Instant Pot

LilyWDW

Going to My Happy Place
Does anyone have an Instant Pot? Which one do you have? Do you like it? What sort of things do you use it for?

I am looking into getting one. While researching to buy a Rice Cooker, I realized I could spend a bit more and get an Instant Pot instead which can not only cook rice but also do other things. Still in the research stage but will have the money by next month to get it so want to make a decision soon.

Love my Instant Pot. Cook with it every week. I make all kinds of things — sesame chicken, French dip sandwiches, cheesecake, burrito bowls, etc. Check out pressurecookingtoday.com or thisoldgal.com for terrific recipes. There’s also a MASSIVE Instant Pot Facebook community where you can learn a lot.

As for model, get at least a 6-quart. Make sure you don’t accidentally buy the Instant Pot brand slow cooker. It’s oval-shaped. You want a round-shaped electric pressure cooker.

Have fun learning and experimenting. It really is an amazing appliance!

Roast, soup, ribs, applesauce, chicken and dumplings, baked potatoes, meatloaf, boiled eggs, corn on the cob.

I have an 8 quart InstantPot duo.

Last edited:
We use ours fairly often. There are lots of recipes on Pinterest and youtube. My favorite thing to cook is roast because each one has been tender and it cooks so much faster than in an oven or regular pot. This is the description of the InstantPot we bought:
Instant Pot DUO80 8 Qt 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer

I have (2) 6 qts-one is my son's, and a 3 qt mini. I've been an IP user for 3 years.

Daily, we make brown rice, hard or soft boiled eggs and steel cut oats. Any meat that requires long time to cook to become tender such as in a crockpot can be done quickly in an IP. I can come home from work and have tender pulled pork, beef stew, roast by 6pm. I recently made grits, risotto is super easy and creamy in the IP, not stirring and adding liquid involved.

I make cheesecakes that turn out fantastic each time. I recently made a boxed cake mix that was delicious-more dense than in the oven. Rice pudding and Mac and cheese is to die for.

Soups are amazing-saute right in the IP. I usually double my soup recipes and it just fills the 6 qt perfectly.

You can really cook anything in an IP. You can steam in it, saute, slow cook (which I've never done-why slow cook when you can cook it fast?) You lose none of the flavor. Some recipes such as ribs require two steps. Cook in IP, throw under the broiler to brown with bbq sauce, same for wings.

I can throw frozen chicken breasts in and they come out cooked (bland unless they've been marinated) in less than 20 minutes.

It's probably the most useful kitchen appliance I've bought in a long time.

I have a 6qt and 3qt. I make chicken, ribs, rice, potatoes, soups, pot roast, etc. there’s an IP Facebook group and people post lots of recipes there. I like that I can dump all the ingredients in and walk away.

I love my Instant Pot and wish I'd had one years ago! My favorite thing I made was Cracker Barrel's chicken and dumplins. Oh it was soooooo good (it was better warmed up the next day, but still so good!) I've cooked chicken breasts in there for chicken tacos, rice, stew, but the thing that makes me wish I'd had one years ago - mashed potatoes!! DD15 loves mashed potatoes, seriously, she would eat them every day for every meal if I would let her. It is so much quicker in the Instant Pot than on the stove!

I love my Instant Pot for pressure cooking but still pull out the old crock pot for slow cooking. Instant Pot slow cooking is underwhelming to say the least! :rolleyes1

I use it for SO many things. Boiled eggs, shredded chicken (to use in everything), Chicken Tikka Masala, rice, oatmeal, yogurt, corned beef....it does it all!

My wife got one from her father for christmas and raved about how awesome it is. It's been over a year and haven't eaten anything out of it that was better than cooking it a different style and many have come out worse, huge waste of money IMO. Now if you are a hurried parent with a bland pallet then sure, go for it.

My mom purchased me an 8qt Bella brand for Christmas. I thought it was unnecessary and would not have asked for it, but I have been using it constantly and love it.

. Now if you are a hurried parent with a bland pallet then sure, go for it.

Bland? Are you sure it’s not the recipes and/or method you’re using? I’m a person who often has to “tone-down” my cooking for company and I have found everything I cook in it to be very flavorful. The only “bland” thing that has come out of mine has been homemade dog food.

My wife got one from her father for christmas and raved about how awesome it is. It's been over a year and haven't eaten anything out of it that was better than cooking it a different style and many have come out worse, huge waste of money IMO. Now if you are a hurried parent with a bland pallet then sure, go for it.

The food is only as good as the recipes you are using. If it's bland, it was a bland recipe. Same for all types of cooking.

We got an 8 quart for Christmas and we love it! We use it about 3 or 4 times a week! I often forget to get the meat out of the freezer to cook so it is a miracle that I can go from frozen to dinner in less than an hour. We make chicken/pork, popcorn, rice/quinoa/couscous, beans in it most of the time. One of our faves is a whole chicken, with chicken broth, seasoned well...in less than an hour...it is the most flavorful and moistest chicken ever. I have done full chickens in the oven and in the crock pot but the instant pot is better every time. The one I would compare it to is the beer can chicken we do on the grill. My friend was going to get a clay pot for beans but went for the instant pot instead and swears that the results are the same.

Yesterday, I took out 2 lbs of frozen chicken breast, seasoned it up, put about a cup of chicken broth on the bottom and placed it on the grate that comes with it. My friends stopped by for a cocktail and chat by the fire and I could pay all my attention on them. The chicken stayed warm until they left and I shredded the chicken to smaller pieces and froze it for this week. We will use it in salads, school lunches, in some rice dishes or even some chicken noodle soup. So easy!

Another great thing is that I have a friend who does the Wildtree meal workshops where you prepare 10 meals to go into the freezer for later. I have done a bunch of those meals from frozen (with a little broth) and they come out amazing! There are some things that I find are better the typical way but overall it is a great success for us!

Last edited:
I also bought mine after looking to replace my rice cooker.

I like having it and find it a useful tools for some things, but don't think it is the end all, be all that some people (especially on the facebook page) seem to think. I tried several recipes, but for the most part start to finish recipes are not nearly as good, IMO, as what I make in other ways---and only some things are really faster when you include time to come to pressure and depressurize--though you can walk away from it while it cooks. I think most of the people who really love the instantpot and use it almost exclusively aar3e not particularly good cooks and/or people who do not enjoy cooking.

I find mine most useful for:

rice and other grains

potatoes and sweet potatoes (these truly do cook faster)

dry beans (also faster)

boiled eggs

Does anyone have an Instant Pot? Which one do you have? Do you like it? What sort of things do you use it for?

I am looking into getting one. While researching to buy a Rice Cooker, I realized I could spend a bit more and get an Instant Pot instead which can not only cook rice but also do other things. Still in the research stage but will have the money by next month to get it so want to make a decision soon.

You have to remember the instant pot is a tool. And like any other tool there are some things it is good at, some not. Ads these days all make it seem like you can throw out every other tool in the kitchen. It slow cooks it fast cooks it browns, get rid of those pots and pans, get rid of that microwave. Heck. Get rid of your stove too!!! You can even get rid of your fridge, dishwasher and sink!!!! Uh no.

The Awesome. Hard boiled eggs. Though it doesn't save time, the shell will come off readily and easily.
Soft boiled eggs. Yeah!! You can make them just as runny or not as you wish.
Back when I was learning these things conventionally, I think it took me two dozen or so duds before I perfected my technique (I was just a kid then.) With the instant pot, it took me well None. I think most anyone could do it with an instant pot.
Yogurt. Those of you that make yogurt will find it does an excellent job.

The Good. It's fast and relatively hassle free.
It pretty much did just as good or better than a stand alone slow cooker.
It is nearly idiot proof. Gone are the exploding oopsies.
You don't have to hover or constantly check like you would other cooking techniques.
Things like Artichokes or Beets or other large vegetables come out nice.
Stews and soups are usually really good in the instant pot. How bout an hour or an hour and a half for dried beans instead of well all day?

The Bad.
You will find that for a lot of things, the instant pot is a compromise on quality vs another more proper technique. Some things are a slight compromise that some may not even notice. Others are a major compromise.
Your instant pot will not be better for most of your vegetables either in time or in quality.
You mentioned a rice cooker. In my experience, though it doesn't come out bad in the instant pot, the rice comes out better in a specialized rice cooker. But am I going to buy a rice cooker just for that? No. The old fashioned way to cook rice is fairly easy itself. So don't buy an instant pot just to cook rice.
Yes you can brown in it, but browning isn't just done for flavor. It is done for texture. The drawback is you will lose the vast majority of the texture in the instant pot.
It isn't the right tool for some jobs. Don't throw filet mignon steaks in your instant pot. :) There is a better tool for that job.

In short the instant pot is a tool. IMO it is a very nice tool. But it is only as good as the person using it. It isn't a miracle appliance. Don't think you're going to be able to throw out everything else you've ever cooked with (unless you're just that bad at it.)

Last edited:
I love my Instant Pot and wish I'd had one years ago! My favorite thing I made was Cracker Barrel's chicken and dumplins. Oh it was soooooo good (it was better warmed up the next day, but still so good!)!

Ummm... do you have a recipe for the chicken and dumplins? Because that sounds really good and like something I would enjoy.

I love my Instant Pot for pressure cooking but still pull out the old crock pot for slow cooking. Instant Pot slow cooking is underwhelming to say the least! :rolleyes1

No worries there! I actually have 2 full sized slow cookers. I will be getting rid of one of them but it's old and I have not used it in the 4 years since I moved here. I do use my other one quite often.

In short the instant pot is a tool. IMO it is a very nice tool. But it is only as good as the person using it. It isn't a miracle appliance. Don't think you're going to be able to throw out everything else you've ever cooked with (unless you're just that bad at it.)

I have no plans on getting rid of anything else. I want it for things a lot of people mentioned; eggs, oatmeal, potatoes, chicken, soups, stews... just in less time. It just happened to come up when I was looking for a rice cooker and I would rather have something that can do many things then something that is for one thing. I have really bad luck when it comes to cooking rice. I forget about it while i am cooking other things so I need something to help with that (tired of scraping rice off the bottom of the pans).

Thank you all for the advice! Right now I am looking at the 6qt Lux or Duo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter