Interesting experience with Delta and luggage

EACarlson

DIS Veteran
Flew out of Minneapolis yesterday with our suitcases tagged for DME. We were there very early due to bad weather and the holiday weekend. Delta actually put our luggage on an earlier flight. I got a notification on the Delta app one minute after that plane pushed back that our bags were on it. Due to operational issues our flight was an hour or so late getting to MCO. Quick change and off to the parks to make our 7DMT FP. As we left our room to head to MK, our bags were just getting delivered.

Normally, Magical Express yellow tagged bags upon arrival at Orlando Int'l Airport are removed to the resorts unsynchronized with guest movements.

Yours got to your room well within the time goal of 3 hours after your check in at the front desk.

Even if your bags were on the same plane you were on, if the baggage truck departed for WDW just after your bags were loaded then your bags will get to your room quite quickly.

Last edited:

I had a flight that was delayed 2 hours. My mom actually came in to pick me up and found my luggage just sitting outside the luggage office a half hour before my flight landed. She took it to the car before I even landed.

Happens a lot to us when our bags are checked with RAC. I assume because we check them in the morning but always take late flights home, so the bags are off to the airport well before we leave. Southwest particularly does this more often than not. We learned some time ago to not panic when our bags don't come in at our flight's bag check. We go to the office and find them every time. We rarely check in far enough ahead of a flight to Disney for them to get on a different flight. Most of the time, we are on the first flight out that day

One time I was flying on American on an RJ standby. i didn‘t make it on, plus they took off 2 or 3 passengers for weight. But my luggage made it on!

Happens a lot to us when our bags are checked with RAC. I assume because we check them in the morning but always take late flights home, so the bags are off to the airport well before we leave. Southwest particularly does this more often than not. We learned some time ago to not panic when our bags don't come in at our flight's bag check. We go to the office and find them every time. We rarely check in far enough ahead of a flight to Disney for them to get on a different flight. Most of the time, we are on the first flight out that day
Not to get too personal, but do you mind if I ask if you fly into Nashville (just going by your username)? We will be taking SWA from Nashville to/from MCO in June and I'm so glad I read your post in case this happens to us. I think I would majorly freak out if we get back to Nashville and our bags don't come in on the baggage claim table from our flight. I think we'll have a mid afternoon flight though (haven't actually booked it yet), so it may not matter. But I'm glad to know this regardless!

I think I would majorly freak out if we get back to Nashville and our bags don't come in on the baggage claim table from our flight.
This is nothing worth freaking out about no matter where you're going. First, you shouldn't have anything irreplaceable or needed within the first 24 hours in your checked luggage. Second, all you have to do if your luggage doesn't show up is go to the airline's baggage office and explain your bags are missing. They'll probably ask for your claim tickets and can lookup where the bags are. If they're not already there, they take your contact information (know where you're staying) and will arrange to get the bags to you. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Last edited:
So a lot of my Delta flights involve little planes- you know, the ones with no overhead bin space for rolling carry-ons. Usually they’ll tag my bag, take it on the plane, and then I’ll pick it up at the gate when we get off. It’s really simple, and there should be no cause for error.

One time, we land in the destination, and we’re all waiting for our bags at the gate. Turns out they forgot to load them, so they threw them on a different plane going to a different airport. The only reason we knew this (because none of the gate agents could figure it out) was because I had scanned my bag to track, so I could see it was headed to Minneapolis instead of Detroit. I eventually got it two days later.

And this is why I don’t even trust that carry-on bags will make it to my destination.

Had an issue with Delta on my return flight (MCO to LAX) in March. I checked my bag at RAC early in the morning on my departure day and then headed off to the park since my flight was like 7-8 PM, so I was not being picked up until 4-4:30 as I recall. Did not think too much about it. Arrive in LAX that night and no bag. Several of groups who had been at Disney sre standing around looking at each other before we asked a Delta person who said all bags from our flight had come out. Went over to the Delta bag office and was told my bag was still sitting at MCO, and they would get it on the next flight and I would get it the next morning (except I knew it would be later as first flight MCO to LAX gets in around 11 AM and I am close to an hour from LAX). Delta blames Disney. I never asked Disney, but I am sure they would blame Delta. Probably culpability on both sides. I am guessing Disney did their job and got the bag to MCO very early for my flight and it got put to the side since my flight was not until the evening and was forgotten about. Me and several others from my flight. I did get my bag back around 3:30 PM the next afternoon. Not a big deal as it was mostly my dirty clothes and a few souvenirs --- I had the important stuff like meds and my IPad.

Not to get too personal, but do you mind if I ask if you fly into Nashville (just going by your username)? We will be taking SWA from Nashville to/from MCO in June and I'm so glad I read your post in case this happens to us. I think I would majorly freak out if we get back to Nashville and our bags don't come in on the baggage claim table from our flight. I think we'll have a mid afternoon flight though (haven't actually booked it yet), so it may not matter. But I'm glad to know this regardless!
I'm in Chattanooga
If we fly Southwest it's out of Atlanta.
So a lot of my Delta flights involve little planes- you know, the ones with no overhead bin space for rolling carry-ons. Usually they’ll tag my bag, take it on the plane, and then I’ll pick it up at the gate when we get off. It’s really simple, and there should be no cause for error.

One time, we land in the destination, and we’re all waiting for our bags at the gate. Turns out they forgot to load them, so they threw them on a different plane going to a different airport. The only reason we knew this (because none of the gate agents could figure it out) was because I had scanned my bag to track, so I could see it was headed to Minneapolis instead of Detroit. I eventually got it two days later.

And this is why I don’t even trust that carry-on bags will make it to my destination.
Me too! Though mine wasn't all the bags that got left, just some. Mine was one. I now limit my essentials too my backpack. It doesn't always mean 24 hours worth but at least toiletries and clean underwear

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!