Interior Design Help!

dosekies

DIS Veteran
I am horrible when it comes to interior design and placing furniture. Below is what the layout of my new apartment will most likely be and I have no clue what the best way to place the living room furniture would be.

TV above the fireplace and couch on an angle? (or get a corner couch to put in front of the fireplace?)

Couch on the wall next to the fireplace and tv somewhere in front of the couch?

TV on the wall next to the fireplace and couch in the middle of the room?

Help please!

TGM_ParkM_A2-Orchid1-1024x702.jpg

This is a tricky one. Do they have a model home set up, and if so, what did they do?

I would favor having the TV over the fireplace and using both of those as your room focus. You would then need to figure out the best way to place your furniture in order to watch tv and fire, while still being open to people who may be working in the kitchen. At some point, though, you may have to pick one over the other.

I don't think you should have too many focal points, though, it would then seem disjointed.

This is a tricky one. Do they have a model home set up, and if so, what did they do?

I would favor having the TV over the fireplace and using both of those as your room focus. You would then need to figure out the best way to place your furniture in order to watch tv and fire, while still being open to people who may be working in the kitchen. At some point, though, you may have to pick one over the other.

I don't think you should have too many focal points, though, it would then seem disjointed.

Unfortunately they don't have a model home for this floor plan!

I would probably get a sectional and put it in the corner where the windows are with the tv above the fireplace or on the long wall beside the fireplace. Then the fireplace is your focus point instead of a big TV. You can always float a chair in there or a big square ottoman/coffee table in that corner too.

I was also thinking of a circular dining table more to the right with a V shaped sectional in front of the fireplace/TV and a couple of plush chairs with a table between them along the wall, maybe - as an option. I would also try a round coffee table between the sofas of the sectional. Remember to mix up your soft fabrics with hard things like glass, wood, metal.

I like the ideas from Pea-n-me. :)

I would be concerned about over-furnishing the room, so I think I would put in a v-shaped sectional facing the fireplace with the tv over it. A coffee table and maybe an end table or two depending on how you feel about space. Then add a small bistro table in the corner by the slider doors. If you need more seating, it looks like you have a kitchen bar to add stools. I’m on my phone, so my rough Mark-up of your photo is the best I could do for a floor plan! Sorry!
Enjoy the new place!
8B1D6489-86BF-4FD8-86E9-0FDB91974948.jpeg

What type of lighting do you have? I think some of this will be determined where your wall sockets are placed for lamps or if there is over head lighting. Don't want to have cords to trip on or be pulled on if kids come to visit.

What if you put a dining table in that area near the bedroom wall and the patio doors. Then you could float a sofa with its back to the dining area (kind of dividing the two spaces). Put the tv on the wall across from the sofa. You could do a reading nook in the corner by the windows and fireplace. I am not a fan of the tv over the fireplace, but that is me. I hope I am describing this so you understand what I am saying.

Good luck. It looks like a nice space.

thank you all! I forgot to mention - we will not have a dining table. this will strictly be a living area, so the biggest concern is the couch and tv. any open space will mostly have a book shelf along the wall or be a little area for the dog to run around or me to workout!

What type of lighting do you have? I think some of this will be determined where your wall sockets are placed for lamps or if there is over head lighting. Don't want to have cords to trip on or be pulled on if kids come to visit.

Good point. I will have to look at that more when we go look at the place again today!

thank you all! I forgot to mention - we will not have a dining table. this will strictly be a living area, so the biggest concern is the couch and tv. any open space will mostly have a book shelf along the wall or be a little area for the dog to run around or me to workout!
Ok, that changes things a bit. (So you will just have chairs up at the counter?)

I might still go with the V shaped sofa in front of the TV/Fireplace and comfy chairs along the wall. If you want a bookcase, I might get one of the big ones with the squares and pull out storage boxes and put it along the wall outside the bedroom. That will give you lots of neat, uncluttered storage while still having some open space to exercise or play with your dog, etc.

The thing I wouldn't do is put all your furniture along the walls. A) it will be hard to see the TV and B) it might just look mismashed. (I am not sure what's most important to you, comfort, style, or a combination of the two!)

I was also thinking that you might consider some modular type furniture so that you can move the pieces around if you want to. Pier One has some. (For the V shaped sofa I was thinking of the IKEA Ektorp.) Walking around IKEA might give you a lot of ideas.

I also meant to say above that besides mixing around fabrics and surfaces, it's also good to mix shapes, which is why I mentioned the round table and/or round coffee table with the other furniture.

Let us know how it turns out!

Ok, that changes things a bit. (So you will just have chairs up at the counter?)

I might still go with the V shaped sofa in front of the TV/Fireplace and comfy chairs along the wall. If you want a bookcase, I might get one of the big ones with the squares and pull out storage boxes and put it along the wall outside the bedroom. That will give you lots of neat, uncluttered storage while still having some open space to exercise or play with your dog, etc.

The thing I wouldn't do is put all your furniture along the walls. A) it will be hard to see the TV and B) it might just look mismashed. (I am not sure what's most important to you, comfort, style, or a combination of the two!)

I was also thinking that you might consider some modular type furniture so that you can move the pieces around if you want to. Pier One has some. (For the V shaped sofa I was thinking of the IKEA Ektorp.) Walking around IKEA might give you a lot of ideas.

I also meant to say above that besides mixing around fabrics and surfaces, it's also good to mix shapes, which is why I mentioned the round table and/or round coffee table with the other furniture.

Let us know how it turns out!

Honestly, the two of us just eat on the couch haha.

We're actually considering the modular furniture so that we can move it around to fit the room when we need to. Thinking about taking the plunge on a nice LoveSac Sactional!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter