Interested In DVC for Cheapest point cost rooms

AKNOTTS66

Mouseketeer
So My Wife and I have been interested in DVC for a while. We've been going to Disney World Almost every year since 2015 and we plan to keep going almost every year. DVC Seems like a good option for us. I've looked into Resale a lot and Direct and read the limitations and advantages and disadvantages of both for a while. The Resorts we are most likely looking into are the ones with longer expiration dates like AKV, SSR, BLT, and Riv. I am 30 and my wife is 29 so we def plan to go for the next 30 years. We are also looking to stay in the lowest point cost rooms like the Value Studios or Deluxe Studios. Its just us 2 until we have kids(max most likely is family of 4). Is it hard to book Value Studios at AKV at 11 months out? Our times we will almost always be going will be in June and July since my wife is a Teacher so I'd say June more likely. What would a good Use year be for us if we plan on going in june every year and july some years? We were thinking of buying 160 resale or 100 direct for now. Bay Lake Tower has a lower Annual Due than AKV does and SSR expires 3 years before AKV and 6 before BLT. I'm not thinking the Direct benefits are really worth it but they might be as we usually buy annual passes, can a DVC Gold Pass be used in June or july or is it blacked out?

Also if I'm booking Studio rooms does this Lockout thing hurt me? What resort has more Studio rooms out of AKV, SSR, BLT or Riviera? If we did buy 100 points for Rivieria we would almost never sell it. I'd either like to buy 100 points direct to start or 160 resale to start.

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are.

DVC GOLD pass does have blackout dates around Easter and Christmas. No summer dates are blacked out.

Standard studios at DRR are expected to book up in the 11 month window, so you'd need to be sure to make your reservations as soon as the window opens. The summer months have not historically been as popular for DVC Members as has Fall & early Winter (mid-September - Marathon Weekend in January). If you book at 11 months, you should not have a problem getting standard studios at DRR.

Value studios are much more limited in number at AKV than the other categories. Those can be quite a challenge to get, even if you try to book the instant the 11 month window opens. If you buy AKV, it's best to plan on getting standard studios which do not book up as quickly, and then consider it a bonus if you are lucky enough to get a value

Although the data used for the following thread is historical, it is still a very good guide to avilbiloity:

Predicted DVC booking patterns - Studios, 1-BD & 2-BD charts (September 2019 2-BD added!)

In general, there is a LOT of competition for the cheapest accommodations, and it is increasing as many are buying (or have bought) only enough points to stay in them. If you are planning to buy based on getting the cheapest, plan to stay at your home resort and book at 11 months. The cheapest rooms are almost never available at 7 months, especially at the near park resorts (BLT, VGF, PVB, BCV, BWV). CCV has also been a problem for studios (even at 11 months for some times of the year). I expect that to hold true for DRR as well.

My advice is to continue to research and consider buying enough points so that you will not be frustrated if/when you are unsuccessful in getting the least expensive rooms.

Good luck!.

My thoughts are you cannot count on being able to book the lowest cost rooms, if you get one, bonus!, but you cannot count on it. AKV Value/Concierge, BLT Standard, Riv Tower Studio.

I own at BLT and have enough points for the vacation I want in a lake view room. If I get the standard room, fantastic, I have a few extra points to bank into the future, or extend the trip a day or two, but I do not count on it.

If you're only visiting once a year, the DVC Gold pass probably isn't worth it. Buying Riv direct makes sense, other locations resale is the way to go.

So My Wife and I have been interested in DVC for a while. We've been going to Disney World Almost every year since 2015 and we plan to keep going almost every year. DVC Seems like a good option for us. I've looked into Resale a lot and Direct and read the limitations and advantages and disadvantages of both for a while. The Resorts we are most likely looking into are the ones with longer expiration dates like AKV, SSR, BLT, and Riv. I am 30 and my wife is 29 so we def plan to go for the next 30 years. We are also looking to stay in the lowest point cost rooms like the Value Studios or Deluxe Studios. Its just us 2 until we have kids(max most likely is family of 4). Is it hard to book Value Studios at AKV at 11 months out? Our times we will almost always be going will be in June and July since my wife is a Teacher so I'd say June more likely. What would a good Use year be for us if we plan on going in june every year and july some years? We were thinking of buying 160 resale or 100 direct for now. Bay Lake Tower has a lower Annual Due than AKV does and SSR expires 3 years before AKV and 6 before BLT. I'm not thinking the Direct benefits are really worth it but they might be as we usually buy annual passes, can a DVC Gold Pass be used in June or july or is it blacked out?

Also if I'm booking Studio rooms does this Lockout thing hurt me? What resort has more Studio rooms out of AKV, SSR, BLT or Riviera? If we did buy 100 points for Rivieria we would almost never sell it. I'd either like to buy 100 points direct to start or 160 resale to start.

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are.
Honestly, I think with most resorts at their current prices (both direct and resale) it makes more financial sense for many people just to rent points instead of purchasing DVC. When you factor in maintenance cost every year, SSR is about the only resort it makes sense to buy at instead of renting points. Plus, that is when going through the two big biggest point rental companies. When you start talking about renting points through members directly, buying even makes less sense.

Based on current numbers, you would save $714 per year on annual pass renewals by purchasing direct.

Double that for a family of 4.

I have only resale points, but my observation is that people who have purchased smaller direct contacts for new DVC resorts have done pretty well on the value of their points. I think buying 100 points of Riviera before the 29th of this month would not be a bad idea at all. I think buying Rivera after the price increase at the end of the month is much harder to defend. I will say that I put a much higher value on the extras then others do, I love the lounge at Epcot and have been known to fly to Orlando for one day just to attend Moonlight Magic events.

I would say that since you are already buying an AP every year, it does make buying direct come into the picture,

However, the studios at RIV, even the SV ones are more comparable point wise to VGF, Poly, and BLT LV.

One thing to know is that if you buy resale, you will be locked out of staying at RIV or any other future resorts.

I just added on at RIV, and I really like the resort. With it being just the 2 of you, you may find the Tower studios a good option to stretch your points right now...even though those might be tough, if you don’t own there, you won’t have a chance. I booked one for August at 9 months out. This could help in RIV making sense for you.

Honestly, I think with most resorts at their current prices (both direct and resale) it makes more financial sense for many people just to rent points instead of purchasing DVC. When you factor in maintenance cost every year, SSR is about the only resort it makes sense to buy at instead of renting points. Plus, that is when going through the two big biggest point rental companies. When you start talking about renting points through members directly, buying even makes less sense.
This is why we are buying SSR resale. We plan to go a lot and rent Vs buying there breaks even faster than the others

April or June UY.

Lock out's do not really hurt you all that much one way or the other, but dedicated 2 bedrooms help, as once booked they do not take a potential studio out of play. . Once a 2 bed room lock off gets booked you know have one less studio available. But as long as a resort has dedicated 2 bed rooms, that gives the person booking a 2BR an opportunity to take one that will not reduce studio inventory With your travel time frame, I do not think you need to factor this in.

SSR has 432 2 bedroom lock offs, 0 dedicated studios
AKV 256 2 bedroom lock offs, 46 dedicated (all in Jambo house)
BLT- 133 2 bedroom lock offs
I dont have numbers on DRR

I would not factor this in really based on your travel times, you should be able to get a studio, just maybe not the cheapest one.

Do not buy AKV with the thought you are going to be staying in a value room, you probably will not be.

I would not buy direct just for the AP discount I would pay fill price and get one every other year. IE go the 3rd week of august one year, and the 1st week the next, use on AP, then you dont need one for another year

Edited to fix wherever my brain was when I wrote this originally

Last edited:
Example, VGF has 47 2 bedroom lock offs, and 0 dedicated. Once a 2 bed room gets booked you know have one less studio available. Had they had dedicated 2 bed rooms they maybe that would have gotten booked instead.
VGF has 47 dedicated and 47 lockoff 2 bedrooms. The only resort without dedicated 2 bedrooms is BWV.

RVA - 24 Tower Studios - 38 Dedicated Studios - 29 Dedicated 1BR villas - 90 Dedicated 2BR villas - 148 Lockoff 2BR villas - 12 Grand Villas = 341 Villas / 489 Maximum Available

Look at post 6 on the sticky post for DVC resource center for more detail.

VGF has 47 dedicated and 47 lockoff 2 bedrooms. The only resort without dedicated 2 bedrooms is BWV.
Yes, my bad, that is correct, 47, 47 and 6 GVs

That was a serious brain fart on my part, I have no idea what I was thinking

April or May UY.

Lock out's do not really hurt you all that much one way or the other, but dedicated 2 bedrooms help, as once booked they do not take a potential studio out of play. Example, VGF has 47 2 bedroom lock offs, and 0 dedicated. Once a 2 bed room gets booked you know have one less studio available. Had they had dedicated 2 bed rooms they maybe that would have gotten booked instead. With your travel time frame, I do not think you need to factor this in.

SSR has 432 2 bedroom lock offs, 0 dedicated studios
AKV 256 2 bedroom lock offs, 46 dedicated (all in Jambo house)
BLT- 133 2 bedroom lock offs
I dont have numbers on DRR

I would not factor this in really based on your travel times, you should be able to get a studio, just maybe not the cheapest one.

Do not buy AKV with the thought you are going to be staying in a value room, you probably will not be.

I would not buy direct just for the AP discount I would pay fill price and get one every other year. IE go the 3rd week of august one year, and the 1st week the next, use on AP, then you dont need one for another year

There is no May UY.

RVA - 24 Tower Studios - 38 Dedicated Studios - 29 Dedicated 1BR villas - 90 Dedicated 2BR villas - 148 Lockoff 2BR villas - 12 Grand Villas = 341 Villas / 489 Maximum Available

Look at post 6 on the sticky post for DVC resource center for more detail.
But we are still not knowing the Standard vs. Preferred split, which is going to be key when we talk about cheapest units.

If you are looking for the cheapest, those will not be at Riv. The cost per night in tower studios is equal to, or more than, many other resorts standard studios. Couple that with a direct purchase price, and you're spending a lot for that room.

To get the cheapest rooms in each resort, you will need to own there. Some room categories, like AKV's value rooms, book within moments of opening of booking on the morning. Others, like BLT's standard view, can linger for weeks depending upon season or disappear the day booking opens. It's a crap shoot whether you can get these rooms every year.

Resale can save you 25-40% over direct prices, but you aren't going to get the annual pass discount (which is not guaranteed to continue). Calculate your savings in buying resale versus how.many years you would need to buy annual passes to break even on the savings, and I think you'll find that resale is a screaming good deal.

I own at both BLT and BWV....both of which have standard view rooms. I've had great luck in getting standard view rooms at 11 months but they are usually gone at 8:01am. I always suggest to anyone looking at purchase to always buy enough points to get the middle view. I have enough points for Lake View at BLT and Pool/Garden view at BWV. Best case is you get the standard view and have extra points to bank or add a day to your vacation. Only having enough points to get the cheapest view and NOT getting it at 11 months means having to lose days of your vacation or be in perpetual borrowing mode.

We bought in just short of my 30th bday and I don't regret it for a second. The only thing I wish I would have done is buy more points. So if I was you I'd try and give yourself a cushion to protect on not getting the lowest view and also any future reallocations to seasons.

Last edited:
I own at both BLT and BWV....both of which have standard view rooms. I've had great luck in getting standard view rooms at 11 months but they are usually gone at 8:01am. I always suggest to anyone looking at purchase to always buy enough points to get the middle view. I have enough points for Lake View at BLT and Pool/Garden view at BWV. Best case is you get the standard view and have extra points to bank or add a day to your vacation. Only having enough points to get the cheapest view and NOT getting it at 11 months means having to lose days of your vacation or be in perpetual borrowing mode.

We bought in just short of my 30th bday and I don't regret it for a second. The only thing I wish I would have done is buy more points. So if I was you I'd try and give yourself a cushion to protect on not getting the lowest view and also any future reallocations to seasons.

I completely agree with buying more points! We purchased 400 at SSR even though we typically only use about 180 per year. Right now we rent the rest to fully (and beyond) cover our dues. We have 5 kids so someday there could be QUITE a few grandkids and a yearly trip could easily require all 400 or even more. We factored that in when purchasing. (My oldest is 18 so grandkids are possible in the next 5-10yrs)

Jambo House has no dedicated two bedroom villas, only lockoffs. But Kidani has both. Polynesian has no two bedroom villas at all. Except for the bungalows and they run a lot more than most two bedroom villas.

OP, OKW has studios for 10 points per night a few months out of the year. At least through 2020. In 2021, some nights are 9, some 10, some 11 for the times we usually go and need a studio. But AKV Value villas are hard to book.

I took my family 2 years ago and had no idea about DVC when we went and stayed at BWV on cash. We learned about DVC during that visit. Continued my research and ended up just renting points last year (2019). Since that visit, I got more serious about considering DVC and just recently put an offer on a PVB contract. All things considered, the family loves MK but I love Epcot. So all things considered we wanted a MK resort, but also on the Monorail for ease of access to Epcot. We don't plan on going every year and plan on banking our points, which brings me to my main point.

Consider your vacation trends, time of year, length, and the resorts/rooms you will book and points needed. That will help with the amount of points you need. For us, we plan on going every other year and plan on banking. Consider your banking window when considering your use year. Each use year has a different banking window. I never considered this until right before putting offers in on contracts. December proved to be the best option for us.

I just re-listened to a DVC show today where they said that to buy where you would want to stay, BUT, if you don't plan a vacation 7 months or longer out, look at value. Right now SSR is just about as good as you can get for value. I created a spreadsheet that helped with true price that factored in annual dues, price per point, along with years left on contract.

I just can't wait to tell the kids that we own at PVB and will be making years of magical memories even into their adult life. :)

I created a spreadsheet that helped with true price that factored in annual dues, price per point, along with years left on contract.

Can you post this spread sheet?
I too have done this. See attached
(disclaimer - some values may be a bit off)

Attachments

• costs.pdf
    79.5 KB · Views: 40

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!