Introducing myself and my trip plans at the same time!

iMadHatter

Mouseketeer
Hello all!

I'm new here, and not particularly forum-savvy, so please excuse the newbie post!

I've been lurking here since this May, when I broke my hip and had nothing to do through 2 surgeries and nearly 3 months of recovery time. I cheered myself up with planning a Disney vacation! Now it's really happening and I'm SOOO excited, I have to share with ppl who get it!

My Disney History:
I was a CM at the Disney Studios Lot in Burbank and was a DLR AP holder from 1996-2003, but moved away early in 2003, got married, and hadn't been back to DLR until last year. In June 2017, my brother planned and footed the bill for a 1-day trip for the whole huge family to catch the ELP at DL one last time. It was his plan, his money- I was so grateful, but it just re-wet my Disney appetite!

DH is NOT a Disney fan. His family took a DL trip in the 80s and his entire family got sick and all were throwing up the whole time. They took another family trip to WDW in the late 90s- 3 days with the extended family- grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins. I've traveled with his family. I love them dearly, wonderful people, but traveling with them is just AWFUL! It's truly TORTURE. I've sworn I'm never traveling with them all again. He had a terrible time, hated the rain, hated lines, hated crowds. He does NOT understand my Disney love AT ALL! And it's my own fault- I let myself stay away from the parks for WAY too long!! He had no idea what kind of Disney fan he married!
After last year's whirlwind day, I swore to myself we'd come back and I'd have the trip I really want. So here goes!

Basic Trip Plans:

Who:
  • My family- me, DH, two daughters ages 8 and 5

• My parents- it's their 50th anniversary this year, and the honeymooned at DL and stayed in the DLH. Haven't been back since, so we have to take them.

• My brother, his wife, and 3 year old son- since brother took us last year, I kinda owe it to him to let him tag along this time- haha! There's no way I could cover his whole bill for a longer trip, but I gotta let him in on it.
When:
Oct 20-25, 2019.
Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, so I'm super psyched for all the festive décor and nummy treats!

Where:
I'm over-the-moon excited to stay at the DLH for this trip! This will be my first time!!! Last year we stayed at the Embassy Suites, and it was ok for the one night, but I'm SOOO much more excited to stay in a little Disney bubble this trip. Can't afford more than standard view, but who cares! It will be buried in construction for the new hotel, I'm sure, but who cares! I'm too excited for Mickey wake-up calls, EMH, castle headboards, E-ticket pool, and Dole Whips on-site!!

What:
5-day park hopper passes. I'm hoping 5 days will be enough time to see what we want, no matter what the crowd situation might be, plus enjoy a little pool time. Totally splurging for a cabana! Possibly gonna splurge for MHP tickets, if one falls on a day we're there. Not sure, tho, 'cuz my girls don't do well with spooky/scary stuff, and melt-downs a plenty when they're up way past bedtime. They aren't great nappers, either. But leaving the park at 6:00 doesn't seem right. Still deciding on that one.

Day 1: Hoping to come in early Sunday (driving through Vegas- WAY cheaper than flying for us. Planning to stay off-site Saturday night), check-in, enjoy time in the park and especially Fantasmic and the fireworks Sunday night .

Day 2: DCA with EMH. Looking forward to seeing Cars Land for the first time!

Day 3: EMH at DL. I am a little nervous about negotiating the stampede to PP first thing. I do not mind waiting in line for PP later if it saves my parents and hubby from Pamplona-DL Style. (This was not something I was even aware of back in the late 90s! When did the daily race for PP start?) Any suggestions for what to try during EMH instead?

Day 4: We totally plan to have at least one character meal, probably at Goofy's Kitchen. We have to catch the Frozen play at DCA and Mickey's Map at DL at some point during our stay, and will probably spend some time at Pixie Hollow, Fantasy Faire, and Minnie's house before we're done.

Day 5: Merrily on our way to nowhere in particular!

Check out Friday, join the weekend traffic to Vegas and head back home- hopefully with time Sunday to rest/ unpack/ do laundry before I go back to work on Monday!

Concerns:
We've had a rough summer. My hip totally gave out on me- I was just walking and teaching when it broke (old car accident came back to haunt me). Had an ER gallbladder removal the same week I had my hip replaced- NOT fun! My dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer the same month (but is doing better now). My DH has multiple chronic health problems. All in all, I'm a little worried about getting around. We could all probably use a wheelchair! Haha- hopefully in 1 year, we'll all be in better shape!

But I am actually thinking about trying to get a DAS card for DH. If he manages to be given one, it will go a considerable way to relieve his anxiety about the line problem. He has intestinal issues that make leaving the house rather difficult for him. And obviously the anxiety that comes with not knowing when it's going to happen, but knowing it is going to happen multiple times a day, makes life really miserable. Anyway, TMI, I know, but it gives you an idea about what we're dealing with.

DH really was pushing to go when crowds aren't crazy high, but who knows what they'll be with Star Wars, even in Oct. I have been reading what I can about October crowds, but have read lots of conflicting blogs and posts. So that's a bit weird. Didn't worry about it too much when I was a single AP holder. I could enjoy a day in the park without worrying about riding a thing. Honestly, I could have the time of my life just enjoying everything else- the food, the ambiance, the music, the smells! Holy smokes! DL smells delicious! Anyway, not sure what to expect crowd-wise next Oct.

I'm also a little worried about my first DLH stay being marred by crazy construction. Bummed I didn't get to do it before they start tearing DTD apart. Oh well. I just hope the monorail is running, so we can ride it back to the hotel when we need to.

Otherwise, my girls are too fun, and I know they're gonna love it no matter what. I'm working extra jobs to save up, and I'm still so excited that I can't even begin to wipe the smile off my face. Which is good, because school is starting again and I'm NOT ready!!

Anyway, thanks for letting me post my plans here, and for having such a great forum and community!!!

You have a great start to planning your Oct 2019 trip. I think the anticipation is part of the fun of a planning a Disney vacation. DH and I experienced Halloween at Disneyland Oct 2017. You and your family will have a blast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter