• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Internet access at OKW

WEDway2002

Fan of the ride ... but mostly ... fan of Walt!
Hi all ...

I have only recently purchased a lap-top (amazing, huh?) and had a couple of questions. What sort of internet access is available at OKW? I'm guessing dial up in the rooms and maybe some sort of Wi Fi in the common areas?
I have cable access at home ... does this mean I need to subsribe to a "dial up" provider or is there some sort of flat fee or hourly fee at the resort?

Thanks for any help!

Dave

Great question! We also have a wireless ready Laptop. Is there any Wi Fi access on any of the DVC resorts?

There is high speed internet hook up in the rooms. The charge is $9.95 per 24 hours.
At SSR there is wifi in the lobby but I'm not sure about OKW. Certainly there are many who will know that answer for you.

To not be tied down to the hook up we bring a small wireless router so that you can use your laptop on the balacony and not be stuck in the room.

Congrats on your new purchase! Enjoy surfing the net while enjoying WDW during your stay at OKW.

~DW:3dglasses

Thanks, Eiljahpep ... I love this thing! :banana:
I'm gonna guess that OKW is similar to SSR ... it'll be nice to access these boards AND all sorts of menus, etc.. We used to always rely on the Birnbaum guide!

Dave

As noted, OKW does have the same broadband access as all of the other WDW resorts. Cost is $9.95 per 24 hours. There is no WiFi access in the villas at any of the DVC resorts.

Dialup is also an option - just make sure you have a local access number to call - otherwise you will have some pretty obnoxious long distance charges. Most of the Orlando numbers are local, as well as Lake Buena Vista - many of the Kissimmee #s are long distance. There is a chart in the front of the room phone book showing which prefixes are local calls.

Have fun with the laptop! :)

A little more info.. the price is for 24 hours from when you start using it, so time your 24 hours to get time on adjacent days and you can pay every other day. You should bring a long Ethernet cord if you want to sit at the table or in the bedroom of a one bedroom. There is a 6 foot cord in a sleeve in the closet to use if you don't bring one. If it doesn't work right away crawl behind the furniture and find the DSL router. Check that all cords are plugged in.

Hey elijapep - I hope I am your neighbor next time, nice of you to offer your wireless to your neighbors! (so that you can use your laptop on the balcony, I believe you said)

As noted, OKW does have the same broadband access as all of the other WDW resorts. Cost is $9.95 per 24 hours. There is no WiFi access in the villas at any of the DVC resorts.

Dialup is also an option - just make sure you have a local access number to call - otherwise you will have some pretty obnoxious long distance charges. Most of the Orlando numbers are local, as well as Lake Buena Vista - many of the Kissimmee #s are long distance. There is a chart in the front of the room phone book showing which prefixes are local calls.

Have fun with the laptop! :)

According to the 2007 Passporter the following Villas have Wireless internet, BWV, BCV, it is also available at the Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Swan, Yacht Club, Dolphin, Grand Floridian. I have used the acces at the BWV already, the cost is $9.95 per 24 hours. DATA SERVICES (INTERNET)- All Disney resorts now have high-speed Internet access, if you need technical support, call 407-938-4357.

Unfortunately, I need laptop access every day - don't get me started!

I have a razor phone from Verizon. You can purchase a mobile office kit $30that provides software and a cable that allows you to plug a usb connector from your razor phone(or other internet ready phone) into your laptop for internet service. Your cell phone acts as a transponder or teathering device. A monthly subscription to mobile web is $59.95 per month in Michigan. The beauty of this deal is that you do not have to commit to a one or two year contract, but rather you can choose each month to add or remove this feature!!! If you are travelling put it on that month - the next two months you might want it off!

The speed is really fast - full graphics upload on the spot! Anywhere that your phone has service so will you have internet access!! I Love it!!!! It is amazing and saves me a lot of money when travelling. It beats $10 bucks a day at Disney hotels and resorts. It is such a pain to find connectivity in the Disney area!!!!! Surfing the net or working by the pool is way cooler than being stuck in your room or at some Wi-Fi hang out.

This month the service is free up through 03/31/2007. You have to buy the $30 mobile office kit.

Yes. You can talk on your phone while it is hooked to your lap top. Your laptop battery will run out before your cell phone. Just plug both in and there is no stopping you!

Wow - I should get Verizon perks for plugging them! Ha ha ha :surfweb:

Thanks to all for some great info./advice ... I really appreciate it!
I'm a mac guy ... here's hoping Steve Jobs gets going with some perks!

Dave

I used the High Speed internet at OKW last week. I did have one evening where the service was out for over 2 hours. Fortunately I had timed it such that I could still use it the next morning to do what I was wanting to do. I did try calling their "help line" but was on hold for 20 minutes (nearly fell asleep on the bed while waiting).

I only had the cord they provided so I was tied to the dining table in the 1-BR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter