International a Gateway to close 11/27 to 12/17?

Exactly!! I can't change my reservation so we are staying at BWV regardless but I will be upset as that is the reason we chose to stay there.

If and I know it is still an IF. If we lose walking access into EPCOT and or HS, it makes BW, YC, BC & Swolphin as remote and inconvienent as AKL.

Yep, we were called yesterday that our 12/9 Illuminations cruise is cancelled. I am so bummed. I worked really hard to put this together as a surprise for my husband's 40th birthday. Their "replacement" idea was pretty lame and I don't have any time to come up with something else. Everything else is already booked up!
I understand completely, this was our last night in Disney and our favorite thing to do. My mom called guest relations to see if we could substitute it with something else ( we are booked through them due to a big issue we had 2 years ago). She suggested MVMCP tickets. I think that is what we will go for since we already had 2 dessert parties booked for our trip.

Editing to add we are cancelling the HEA plaza garden before dessert party for Dec. 5th (was able to book a better day for us), maybe we can Coordinate if that is something that would fit in your plans?

So if they do close IG and I'm at BCV I need to leave the front of Epcot and take a bus?! Am I understanding that right?

I understand completely, this was our last night in Disney and our favorite thing to do. My mom called guest relations to see if we could substitute it with something else ( we are booked through them due to a big issue we had 2 years ago). She suggested MVMCP tickets. I think that is what we will go for since we already had 2 dessert parties booked for our trip.

Editing to add we are cancelling the HEA plaza garden before dessert party for Dec. 5th (was able to book a better day for us), maybe we can Coordinate if that is something that would fit in your plans?

Oh, that's so nice of you! We will be at DHS on 12/5 though. But thank you!

Wouldn't Swan/Dolphin's announcement have said something about the walking paths / IG?

Just trying to be hopeful here...

If you are cancelling that, can you let me know? I have a friend who may be interested in picking it up for his dad but there's no more availability!

Yep, we were called yesterday that our 12/9 Illuminations cruise is cancelled. I am so bummed. I worked really hard to put this together as a surprise for my husband's 40th birthday. Their "replacement" idea was pretty lame and I don't have any time to come up with something else. Everything else is already booked up!

that sucks - and a byproduct of them having this change so late ... really think they should try to do right by you and help you make other plans even if things are "booked up"

My husband sent an email last night to George Kalogridis , an executive at Disney. We received a phone call this morning with the following answer:
1. There will be no pedestrian impact on the IG during the construction of the skyliner.
2. Yes there will be an impact on the Friendship Boats to Epcot.
3. There will be no impact on the Friendship boats to HS.
4. There will be no impact on the walkway to HS.
5. They apologized that no formal notice has gone out and they are working on a formal notice to be sent out.

My husband sent an email last night to George Kalogridis , an executive at Disney. We received a phone call this morning with the following answer:
1. There will be no pedestrian impact on the IG during the construction of the skyliner.
5. They apologized that no formal notice has gone out and they are working on a formal notice to be sent out.
No surprises here really. I am interested as to why it is taking them long to notice about the impact on the Epcot boat route. The Swan and Dolphin put out a notice a while ago now.

Thank you very much for investigating and reporting your findings.

It is very sad that Marriott beat Disney to it's own news and Disney is still silent.
I'm not in the slightest surprised. A company like Marriott is customer focused. They know their customers have choices and are real big on making sure that the higher spenders, like those at the Swolphin, are as happy as possible.

Disney is known as a customer focused company, but when it comes to the parks it's very hit or miss. Sure, the actual onsite experience is generally good quality and known for those pixie dust moments, but Disney also knows it's fanbase is rabid and has few options even if they wanted to exercise them.

Therefore they don't care about how inconvenient it is to ask guests to plan 6 to 18 months in advance when the company can change schedules without notice. Or shut down features with limited notice. It simply doesn't matter. Unlike Marriott, Disney knows people will keep coming, pretty much regardless of what they do.

Ok, thanks so much!!! This honestly is one of the better things, if we can still go thru IG and take a boat down to HS. If you are going between Epcot and HS, just get off at Yacht/Beach Club.

What I am wondering is if the bridge from IG to Boardwalk will be open? It would be a pain (though not insurmountable) to have to go all the way around to get to the IG, but would impact where I request a room at BWV!

No surprises here really. I am interested as to why it is taking them long to notice about the impact on the Epcot boat route. The Swan and Dolphin put out a notice a while ago now.

Swan and Dolphin have always been quicker to notify guests about work in the area. I'd guess because it's hotel management notifying the guests instead of Disney, who has a lot more going on. Smaller scale tends to react quicker.

Ok, thanks so much!!! This honestly is one of the better things, if we can still go thru IG and take a boat down to HS. If you are going between Epcot and HS, just get off at Yacht/Beach Club.

What I am wondering is if the bridge from IG to Boardwalk will be open? It would be a pain (though not insurmountable) to have to go all the way around to get to the IG, but would impact where I request a room at BWV!

This is for Gondola cable installation, there's not much reason that bridge would close for that. Unless they decide to refurb the bridge at the same time.

This is for Gondola cable installation, there's not much reason that bridge would close for that. Unless they decide to refurb the bridge at the same time.
Yeah for some reason I thought the bridge was much closer to IG than I thought and it could be impacted by the cables, but I checked the map again and yeah, looks like it should be far enough away!

Thank you so much for this info! I just wanted to add my experience today because it is the first time I’ve had any CM confirm the boat closure on the phone. I have a fireworks cruise booked for MK and called tonight to add a guest to the group. I asked the CM if any Illuminations cruises were available our week (Dec 1-9) and she said no they were all cancelled. Also told me the recreation department got notice late yesterday of the Friendship Boat closure to Epcot and confirmed the dates. She also confirmed boat service would still be available to HS.

This is what I received when I contacted Disney on October 7th:

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort!

We are glad to know you will visit us soon! At the moment we do not have any notifications about the Friendship boat at the Epcot® International Gateway to be close.

Things change but that was what I received then and I have not heard anything official from Disney about a change....yet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!