Insuring ECV

EpcotQueen

DIS Veteran
Called our insurance carrier for home and car. They do have coverage for our new ECV. $80 a year. Not sure of coverage details yet but will let all know when we get the details. Has anyone else done this?

Called our insurance carrier for home and car. They do have coverage for our new ECV. $80 a year. Not sure of coverage details yet but will let all know when we get the details. Has anyone else done this?

Thank you. No, I haven't, but I need too.

Since I don't have a car, I don't have car insurance.

I did buy yearly trip travel insurance to cover my airline flights, vacations, etc.

I would be interested in your experience.

My home insurance in Atlanta, Georgia is with State Farm.

Yeah, it would be covered by an insurance rider (supplement) attached to homeowner's or renter's insurance.

My car is registered in Arkansas. I never asked about my ecv but I was told that my power chair is covered at no additional charge by State Farm. I have home and car insurance not sure which one covers it. It could be homeowners.

Ok, finalized the policy. It’s a separate personal property policy thru State Farm. Covering the ECV for up to $2k. Covers almost everything between t deliberate damage. Airline dumps it off the luggage belt to cargo hold and it’ll cover anything airline does not.

Ok, finalized the policy. It’s a separate personal property policy thru State Farm. Covering the ECV for up to $2k. Covers almost everything between t deliberate damage. Airline dumps it off the luggage belt to the cargo hold and it’ll cover anything airline does not.

Thank you for the info. I am going to call my State Farm agent now to add a policy.

Just a thought, at $80 a month, you could simply create your own insurance plan by putting that money in a savings account that yields even a small amount of interest (I use an onlline bank that gives at least 2% on savings) and you would have the $2,000 in the account in about two years and you could literally cover anything that happens with it and not risk your insurance increasing because you filed a claim. Now if this $80 a month included liability insurance, medical coverage in the even of an accident with the ECV, etc., then that would be a bit different.

Just a thought, at $80 a month, you could simply create your own insurance plan by putting that money in a savings account that yields even a small amount of interest (I use an onlline bank that gives at least 2% on savings) and you would have the $2,000 in the account in about two years and you could literally cover anything that happens with it and not risk your insurance increasing because you filed a claim. Now if this $80 a month included liability insurance, medical coverage in the even of an accident with the ECV, etc., then that would be a bit different.

I can certainly see your point - the one place where I think it might be beneficial is if an airline accidentally damaged the device so badly that it left @EpcotQueen without a mobility device to use. The insurance company might stand a better chance of getting her a swift and complete resolution than trying to do that on her own; it's possible that the insurance company might go ahead and pay out so that she could get another set of wheels, and go on, while the insurance company wrangled with the airline.

I have to say that I'm kind of surprised at the $80/month figure! It seems a bit high, and I don't know if that's because of scope of the policy, or because the insurance company figures it more likely to be stolen/damaged than most other items covered by a rider?

Personal mobility devices, or other high-cost equipment needed for disabilities, can be covered as a rider on one's homeowner's or renter's insurance policy. It is usually very easy to add with a simple call to your insurance agent. If someone does not have homeowner's or renter's insurance, you should be able to get coverage for personal property (but I also recommend considering what you have for coverage of your other belongings in the event of fire or other loss, do NOT rely on your landlord's policy). Anyone who uses a trailer or exterior add-on to their vehicle, I suggest mentioning it to your car insurance agent as well, to be sure you are covered for any incidents that might occur during transport.

Enjoy your vacation!

My scooter only cost $600 so I did not insure it. I did fly with it twice.

I have not flown with my Whill cI. But the whill rep who brought me one to try flys with it a lot and hasn’t had a problem. But it has less vulnerable pieces than many power chairs or scooters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!