Interested in opinions on this

pkpope

Earning My Ears
so i’ve always been a disney world local, but i wonder what it’s like to be a disneyland local. What are the pro’s and con’s? Is it all that different? So i’m genuinely interested just on hearing people’s opinions on the subject.

Do you think it would be better to be a disney world local or disneyland local? Why or why not?

depends....I am a "six flags" local....can see one from my back deck, and i have not been in 6 years.

i am sure Disney would be different. But living so close to something like that makes it no longer "special" and I am sure the tourist get in the way of every day life enough that locals try and stay away.

LA has more job opportunities than Orlando
Florida has no state income tax
The cost of living in Orlando is less
Orlando has more humidity
LA has more traffic
Disneyland has the Matterhorn and the real Pirates of the Caribbean
WDW has three and a half parks to LA's two
Orlando has a better Harry Potter Experience
LA has the Dodgers
No hurricanes in LA
No major earthquakes in Orlando
Traffic everywhere in LA
LA has more. Just more. Restaurants, Clubs, Sports, Crime, Movies, people
Orlando has less, and less can be more

Pick your poison.

I can't say whether it is better to be a DL local or a WDW local, they are very different resorts and while there are things I definitely prefer about DL (for example the convenience of everything at DL is a huge plus) however there are things like all of the dining options at all the resorts at WDW that are a big plus too.

Even though both have similarities (Magic Kingdom-style parks for example) there are big differences between the two (there are actually more rides in DL park compared to MK and some that are unique to the park, like Indiana Jones or the Matterhorn) that make each a unique experience so it is definitely worth visiting DL.

first, Disneyland is Mecca to many folks, who have roots to the first decade it was open, in the 60s we did not even have to visit Disneyland to become part of the worship as we could watch Walt on Sunday nights, in our PJs, freshly showered for bed, ready for Monday, a week closer to Disneyland . Disneyland, above all others is a religious experience. An experience we can do at will, any day, any hour. Many folks have visited this site sharing of the need to become local to Disneyland. Just recently a bus route from an eastern end urban city, beyond the borders of urban LA, had been introduced to bring folks straight to the Disneyland sidewalk. Two hour bus ride and you can be a Disneyland Local. So that those locals, hours out, could play and work at Disneyland. I will soon be riding that bus once a month to the Disneyland transits bus stop. I desire to be a local.

second, California/Western United States culture is historically different from any culture east of the Mississippi. There are few culture bounds to draw us to parades,( St. Patricks Day, Columbus Day, conventions) festivals, statehood celebrations, even sports that are very common in the East. Rose Parade is about the extent of west coast culture that draws a segment of national TV audience. Disneyland becomes the replacement for that absent culture

with the above in mind, the true Disneyland visitor will never lose the magic of visiting, it has been passed down on those Sunday nights or by our parents or grandparents, the yearly visits. It is our culture.

Every culture has a texture and Disneyland provides that on an hourly basis. I am pained ( hallowed ground) by first time visitor folks who want to visit Disneyland and DCA in one day, three days is barely enough to see Disneyland. It is akin to tearing apart that Christmas present, wrapping and ribbons flying, on to the next opportunity. Instead, Disneyland should be the family opening gifts, slowly, with anticpation, watching one at a time the gift being exposed. Months, days, hours.

Disneyland is an addiction. That is the negative of being a local. Every free moment is spent at Disneyland on the AP ticket freedom. Night is different than day. Morning different than afternoon. Celebration is allowed in a dining situation. Friends gathered together at Disneyland have mutual interest. No missed putts, no 9 innings of sitting in a small seat. No fighting traffic to see sunset. No argument of a BBQ menu. No family clowns. Photos. Just a free night of magical fun. California and the world from that Disneyland sofa.

LA has more traffic
LA has the Dodgers
No hurricanes in LA
Traffic everywhere in LA

Pick your poison.

I’d pick FL for all the reasons you list... except - you forgot ALLIGATORS.

I’ll stay in WNY

LA has more traffic
LA has the Dodgers
No hurricanes in LA
Traffic everywhere in LA

Pick your poison.

Except Disneyland isn't in LA. It's in Anaheim, in Orange County (not even Los Angeles County).

I am a Disneyland local and live just south of the parks. I never go to LA. I hate LA.

I go to Disneyland every week almost. Never gets old or boring. We don't live in a "tourist area."

Except Disneyland isn't in LA.

A distinction that's only valid if you live in Orange county. Everywhere else, LA encompasses everything down to San Diego and up to San Francisco.

Ask ten random people from the East Coast what city Disneyland is in if you don't believe me.

A distinction that's only valid if you live in Orange county. Everywhere else, LA encompasses everything down to San Diego and up to San Francisco.

Ask ten random people from the East Coast what city Disneyland is in if you don't believe me.

Um..okay. I have lived in CA since 1994 and prior to moving here I grew up in NJ and New York. I didn't think that LA encompassed "most of CA." I think most people understand that LA is a city in a HUGE state. I never knew anyone who thought Disneyland was in LA. I have known it was in Anaheim since I was a very young child.

Um..okay. I have lived in CA since 1994 and prior to moving here I grew up in NJ and New York. I didn't think that LA encompassed "most of CA." I think most people understand that LA is a city in a HUGE state. I never knew anyone who thought Disneyland was in LA. I have known it was in Anaheim since I was a very young child.

People posting here do not count in the "random" category. You are clearly above average.

Hmmmm......what is the name of the baseball team next to Disneyland?

DLR is much easier to go on a whim than WDW, especially with paper FP or maxpass vs FP+ that needed to be booked 60 days in advance...

My parents live in Orlando and have annual passes to WDW. Locals (such as they and their friends) go and watch the shows and parades. maybe ride a few rides. It may not be as concentrated in terms of rides, but they have more space and variety to explore.

Shows how informed they are, they would get upset if they lived in hoboken and really it is brooklyn.

Jack

That has a long and complex history. I will always call them the Anaheim Angels, though.

"On January 3, 2005 Angels Baseball, L.P. announced that it would change the name of the club from Anaheim Angels to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim." So, fair to say they are both Los Angeles and Anaheim. I personally think they should go back to being the California Angels.

I spent my first almost 26 years in San Diego and now been in the southern part of Los Angeles county for four years. Never been to FL except for one week when we went to WDW in 1996. I personally love being a local here. Probably the biggest plus is that you can just walk across to the other park - 5 minutes gate to gate. Not doing that at WDW!

Except Disneyland isn't in LA. It's in Anaheim, in Orange County (not even Los Angeles County).

I am a Disneyland local and live just south of the parks. I never go to LA. I hate LA.

You can't lump all of LA together either. I live in the south bay. It's LA County, but its not downtown LA. Pretty much Cerritos to El Segundo is not too bad, but after that is when LA gets awful. That's why a lot of military people who are stationed here don't want to come here because they think of LA as all being like downtown LA. Nope, plenty of LA that is still easily to traverse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!