Insuring a "rebuild"

horse11

DIS Veteran
any one out there ever purchased a car with a "rebuild title?" If so were you able to get full coverage on it? Has anyone ever totaled their rebuild car and if so how did your insurance handle it. We just lost our Impala which we only had since last May due to an accident involving a deer. My husband is wanting to replace the Impala and found a rebuild he would like to buy however I am worried about getting it insured and worry will will take a huge loss if God for bid he hits a deer with it. We live out in the country so I swear the deer look for you lol!!

I am in Canada with different insurance but I just bought a rebuilt title and had no problems getting full insurance on it.

any one out there ever purchased a car with a "rebuild title?" If so were you able to get full coverage on it? Has anyone ever totaled their rebuild car and if so how did your insurance handle it. We just lost our Impala which we only had since last May due to an accident involving a deer. My husband is wanting to replace the Impala and found a rebuild he would like to buy however I am worried about getting it insured and worry will will take a huge loss if God for bid he hits a deer with it. We live out in the country so I swear the deer look for you lol!!

I work in the industry. I'd recommend calling your carrier, as each one has a different guideline as to how they handle rebuilds. Some will give you full coverage, some will give you just liability, some won't touch them in any fashion.

If something were to happen to it and you had full coverage, you can expect to get around 30-45% less than normal market value for it.

No offense, but I wouldn't consider a rebuilt Impala. It's a solid A to B car for sure, I was actually just shopping them a few weeks ago (I'm a total car nut), but they're dirt cheap. So buying a prior salvage doesn't make a ton of sense, IMO, unless you're getting it for next to nothing. I'm assuming you're referring to the pre-2014 version.

I work in the industry. I'd recommend calling your carrier, as each one has a different guideline as to how they handle rebuilds. Some will give you full coverage, some will give you just liability, some won't touch them in any fashion.

If something were to happen to it and you had full coverage, you can expect to get around 30-45% less than normal market value for it.

No offense, but I wouldn't consider a rebuilt Impala. It's a solid A to B car for sure, I was actually just shopping them a few weeks ago (I'm a total car nut), but they're dirt cheap. So buying a prior salvage doesn't make a ton of sense, IMO, unless you're getting it for next to nothing. I'm assuming you're referring to the pre-2014 version.

I agree 100%.
I wouldn't ever buy a rebuilt (salvage title here) car. But I know folks who swear by them. But, they tend to be auto mechanics or very handy with cars. A friend has been a Toyota dealer mechanic since 1969, He swears by salvage title cars. He also claims to have never paid more than $1,000 for a car. I've known him for 20 years and he is still driving his 1982 Toyota Pickup. Totaled (rolled) with 50,000 miles on it. He pieced together parts, and is into the car for something like $950. He now has 400,000+ miles on it. But he has skills I don't have.

I agree with just calling your carrier. We lease so we change up our cars every 3 years, but I always call our insurance agent before we decide on a make and model to see what the insurance rates would be on the ones we're considering. I imagine your agent/carrier can advise the same on coverage and cost in your situation. Good luck!

Technically she didn't say it was a rebuilt Impala that her husband was looking at, just a rebuild to replace the Impala that they lost.

Unless you're rebuilding the Impala, or restoring a 57 Chevy, I'd stay away from a salvage title.

The hassle is not worth the savings or the possibility of what may or may not await.

It's a gamble either way you look at it in most cases.

Call your carrier. No one here can really tell you what would happen as it depends on different factors.

no it is a 2017 with a little over 9000 miles on it. the damage was only to the back end which as been completely redone passed inspection and is like a brand new car. It is a Premier and is loaded including heated and air conditioned seats. Our insurance will provide full coverage and will cost us the same as we were paying. The price on the car is 20,500

no it is a 2017 with a little over 9000 miles on it. the damage was only to the back end which as been completely redone passed inspection and is like a brand new car. It is a Premier and is loaded including heated and air conditioned seats. Our insurance will provide full coverage and will cost us the same as we were paying. The price on the car is 20,500
WAY too much for a rebuilt car. Here's an identical one on auto trader for $25K.https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...hRadius=200&makeCode1=CHEV&modelCode1=CHEVIMP

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole for that price. Maybe $15k would have me interested, but not $20k. If it was hit hard enough to total it when it was that new, it was probably hit HARD. Not that it can't be repaired right, but far too often they're repaired sloppily and are a mess. I've seen it...many times. Only other possibility is that it was a former rental car. Often, if a rental is an accident, the rental company will total it even if it's not damaged badly. It's a business decision they make. I'd insist on seeing the repair estimate, having it professionally inspected and pay no more than $15k for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter