Irma and autism.....

That must be disappointing to cancel as I'm sure you've all been looking forward to vacation :sad1:
Stay safe and I hope you can reschedule for a future date!

Good call, since they just announced that they were closing the parks for two solid days - and cancelling a lot of Saturday night activities as well. 48+ hours without park access, and very crowded common areas in resorts, if they even open them, does not sound like fun.

Sorry you have to skip your trip. :( Hopefully you'll be able to reschedule when we don't have a hurricane barrelling down on us. Really though, if there is a hurricane coming we tell people that if you don't have to be in Florida, please don't come. Our resources are always stretched thin when these things show up and Orlando is a popular spot for evacuees from south Florida.

Oh, one thing I should mention is that we typically have afternoon thunderstorms during the summer and fall. If being able to wander outside the hotel room is important, you may still want to stay somewhere that has indoor corridors and lobby for future trips.

Has anyone been to Disney with someone who has autism during a hurricane? Any advise? Are you allowed to leave the hotel? My 19 year old son is very challenged. Worried.

1) They can't stop you from walking out the main entrance or any other passage.
2) But, there will no transportation during the danger period, so there is no where to go but the resort grounds

Decided to cancel. Got my points back and the airline didn't charge to rebook. Better safe than sorry. Good Luck to all that are in the path.
you made the right chose I left yesterday, and just got home after a 12-hour drive, ( normally takes just under 4 hours) and now I am thinking of leaving my house and going further north,

I'm a high functioning adult on the spectrum and I was at the Beach Club for the duration of the hurricane. It was rough. Up until they put the resort on complete lockdown Sunday night, including zip tying the doors shut to the outside so you couldn't get out, you could walk all around the hotel grounds and in the Boardwalk/Yacht Club area, which was somewhat helpful. For those in this situation in the future, be aware that the hotels with interior corridors that lead to the lobby become activity central and are super loud, chaotic, and crowded with people trying to entertain the kids. By Sunday afternoon I had to stop going down to the lobby because I was losing it and couldn't handle it anymore. I was starting to just bolt away from the area and kept losing my party.

I have never been during a hurricane (as far as I can remember), and I know you canceled, but fitzpa, I wish your son lots of healing and happiness. :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter