iPad, Proloquo2Go, and Disney

PatMcDuck

DIS Veteran
Hi all, anyone out there using an iPad for their kids (well, my son is 21, so adults too) to communicate? I originally got the Proloquo2Go (?) program for an iTouch, but never got the hang of it. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I picked up an iPad (1st generation refurb) and installed the program on the iPad. A speech teacher at my son's school has 3 boys using it now in Sean's class. My son LOVES it, and so do I. Finally, some communication! He was using a flip book for the last few years at school, but Sean is an electronics whiz, so this is right up his alley.

Any tips from other users? Also, I think someone posted how they used this for Disney. Made a folder for each park, naming each ride? I think this would work well for Sean, he has very little speech, but does yell Tower of Terror, for example, when we enter the Studios. He knows what rides are in each park, and we push him in a chair so he could hold the iPad some of the time.

It did come with a preloaded Disney icon!

That was me (raising hand).

These were the first pages I made on the iPod (so there are only 16 buttons per screen). The pictures below were actually the first ones I made, before it was possible to always keep buttons in the order you wanted. Once that feature was added, I put each page with buttons in a very consistent order. So here they are - I did a screen capture of each screen, you will see some overlap of the
Disney’s Hollywood Studio part one:

IMG_0083.PNG

scrolled down the page to the next part:
IMG_0084.PNG

last part:
IMG_0089.PNG

I had a category of Disney parks under the “My Places” category. I also had a “Fast Food” category and a “WDW Shopping category.

When I edited the order of the buttons, I placed the attractions in a folder for each area of the park. I did that because DD has problems with the small buttons and scrolling, so we were trying to minimize scrolling. With the iPad, you may be able to get all the buttons you need on one screen, depending on how the many things your son can handle.

AK

IMG_0086.PNG

IMG_0087.PNG

IMG_0088.PNG

I’m not in a place where I can use wifi on my iPod right now. I will see if I can do a screen capture of DD’s current categories for WDW in about 10 days to repost.

Wow thanks for the ideas! His next trip is October, but I may work on it over the summer.

How do you put icons in a set order? I mean how to lock a few into the top of the page, like the "I Like" " type.

We are SO in the early stages of adapting it. I do not know how to load in more photos without wiping out the iPad. I feel so dumb. I loaded a dozen photos from my MacBook, and it erased everything. It was ok, I just reloaded all the programs, but I do not want to make that mistake again. I may go in to the Apple store for help. The teacher wants to load photos of his classmates and we are worried it will wipe everything out.

The programs is amazing.

Wow thanks for the ideas! His next trip is October, but I may work on it over the summer.

How do you put icons in a set order? I mean how to lock a few into the top of the page, like the "I Like" " type.
You can download the full manual here:
http://www.proloquo2go.com/Manual/article/downloadable-manual

For the quick version of how to change the order of buttons:
1) You have to be in the Edit mode - if you see a button on the right side bottom of the screen, Edit is enabled. Touch that button to edit the page. The button will turn into a blue check mark.

2) Touch the button you want to move until it starts to pulsate. At that point, keep touching that button and you can slide it where you want it to be.

3) You will see a little icon of a lock in the top right hand corner of any button you have moved. You can still move it - the lock just shows that you have moved it.

4) Once you are done moving buttons, touch the blue check mark on the right side bottom of the screen. That will take you out of edit mode.

5) If you don’t want your son to be able to edit, you need to go into the Proloquo2Go settings which are under the setting button on the iPad. I’m not positive what the icon on the iPad looks like, but on the iPod it is a grey button with gears on it. Touching that gives access to the general iPod/iPad settings and also settings in the different apps.
To set Proloquo2Go so it won’t allow editing, look in the ‘Restrictions’.

We are SO in the early stages of adapting it. I do not know how to load in more photos without wiping out the iPad. I feel so dumb. I loaded a dozen photos from my MacBook, and it erased everything. It was ok, I just reloaded all the programs, but I do not want to make that mistake again. I may go in to the Apple store for help. The teacher wants to load photos of his classmates and we are worried it will wipe everything out.

The programs is amazing.
No more time right now, but the easiest way to get photos in is to email them to yourself. When you open the email on the device, you can save it in the photo album.
You can also download photos from the internet, which was how I got all the photos for the WDW categories.

My DS10 is non verbal and has been using a Go Talk communication board for the last couple of years. At school he uses a computer with a touch screen monitor and does very well with it (unfortuantly we don't have one at home). I recently recieved some information on using the ipad and the app as a communication device and I think this is something that he would do really well with.

Unfortunately on our budget, we really can't afford to get one at this time, maybe somewhere down the road......

However, your posta have given me some ideas on how to make some inserts for his board that pertain to our next Disney visit - thanks for the ideas!!!!!:thumbsup2

I used my son's SSI $$ to buy this refurbished iPad. I already had the program, I bought it awhile back.

Sue, I may be able to email the pictures to myself, and figure that out. Does that mean I should never hook up the iPad to my Macbook again, or that syncing problem will happen again? I might want to hook them up again to get system or program updates? I need to go back to Apple. I am one of the dumb 50 somethings who need help. :laughing:

My DS10 is non verbal and has been using a Go Talk communication board for the last couple of years. At school he uses a computer with a touch screen monitor and does very well with it (unfortuantly we don't have one at home). I recently recieved some information on using the ipad and the app as a communication device and I think this is something that he would do really well with.

Unfortunately on our budget, we really can't afford to get one at this time, maybe somewhere down the road......

However, your posta have given me some ideas on how to make some inserts for his board that pertain to our next Disney visit - thanks for the ideas!!!!!:thumbsup2
Here are some other ideas for you:
I also programmed some pages for her main communication device, her Prentke Romich Vantage device. Here are pictures of those pages:

2590vantage_Studio_page.jpg

2590Vantage_MK_page.jpg

2590vantage_epcot_page.jpg

2590Vantage_AK_page.jpg

The pictures were found on google searches on the internet and the buttons are in the order they are with the open spaces because the Vantage device has very specific locations for specific types of words and I wanted to maintain those locations.

See my previous post about pages I programmed for my DD’s Vantage device.
I wanted to share the pages on a page sharing website, but they did not want to share them with Disney pictures, so I made another version (with some extra words to enhance ability to communicate). For these, I used only the built in pictures that were on the device.

2590Studio2.jpg

2590MK2.jpg

2590Epcot_2_page.jpg

2590Animal_kingdom_page2.JPG

Also, the individual items are grouped according to where they are located (i. e. on the Epcot page, the countries are all grouped together and are in order that you walk thru them; the attractions inside The Land are all grouped together, etc.)

I used my son's SSI $$ to buy this refurbished iPad. I already had the program, I bought it awhile back.

Sue, I may be able to email the pictures to myself, and figure that out. Does that mean I should never hook up the iPad to my Macbook again, or that syncing problem will happen again? I might want to hook them up again to get system or program updates? I need to go back to Apple. I am one of the dumb 50 somethings who need help. :laughing:
I think you should go to Apple and get some lessons to make sure you know how to do it without erasing everything.

But, emailing yourself is a good stopgap method until you get to the point of knowing how to synch it without losing everything.

You can download the app updates from the iPad on wi-fi, but it takes a longer time and you have to make sure that the iPad/iPod doesn’t go to sleep (where the screen goes black).

You should look at the Proloquo2Go manual for how to save your child’s vocabulary backup. There is a way to back it up to your computer with both the computer and iPad on the internet with wi-fi. (which is pretty easy).

Sue, thanks for all the help, I printed all the manuals and put them into a small binder. i will become an expert. Also will return to the Apple store ASAP, it is right across from TDS I work at.

Sue - Thanks soooo much for sharing!!!

I'm pretty excited about this idea and so I started work on a
Magic Kingdom page today. You've given me LOTS of ideas!!!

Pat - Unfortunatly my son doesn't get SSI anymore. A few years ago, my husband had gotten a raise at work, at since our income effects what our son recieved, his payment dropped down to $2 a month!!! I kid you not!!! We tried reapplying last year and it didn't work out.

Michelle

Hi There! I don't know if this thread will get back to you but I am a mom of a nonverbal 2 and 4 year old and this post makes me want to cry. We have now two iPads, one for play and one for speech with proloquo2go. If you have images will you please send to me? The ones from this post aren't loading -- probably cuz they are 12 years old! Just want to let you know we are out there and I was able to search this and be motivated to create a Disney folder for our kids. Our trip is in a month! I better get moving. lol!

Hi There! I don't know if this thread will get back to you but I am a mom of a nonverbal 2 and 4 year old and this post makes me want to cry. We have now two iPads, one for play and one for speech with proloquo2go. If you have images will you please send to me? The ones from this post aren't loading -- probably cuz they are 12 years old! Just want to let you know we are out there and I was able to search this and be motivated to create a Disney folder for our kids. Our trip is in a month! I better get moving. lol!
I've noticed a lot of pictures disappear after 12 years.
In this case, I was the original picture poster and improved my daughter's pages a lot over that time. This is the main Disney World page on my daughter's.
IMG_3510.png

The MAGIC KINGDOM folder button is on the top row, 10th column. The Main Page and each park page is at her default grid size and has many of the same buttons repeated for ease of use.
IMG_3511.png

MAIN STREET USA folder. The different 'land' folders have bigger buttons in order to see the pictures better.
IMG_3512.png

TOMORROWLAND
IMG_3514.png

LIBERTY SQUARE
IMG_3515.png

FANTASYLAND
IMG_3516.png

ADVENTURELAND
IMG_3517.png

FRONTIERLAND
IMG_3518.png

EPCOT main page. Many buttons are repeated for ease of use and Motor Planning (your mind/body gets used to where things are and can find them more automatically).
IMG_3519.png

I used the new names for EPCOT's 'neighborhoods' to make folders for each. There wasn't really anything yet for WORLD CELEBRATION, so I made a folder, but it is empty right now. This is the WORLD DISCOVERY folder.
IMG_3562.png

This is the WORLD NATURE folder, which has 3 subfolders. There are 2 buttons for Moana Journey of Water because I found 2 photos that worked and made buttons for both for my daughter to decide. She hasn't decided yet. I leave space between buttons because she has cerebral palsy and does better with space between

IMG_3563.png

THE SEAS subfolder. It also includes a link to Ocean Creatures folder from her user file.
IMG_3564.png

THE LAND subfolder
IMG_3565.png

IMAGINATION subfolder
IMG_3566.png

WORLD SHOWCASE
IMG_3567.png

Wow...these are amazing! So far, we just have a page on his AAC for all of the rides he likes at disneyland. I just used pictures from Google. But I love the layout of yours! How often do you go to the parks?

Wow...these are amazing! So far, we just have a page on his AAC for all of the rides he likes at disneyland. I just used pictures from Google. But I love the layout of yours! How often do you go to the parks?
Thanks.
I've been doing this for a while. Most of the pictures are either from the Disney website or just Google.
One hint I have is just screenshot the whole page the picture you want is on. It's easy to size it from there in the editing window.IMG_3509.png

It looks like this when you first open the photo to add it. (I already had the picture on the button and just took this to demonstrate).

IMG_3601.png

By moving the dots on the sides and spreading the picture, you can make it fit the button window how you want.

IMG_3602.png

My son has two dedicated AAC devices (Wego 7 and Wego 5) so I'm not able to use Google on it. So I've literally just taken pictures of my computer screen for some of his buttons. Not great quality but it gets the job done. There's probably a way to transfer photos onto it but I haven't figured that out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter