Internet rumor -- Disney may purchase Marvel Comics

Obi-Wan Pinobi

<font color=red>Jedi moderator who likes to live o
Right now there's a rumor floating around the internet that Disney might purchase Marvel Comics (publishers of the X-Men and Spider-Man, among others).

Marvel has been in financial trouble for several years and their financial outlook isn't too bright right now. Also, Comicon.con quoted a Variety article that stated Disney is preparing to make some acquisitions. This is what they quoted from Variety --

Walt Disney Co.'s chief financial officer promised Wednesday that the entertainment giant will not be left behind as the media business continues to consolidate. In an unusual declaration for Disney, Tom Staggs said the company is husbanding cash for deals, preferably content assets like cable channels or film libraries. Staggs even indicated a hypothetical ballpark of $3 billion-$5 billion for a purchase.

The article said that no targets were named, but Pixar and the Fox Family Channel were possibilities.

However, one medium (albeit not a major one) where Disney does not have a major interest is the comic book industry. Marvel's main competition is DC Comics (publishers of Superman, Batman, etc.), owned by Time Warner, Disney's major media conglomerate competitor.

Would Disney purchase Marvel? On one hand, Marvel has been the industry leader for years with a number of extremely popular characters. There are plans for an X-Men sequel and a Spider-Man movie is in production for release next summer. And if Disney ever decided to get their characters back into comics, the Marvel imprint would be a good one to use.

On the other hand, are Mickey Mouse and Wolverine a good match?? Is this something that fits with Disney's plans? Would Disney airlift Marvel Super Hero Island from Universal IOA and transplant it to WDW?

Okay, maybe I'm being silly now. But seriously, is this something Disney would consider? Just curious to hear what everyone else thinks.

If disney bought them, the Marvel superhero island in IOA would have to close. No way that's going to happen.

I thought Disney had a comic book division. Phantom Blot comes to mind...I don't think it will happen. Then again I never thought Disney would have Online gambling Websites either... :(

I dont think that the marvel section at IOA would have to close. I am sure that they ahve some sort of liscensing agreement with marvel in case that marvel got bought out.

That would be funny. Disney making money from the competition. What would happen when the contract came up however? Or might there be a lifetime contract (or lifetime of the ride)? I still think it woul dbe quite funny if Disney were to make some money off of the Marvel based rides at Universal.

Panthius

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter