Interview with Bob Iger. More Fuel for the Rumor Mill....

Dis13

Mouseketeer
This was posted on the Orlando Sentinal Site (dated April 11). Since I can't post the link, here is part re: park expansion and DVC.

Q: As you discuss globalization you seem to suggest that the domestic theme park market may have limited growth potential right now. Is it saturating?

A: Well, I don't really mean to suggest that. At the moment, we don't have plans on the drawing boards to build what I would call new parks in the United States. We certainly have plans, and the desire, and the ability to expand what we currently have. Today [with the grand opening of Expedition Everest] is a good example of that. The building going on for our vacation club is another great example of that. There is a list of concepts either in the dreaming phase or on the drawing board that will fuel both this facility and the one in California for many years to come. So growth is far from over. ..... The other thing we're doing is we're expanding other concepts beyond the theme park concept. The cruise ship is a good example of that. Adventures by Disney is another good example of that. There will probably be more of that.

Q: Is that, at least in the next couple of decades, an area of tremendous growth compared with theme park growth potential?

A: Since you used the time frame "a couple of decades," you'll see Disney building more parks internationally, and you'll see Disney expanding the vacation experience domestically a fair amount, and you will see expansion in California and in Florida, but again I doubt you'll see, at least in the next decade, a new gate.

Q: Would Adventures by Disney, Disney Vacation Club, Disney Cruise Line, is this the area domestically that we're going to see a lot of growth?

A: Yes. Yes. Now, there are new concepts that we haven't mentioned yet, and I won't. There are others that are being discussed. When you think about it, we obviously occupy a great space in terms of the family vacation market. But in reality, from a percentage basis, it's relatively small. The family vacation business is huge, and we capture only a small part of it. I think we all believe there's an opportunity to use our creativity and the service that we provide to extend the Disney vacation experience and to grow into the market.

Hmmmmmm. My thoughts:

:thumbsup2: It certainly is impressive that DVC is even on his radar! It is such a huge company!

:cool1: I also am very impressed that he is so versed on the parks! Eisner was a movie guy. Let's face it - the MK needs a major face lift! I get the impression that they want to spend time and energy on the parks so that they continue to attract folks.

:smokin: I was extremely encouraged when I saw a recent article saying that they had created a WDW master plan. It meant to me that guys at the top were getting their hands around it and wanted to understand the long-term direction of the park.

:bounce: I am not discouraged that a 5th "gate" will not open in WDW. I think that a new park in India, Mainland China and perhaps South America would be 1) Cheaper to Build and 2) Will probably drive more revenue. They only have so many Imagineers - and - I don't think they can handle more then 1 major project at a time.

Overall - I am extremely encouraged with Mr. Iger's tenure! I really believe he has put some of his energy to the parks and more good things are coming!

My hope is by growth in DVC he means adding more DVC resorts away from WDW... During christmas time it's already impossible to walk in the parks. I can't imagine adding more DVC resorts will help the situation.
Adding DVC in CA, Paris, HK, or Japan would be awesome... that'll give us more options and places to use our points... I can keep dreaming right? :)

cseca said:
My hope is by growth in DVC he means adding more DVC resorts away from WDW... During christmas time it's already impossible to walk in the parks. I can't imagine adding more DVC resorts will help the situation.
Adding DVC in CA, Paris, HK, or Japan would be awesome... that'll give us more options and places to use our points... I can keep dreaming right? :)
I agree 100%, just the thought of going to DLRP and staying in a DVC resort puts a hugh smile :teeth: on my face. And Iger mentions other Disney parks are being planned around the world. Better keep my passport current. :woohoo:

bom_noite said:
:thumbsup2: It certainly is impressive that DVC is even on his radar! It is such a huge company!

A month or so ago there was a DVC meeting in Orlando (for the guides, etc.), and Iger was there as one of the presenters. So he definitely recognizes DVC's potential.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!