Interesting article, Disney may have finally exceeded the price people will pay

Depends on where you are in the east I guess. We tent camp here in WNY near/on Lake Erie usually about 3 times each summer, usually no issues with rain or humidity up yonder. I think maybe 1 night last year we had rain overnight, and this year nothing. Then once or twice a year we get fancy and rent a full-amenities cabin at a state park. I've never been further west than Ohio but would love to one day get out west to Wyoming, Oregon, etc to camp.

My 2 interests are hugely juxtaposed... the great, grand, splendor and beauty of nature, and then the complete, man-made, engineering of Disney World. But they both have one thing in common I guess, an active vacation (beaches are OK too but I get bored real quick). Our budget leans more towards the first one though!!

When I go to Hawaii, I go hiking. I’m not a beach person either.

I love Disneyland, but it’s a short weekend trip for me. I’d rather spend a week at a National Park than WDW. Taking buses everywhere gets stressful.

A common viewpoint is that WDW visitors are much less discerning about the quality, value and experience expected out of a Disney park visit.

Agreed. I was shocked at the relatively poor ride quality at DW compared to Disneyland. I would think the flagship park would get the best attractions but generally in almost every case the Disneyland version of the ride is superior. Far so in some cases.

I love camping.

When I was in my 20s and poor like every other university graduate, I discovered my love for the outdoors. And I sleep much better in a tent than in my bed at home. However, I strictly do tent camping out west. The humidity out east along with the rainfall make camping miserable.
I remember visiting Everglades National Park in the summer and walking by Flamingo Campground. The sign at the campground entrance booth said it was free to camp. I saw a single tent. My guess is that they would have so few people camping that they figured it wasn't worth it having someone manning the booth, although I suppose they could have had a payment drop box like I've seen at some NPS campgrounds. The other issue would be the possibility of hurricanes.

A common viewpoint is that WDW visitors are much less discerning about the quality, value and experience expected out of a Disney park visit. Quite honestly it seems that TWDC itself holds that same attitude when looking at the very different approaches taken to the operation of the two resorts. There's a widespread expectation that GE will indeed be a roaring success at WDW.
I keep on hearing that there's something special about being able to stay in a bubble of "Disney Magic". However, I don't consider riding in buses all that magical.

The weird thing is, if they only cared about revenue, why would they even include attendance information in these earnings calls? Like, I wonder why those numbers even matter, if revenue is "the most important thing." Clearly, attendance numbers are relevant, and I don't think stock holders feel good about those lower numbers, because they point to future potential revenue issues.

It's like home sale tracking. When home sales numbers in an area are "down", it is a bad thing, regardless of whether the median sale prices are higher or lower. The numbers that reflect BEHAVIORS are as relevant as the numbers that reflect $$$.

So, I don't buy Disney's claim that they have raised prices to lower crowds and provide a better guest experience. That is a bunch of BS. NO company wants "less customers."
I completely AGREE! That was sarcasm on my part! I do not think they are caring at ALL!

I don't think the cost of admission is wholly to blame in the drop in attendance. I have been hesitant to plan another trip (to WDW) because all of the windows for Fast Passes and dining reservations and the price of accommodations have made me dread the planning. I love it there, but fussing with Magic Bands and all the linking of tickets and reservations, etc. is just getting to be too much for a vacation. There are so many layers of planning that it takes the fun and flexibility out of the trip. Now, maybe my husband and family would feel differently because they are not in charge of the arrangements, but at some point I would like to be able to just relax and enjoy the vacation without having to worry about missing some ride or meal or predetermined activity.
While I agree cost isn't going to be the only thing holding people back, it is going to be a large portion.

People say "It's not the cost, I hate all the planning I have to do." But if the cost was low enough, they'd put up with the planning. Let's be realistic, even if you gave up going to Disney because of all the planning, if tickets were only $20pp/day, wouldn't you put up with the planning? Obviously the crowds would be astronomical, but my point is if the cost is low enough, the hassles, whatever they may be, are worth it.

I disagree that you MUST plan so much. We went to MK the day after Christmas a couple years ago. That would be one of the busiest weeks of the year and crowd levels are at 9s and 10s. We got our tickets on Christmas Day. So that was when we could make FP reservations. We're going to have an awful time, right? Here's what we did:

BTMRR
Pluto M&G
Pirates
Small World
Stitch's Escape
Stitch M&G
Monster's Laugh Floor
People Mover
Carousel of Progress
Train
Space Mountain
Lunch, Dole Whips, Ice cream, some shopping.

We were in the park for 11 hours. Obviously we missed some "big names", but we've done most of MK before.

I know that's what we accomplished because I texted my mom the list that evening.

In a way, I think what's going on at Disney is a study in overcompensation.

They made the parks so great that so many people came, that the parks were too crowded and not “great” (in some people’s minds) anymore. - So then the pendulum swings and they raise prices to lower the crowds and keep the people who do come happy and spending more money on souvenirs and food.

They anticipated such crowds for GE that the word got out (cue social media) and people got scared off, and crowds were actually down. - I do think that’s the main reason for low attendance this summer, though I’m sure there are others too.

Everything in business (in life, really) is a balancing act. I think Disney is struggling to find that balance right now.

Agreed. I was shocked at the relatively poor ride quality at DW compared to Disneyland. I would think the flagship park would get the best attractions but generally in almost every case the Disneyland version of the ride is superior. Far so in some cases.

I'd say with the exception of Tower of Terror (when it was still that in DCA) and possibly Splash Mountain depending on one's tastes (WDW is a bit longer as far as show scenes).

I agree. If I wanted to ride buses, I’d live in the city, rather than the suburbs.
For someone that lives rural and never has the opportunity to ride a city bus, it is fun for a few days. :) Definitely wouldn't want to do it daily, though!

You don't know me very well. There are days on vacations where I fed the three of us for less than $20. I can do cheap better than most :)

You're right though, I usually don't budget for the extras or count those in to the total cost.

Can you please teach us how to feed our family on less than $20 a day? I don't think I could feed myself for less than $20/day!

I keep on hearing that there's something special about being able to stay in a bubble of "Disney Magic". However, I don't consider riding in buses all that magical.

I have made that point for years. I really don't consider riding a muni bus for 15 minutes, even one with Mickey on the side ) any more immersive and magical than walking across the street to the gate. And they've made a ton of aesthetic improvements on Harbor. Now WDW does have the value motels which I find quite nice and fun and they have far better pools than the hotels across Harbor. But I also find the convenience of being able to walk back to my room in 5 minutes any time I want rather than 15-20 minutes on a bus. I think the bubble argument was rather a flimsy one.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!