Intermediate vs. Standard SUV

bladiator

Disney on my mind
I've often always gotten a fullsize car when I go to MCO and WDW, but recently with the addition of extra people coming on all our trips, I find that we are sitting on luggage and luggage is sitting on us on the trip to wherever we are staying. The trunks on these cars are just way smaller than they let on. So I'd like to get an SUV for the extra storage, but I know that the area behind the backseat isn't THAT much better than a trunk in those things.

So my question is: will the difference between and intermediate and standard get me some extra baggage room or is it just a waste? We will have 4 adults and a toddler, so I can fit that into pretty much every vehicle that can seat 5 people. But all 4 adults will undoubtedly have 1 large piece of luggage. Anybody rented those recently? Thanks.

I know we rented a traverse one year. It was a free upgrade since all the minivans reeked Of smoke. My dh was happy since it’s more comfortable but we should of complained about the trunk space. It had less. Our 6 suitcases (carry on size) fit there but not ur back packs.

Add to the fact it was a beach vacation and we had a cooler, 7 beach chairs, boogie boards, umbrellas, buckets, fishing poles, etc.....it was like a puzzle!

The last 2 years we rented a premium suv-Yukon xl size. But we did a beach vacation so need the space for chairs.

If you have 4 adults traveling with associated luggage, I would rent an SUV instead of a car. Look on the rental car website to see what specific type of vehicle is in each category to make the best selection. Their idea of compact/midsize/etc. usually is different from mine. SUV, in general will give far more space for luggage behind the seats without having to cram things in. Since you aren't driving that far, most SUV's will probably work fine for your purpose.

I drive a Pontiac torrent and my mom has a Tahoe with 3rd row seats. My luggage area is actually larger than hers with seats folded, but hers holds more people. If you get a large suv you could use the 3rd row to hold some luggage. 1 advantage any suv has over a car is that the luggage area is open so you can stack things higher.

Be sure to check a site like Expedia or similar and compare vehicle-to-vehicle on the SUV's. What some companies call Intermediate might be Standard with another company. The large travel sites have an option to display vehicle examples -- USE IT. You will often save money or get a better vehicle for the same price if you are comparing car-to-car and ignoring those categories.

We rented an intermediate SUV for a recent hiking trip in national parks. The Subaru Forester held 4 adults (2 extremely tall) and 4 suitcases full of hiking gear.

To the point of is there a difference in space between a standard SUV and intermediate SUV, yes. Of course each rental car company labels them differently so you'd have to see what models they consider in those categories, I own both a Jeep Grand Cherokee (considered standard by some companies) and a regular Cherokee (considered intermediate by some) and there is definitely more space in my Grand Cherokee both seat wise and cargo wise. HTH

I drive a Pontiac torrent and my mom has a Tahoe with 3rd row seats. My luggage area is actually larger than hers with seats folded, but hers holds more people. If you get a large suv you could use the 3rd row to hold some luggage. 1 advantage any suv has over a car is that the luggage area is open so you can stack things higher.

Where they can be seen by anyone looking for "free goodies"

If you rent one I would suggest that you do not leave your luggage unattended. I can't even count how many of my coworkers have had smash and grabs from SUVs (which is why I won't take one any longer)

I assume with a rental car, the only time you will have all the luggage in the vehicle is when first arriving from the airport or when departing from Disney. Once you get to Disney you will most likely unpack. I think theft is less of an issue compared to driving and staying overnight somewhere. Many SUV's also have tinted rear windows or security shades you can pull over the items in the back. Mine has both and works great for day to day use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter