iPhone Teenager

In this case I would but out unless she asks your advice. If she saves for it and earns it, what purpose would it serve to tell her no? Frugal and no name brands is your choice, but not necessarily hers. If she puts in the work for it, she should buy what she wants.

OP, you may see that you know much more about finances and how the world works than your daughter does, but she needs to gain life experience and build her own frame of reference for making judgments about financial matters. She won't get far simply based on the notion of parroting your philosophies -- particularly when she finds herself dealing with matters where you have no experience or where your judgment is flawed. Better she learns how to evaluate circumstances for herself. Earning the money to achieve a goal like the phone of her choosing is a great way to begin.

OP, you may see that you know much more about finances and how the world works than your daughter does, but she needs to gain life experience and build her own frame of reference for making judgments about financial matters. She won't get far simply based on the notion of parroting your philosophies -- particularly when she finds herself dealing with matters where you have no experience or where your judgment is flawed. Better she learns how to evaluate circumstances for herself. Earning the money to achieve a goal like the phone of her choosing is a great way to begin.

Working and saving for the phone is a great life lesson. I did a paper route for two years to pay for my first guitar. And I played it every day.

What this kid needs to learn is to not spend more than she makes. I knew a lot of kids that finished university with private card debt that exceeded their student loans to keep up with others. It blew my mind.

If she wants an iPhone bad enough, like you said...she can get a job when she turns 16 and save up the money to pay for it herself. That all on its own teaches some valuable life lessons...stuff that you can TELL her but sometimes with stuff like this, you have to learn that lesson a different way. It's easy to spend money when it's other people's money. She'll learn the value of it when she has to work for it herself.

I’m a very frugal person too, but I have an iPhone. The ease of use and not having to deal with viruses that cause ads all the time make it worth every cent. Two years ago, I decided to buy an Android phone to save money. I hated it so much. Two months later, I bought another iPhone and I’ll never have anything else.

So, just because she wants an iPhone doesn’t mean she’s irresponsible with money.

I’m a very frugal person too, but I have an iPhone. The ease of use and not having to deal with viruses that cause ads all the time make it worth every cent. Two years ago, I decided to buy an Android phone to save money. I hated it so much. Two months later, I bought another iPhone and I’ll never have anything else.

So, just because she wants an iPhone doesn’t mean she’s irresponsible with money.

If I follow this logic, I should buy a Bugatti because it’s superior to my current car. But that wouldn’t make me irresponsible with money because it’s better, right?

If I follow this logic, I should buy a Bugatti because it’s superior to my current car. But that wouldn’t make me irresponsible with money because it’s better, right?
Well if your car keeps breaking down and you have to keep paying to repair it or have to go through a string of cars that end up costing you more in the long run then maybe it would be a sound decision.

For years my sister was buying her DH cheap, no name shoes at Walmart about every three months. It finally dawned on her that she was spending twice as much rather than just biting the bullet and buying a nice pair of shoes that lasted a year plus. Now I’m not saying Android is inferior because honestly I have no idea but for the person you quoted they found that an iPhone was the better investment *for them.* Maybe the OP’s daughter feels the same way.

I've had android phones for over a decade now and have never had a virus. The viruses don't cause ads. It's the websites you go to and the apps you run.

I've had android phones for over a decade now and have never had a virus. The viruses don't cause ads. It's the websites you go to and the apps you run.
I agree. They want iPhones because all their friends have iPhones.

I was about to say the same thing. DH and I have both had many different Android phones over the last 10 years. I've never gotten a virus or ads.

I wouldn't butt out. I'm cheap by nature too. I do let my kids have some discretion as to what they buy, but I am the "safety net" in making sure they aren't making completely foolish choices. Well, I suppose I'm OK with letting them make a foolish choice on small items, so they can learn. But bigger ticket items, no. DS15 wanted, and now has, a project car. He funded much of it with his own money, but I was the gatekeeper.

I wouldn't give my kids an iPhone if it were free. Total junk anyway. Steer her toward an Android...any Android. It's a far better phone.

I wouldn't butt out. I'm cheap by nature too. I do let my kids have some discretion as to what they buy, but I am the "safety net" in making sure they aren't making completely foolish choices. Well, I suppose I'm OK with letting them make a foolish choice on small items, so they can learn. But bigger ticket items, no. DS15 wanted, and now has, a project car. He funded much of it with his own money, but I was the gatekeeper.

I wouldn't give my kids an iPhone if it were free. Total junk anyway. Steer her toward an Android...any Android. It's a far better phone.
So you’ve used both and had a chance to compare?

Look, I’m no iPhone fan boy. I think they’re overhyped and overpriced. But they’re very good phones. You lose credibility when you call them junk.

So you’ve used both and had a chance to compare?

Look, I’m no iPhone fan boy. I think they’re overhyped and overpriced. But they’re very good phones. You lose credibility when you call them junk.

DW had an iPhone. In short, the Android I got free outperformed it hands down. Her phone wound up with some virus or something and she switched back to Android.

I just finished a project at work creating (OK...guiding because I'm not an IT guy, LOL) a mobile app for my company. Delayed release because of functionality issues with iPhone. I hear others who have them complaining about some software issue or other. What I've experienced, seen and heard with them would keep me from ever buying one or having my kids buy one. As you said, overpriced and overhyped. Not worth the money, IMO at any cost.

With me being a cheap caveman :D I still use a basic Android. As I mentioned, it was free. I got it 4 years ago and it has worked flawlessly up to now. Battery is dying, won't hold a charge. Starting to have issues running the few apps I have loaded, but that's only been very recent. Looking for a good Black Friday sale at Cricket. Plan to get just a basic one again.

How is this different? You’re coming at this with bias. You think a project car is worth the investment because you like cars and an iPhone is not because you don’t like them. The OP will not be giving the phone, the daughter will be paying for it herself. I fail to see what the issue is. There’s a life lesson or two in this. 1) Work hard, save up and be proud you did it yourself or 2) Work hard, save up and regret spending so much on a phone. Either way, they’re both good lessons to have and ones a 16 year old kid should absolutely be learning.

FWIW my older DD had this exact scenario at 16. And yeah, she wanted the latest and greatest because her friends had it. As long as she paid her other bills (a portion of insurance, her own gas etc.) I didn’t see any reason not to let her. She’s been buying her own phones (and whatever else she deems worthy) since with zero input from me. She also has a savings account that rivals mine because like her mom she never pays full pop for anything and seeks out the best deals. You can be frugal and still buy nice things on occasion.

DW had an iPhone. In short, the Android I got free outperformed it hands down. Her phone wound up with some virus or something and she switched back to Android.

I just finished a project at work creating (OK...guiding because I'm not an IT guy, LOL) a mobile app for my company. Delayed release because of functionality issues with iPhone. I hear others who have them complaining about some software issue or other. What I've experienced, seen and heard with them would keep me from ever buying one or having my kids buy one. As you said, overpriced and overhyped. Not worth the money, IMO at any cost.

With me being a cheap caveman :D I still use a basic Android. As I mentioned, it was free. I got it 4 years ago and it has worked flawlessly up to now. Battery is dying, won't hold a charge. Starting to have issues running the few apps I have loaded, but that's only been very recent. Looking for a good Black Friday sale at Cricket. Plan to get just a basic one again.
And I’ve had iPhones since the very first one. Between myself, my DH and now my kids there’s been quite a few through here. I have never, not once had one crap out on me. In any case, it really doesn’t matter what you or I think is worthy. If the kid spends her own money and the phone turns out to be a piece of junk she will learn it wasn’t worth it and choose more wisely in the future.

How is this different? You’re coming at this with bias. You think a project car is worth the investment because you like cars and an iPhone is not because you don’t like them. The OP will not be giving the phone, the daughter will be paying for it herself. I fail to see what the issue is. There’s a life lesson or two in this. 1) Work hard, save up and be proud you did it yourself or 2) Work hard, save up and regret spending so much on a phone. Either way, they’re both good lessons to have and ones a 16 year old kid should absolutely be learning.

FWIW my older DD had this exact scenario at 16. And yeah, she wanted the latest and greatest because her friends had it. As long as she paid her other bills (a portion of insurance, her own gas etc.) I didn’t see any reason not to let her. She’s been buying her own phones (and whatever else she deems worthy) since with zero input from me. She also has a savings account that rivals mine because like her mom she never pays full pop for anything and seeks out the best deals. You can be frugal and still buy nice things on occasion.

Sure, I'm coming at it with a bias. OP asked for opinions, and that's mine. I don't like Apple products, my experience says they're junk. My point with the car analogy was that I was being the gatekeeper of what he purchased. Sorry if that didn't come across well, trying to type as fast as I can. Trust me, there were plenty of money wasting hunks of rust that he wanted to drag home, and I said no. I used my experience to make sure that the project he found was as financially sound as it possibly could be. I wasn't going to let him burn good money on bad things. Like I said, if we're talking $20, fine...live and learn. But for a kid who doesn't really make much money, I don't want him wasting it on big ticket things. That's my point with the phone. If my kids wanted a high end phone (thankfully they're happy with $100 Androids), I would probably let them get one, but it wouldn't be an Apple.

Sure, I'm coming at it with a bias. OP asked for opinions, and that's mine. I don't like Apple products, my experience says they're junk. My point with the car analogy was that I was being the gatekeeper of what he purchased. Sorry if that didn't come across well, trying to type as fast as I can. Trust me, there were plenty of money wasting hunks of rust that he wanted to drag home, and I said no. I used my experience to make sure that the project he found was as financially sound as it possibly could be. I wasn't going to let him burn good money on bad things. Like I said, if we're talking $20, fine...live and learn. But for a kid who doesn't really make much money, I don't want him wasting it on big ticket things. That's my point with the phone. If my kids wanted a high end phone (thankfully they're happy with $100 Androids), I would probably let them get one, but it wouldn't be an Apple.
I don’t know, I think it’s okay to let a kid fail big. In doing so they’ll hopefully think twice about it the next time. Maybe I’m coming at it with bias. I’ve watched a family member be financially rescued over and over. This person has never learned to manage money and at 49 they have no one left to rescue them yet they STILL make terrible decisions and put themselves in dire straits. I just think better an iPhone now vs a something a lot bigger later, kwim? That’s not to say I don’t advise my kids against what I find to be ridiculous purchases (as you did) but if they’re not going to take my advice I’ll let them fall and I won’t rescue them when it comes back to bite them. Hopefully that leads to better decisions in the future.

I don’t know, I think it’s okay to let a kid fail big. In doing so they’ll hopefully think twice about it the next time. Maybe I’m coming at it with bias. I’ve watched a family member be financially rescued over and over. This person has never learned to manage money and at 49 they have no one left to rescue them yet they STILL make terrible decisions and put themselves in dire straits. I just think better an iPhone now vs a something a lot bigger later, kwim? That’s not to say I don’t advise my kids against what I find to be ridiculous purchases (as you did) but if they’re not going to take my advice I’ll let them fall and I won’t rescue them when it comes back to bite them. Hopefully that leads to better decisions in the future.

This discussion hasn’t even gotten into credit card debt. Folks are just talking about her saving up for the phone and paying for it with money saved. Most people pay the monthly and never save up the actual price of the phone we’re discussing.

The whole idea of saving up for stuff and then buying is something I learned in grade school with a paper route. To get me ready for university, I had to learn to not spend money that I didn’t have, so that I could pay my credit card off each month. I got my first one in my freshman year of university.

Last edited:
This discussion hasn’t even gotten into credit card debt. Folks are just talking about her saving up for the phone and paying for it with money saved. Most people pay the monthly and never save up the actual price of the phone we’re discussing.

The whole idea of saving up for stuff and then buying is something I learned in grade school with a paper route. To get me ready for university, I had to learn to not spend money that I didn’t have, so that I could pay my credit card off each month. I got my first one in my freshman year of university.
I think the message always needs to be “don’t spend money you don’t have.” IMO a credit card needs to be used as a tool and not as a way to get something you can’t afford.

Technically, you aren't buying her the phone. You are giving her a $100 Christmas gift to use toward it, why not let her pay monthly? She can easily afford that payment when she gets a job.

Technically, you aren't buying her the phone. You are giving her a $100 Christmas gift to use toward it, why not let her pay monthly? She can easily afford that payment when she gets a job.

It’s around $35-40 a month. I’m pretty sure that’s what I’m paying on my 8 plus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter