Internet message board question.

lol...I posted a thread that I keep hoping will go away or at least move to 2nd page, but other posters keep resuscitating it.

lol...I posted a thread that I keep hoping will go away or at least move to 2nd page, but other posters keep resuscitating it.
Unwatch your thread would work. You won't get alerts unless someone quotes or like a post of yours. You move on and the thread can do whatever it wants to without you.

That more of a fb question, IMO. I don’t see a lot of that on here or any other message boards
I actually see that quite often here especially on the Community board, sometimes the transportation though not too often, usually transportation questions about airlines pop up.

Lots of random questions about vacation destinations and what to do at X place, very specific questions about specific items too, etc.

Some cross over to strictly opinions but many of the types of questions people have tried to help with details (maybe specific resorts or destinations to go to, or I'm arriving at X time what will be open at that time, maybe it's a specific washing machine or fridge to purchase and so on). Sometimes the OP never really comes back and other times they are very active on the thread showing appreciation for the information.

And allll the lawyers are out on that one. The experts come out at page 8 lol. It’s ridiculous and why people don’t post on here.

...I think we’d all like to have it be similar to conversations IRL where we’re actually interacting in real-time, but it’s not that.

Nooooooo!! That's exactly the reason I like "talking" on a message board, that I don't have to think on my feet and respond in real time. - I can take a minute and compose my answer (and not get squeezed out because the conversation moves on before I can get a word in.)

As far as the original question here, no it's isn't "required" that you come back to a thread. - But I do agree that it's polite. If I ask a practical question (like for a restaurant recommendation) I would at least come back and thank folks for taking the time to share the information.

It’s ridiculous and why people don’t post on here.
But people DO post. Otherwise there wouldn't be traffic. Do some people not post because of what might happen? Sure. Is it a significant number? Don't know. But worrying because people aren't posting because they don't like the responses they might receive seems strange to me. People also don't post because they don't know about the DIS to start with. Those who do know about the DIS might not even know about the Community Board. Those who know about the CB might not be interested in talking about anything other than trip planning. Those who aren't interested only in trip planning and know about the CB might not want to post because they aren't allowed to talk about specific subjects (as per DIS guidelines).

Genuinely curious. If you start a thread, are you required to post a follow up?? Doesn’t matter where. If so, why? And if you don’t think so, why also?

You should have started this thread and then vanished. Lol

But people DO post. Otherwise there wouldn't be traffic. Do some people not post because of what might happen? Sure. Is it a significant number? Don't know. But worrying because people aren't posting because they don't like the responses they might receive seems strange to me. People also don't post because they don't know about the DIS to start with. Those who do know about the DIS might not even know about the Community Board. Those who know about the CB might not be interested in talking about anything other than trip planning. Those who aren't interested only in trip planning and know about the CB might not want to post because they aren't allowed to talk about specific subjects (as per DIS guidelines).
And twisting people words is another reason. Who’s worried? Why would this board worry me even for a second. My words were it’s ridiculous and the reason people don’t post.

And twisting people words is another reason. Who’s worried? Why would this board worry me even for a second. My words were it’s ridiculous and the reason people don’t post.
OK, so take out the word "worrying". Change it to "commenting". Does that sound better? And you just did what you find ridiculous in others. You look at a single word of a post and criticize that, but ignore the rest.

Nooooooo!! That's exactly the reason I like "talking" on a message board, that I don't have to think on my feet and respond in real time. - I can take a minute and compose my answer (and not get squeezed out because the conversation moves on before I can get a word in.)
I agree with both of you. Pros and cons to both.

I think when it comes to the here on the Boards we can ignore a person, we can ignore a comment (as in don't respond or scroll past it), we can unwatch a thread, and ultimately the topics we engage in are of our own choosing. IRL that's a lot harder when you're face to face with someone.

Sometimes on the Boards I can sum up my response to someone in an o_O emoji (I like the original pre-May Board upgrade err...what? emoji BTW) or the like. IRL that might be harder lol. But IRL it might be easier to convey's ones thoughts. Sometimes written text can lead to a lost in translation situation.

On the other hand shifting a topic forcifully (as in you don't want the conversation to go down a certain path) might be easier IRL but on the Boards that might be harder especially as discussion isn't confined to a moment in time (speaking towards your comment about composing your answer and taking the time to do so).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts