Irma - impact

John-ManchesterUK

Earning My Ears
Seriously worried now that Irma is going to have a big impact on our holiday, a bit selfish I know as it's causing issues all over, should I be contacting Virgin/Disney or should I hold fast.

Been saving for 2 years for this and all planned out ....

We are supposed to travel on the 14th Sept :(

If the forecast holds they seem to be expecting it to hit mainland USA at the end of this week, so you will probably be OK.

We were there during Hurricane Matthew last year... the parks actually all closed for the day, which they've only ever done on four occasions before. However once it actually hit land it wasn't nearly as bad as they were expecting so hopefully it will be similar and dissipate again.

Though not on their website VIRGIN ATLANTIC passengers flying to Orlando can RESCHEDULE their trips within the next month - FREE OF CHARGE. Ring them if you want to do that.

hopefully, all will go well for you..
i doubt virgin will be able to tell you anything at this point, but of course, when you travel in hurricane season, you should always stay updated...

dd and i were just talking about it, but really hurricane season is the only time we can go...
we were lucky this year - no hurricane when we were there..
but we've encountered them many times on previous trips...
once while at WDW....parks were closed, everyone on property was told to stay inside the resort buildings - as they're built for hurricanes..
the CMs were great and while it impacted our holiday a bit, mostly it was interesting to see how disney deals with a storm of that magnitude (very well by the way)..

another year, we had to change flights for DS and his wife....they were flying through new york (where a cat 5 hurricane was about to hit) so we sent them out 2 days early and switched them to miami...(cost a fortune to make the change, but in the end we got the money back)..

and we've had lots of hurricanes swirling around us while flying in or out of orlando (the worst was one time when we flew in with two hurricanes off the atlantic coast and 1 off the gulf coast with the pilot threading the needle in....and a very very very very very very bumpy flight and landing....and one passenger yelling out as we came to a stop "thank you jesus"....pretty funny)..

point is...it's really difficult to know how the storm will impact your flights...
keep updated and hope for the best...

I am currently here in Miami. We are leaving tomorrow morning to head up to Orlando. We check into Disney on the 8th. We are slightly nervous and will take all instructions from Disney cast members. No one is yet sure where Irma will land fingers crossed for all this beast swings out to sea.

I am currently here in Miami. We are leaving tomorrow morning to head up to Orlando. We check into Disney on the 8th. We are slightly nervous and will take all instructions from Disney cast members. No one is yet sure where Irma will land fingers crossed for all this beast swings out to sea.

good you're leaving in the morning...though i'm guessing the roads heading north might be more crowded than usual...
you should be fine at WDW....their resorts are built for hurricanes and tornadoes...
and they'll tell you exactly what you have to do to stay safe!

here's hoping for no storm in orlando and lots of magic!! :)

I live in Tampa and am monitoring the storm. Keep in mind, no matter the plot this is a massive, massive storm over 400 miles wide. FL is a little over 100 miles wide. ALL of Florida will be effected. The gov. is asking for ALL of Florida to prepare. Last year Matthew followed a path similar to the current spaghetti models. Matthew was smaller and less intense. Disney closed for Matthew. The path can shift, the forecasts can change. If you can change your plans I would. As a Floridian, we all need to prepare. If you can make adjustment and allow for more Disney employees to be with their families during the storm it would be appreciated by those employees and their families.

Our family has supplies and hotel reservations in the event we need to evacuate.

If you think the media is overreacting then please, listen to Gov. Rick Scott. His advice is sound and should be taken into consideration.

I know many have trips that they are looking forward to, but I can tell you you will enjoy it more without a hurricane.

I live in Tampa and am monitoring the storm. Keep in mind, no matter the plot this is a massive, massive storm over 400 miles wide. FL is a little over 100 miles wide. ALL of Florida will be effected. The gov. is asking for ALL of Florida to prepare. Last year Matthew followed a path similar to the current spaghetti models. Matthew was smaller and less intense. Disney closed for Matthew. The path can shift, the forecasts can change. If you can change your plans I would. As a Floridian, we all need to prepare. If you can make adjustment and allow for more Disney employees to be with their families during the storm it would be appreciated by those employees and their families.

Our family has supplies and hotel reservations in the event we need to evacuate.

If you think the media is overreacting then please, listen to Gov. Rick Scott. His advice is sound and should be taken into consideration.

I know many have trips that they are looking forward to, but I can tell you you will enjoy it more without a hurricane.

excuse me, but these people are in florida from the UK....they're headed for WDW, which is exactly where they should be heading....
WDW is the safest place for them to be....
where else exactly would you have them go????

excuse me, but these people are in florida from the UK....they're headed for WDW, which is exactly where they should be heading....
WDW is the safest place for them to be....
where else exactly would you have them go????

I greatly greatly apologize, I misread the post and never meant to offend. I hope the the best for returning home.

No harm done :) We have went and got water and supplies and are packing soon ready for an early start tomorrow.

Take care anyone in FL at the moment, on the Radio this morning they have said MCO will be closed to all commercial flights from 5PM Saturday.

No idea how long it will be until they accept accept inbound flights, or can get people home.

Good luck, but if you are at DW and riding out the storm, stock up on food/water although resorts do their level best to provide (at cost) food/water lines are long and food not so great. Best bet is to stock up!

right now she's dropped to a category 4, so here's hoping she runs out of steam before reaching orlando!! (although the forecasts are for her to remain a powerful hurricane)..

Parks closing early tomororw and closed Sunday / Monday. Letter in room from OKW staff asking us to prepare for 24/48 hours in our rooms. Also asking that's we 'take full advantage of food and drink choices at the parks and Disney springs prior to closure' looks like there will be no lunch box type meals this year.

MK was quiet today. Did 90% of the attractions. Rode 7 dwarfs coaster 3 times back to back in the space of 30 mins.

Parks closing early tomororw and closed Sunday / Monday. Letter in room from OKW staff asking us to prepare for 24/48 hours in our rooms. Also asking that's we 'take full advantage of food and drink choices at the parks and Disney springs prior to closure' looks like there will be no lunch box type meals this year.

MK was quiet today. Did 90% of the attractions. Rode 7 dwarfs coaster 3 times back to back in the space of 30 mins.

my thoughts are with all of you there...
it looks like orlando is going to be hit by cat 4 winds......do as they say and stay indoors!!!
buy everything you can find in terms of food to take to your room...
when i rode out a hurricane with my kids years ago, there was no way to go outside once the hurricane hit...so you have to have everything with you in your room...
water, food, ask housekeeping for lots of toilet paper and extra towels...

do you have a flashlight? you don't want to waste your telephone battery on using it as a flashlight...they probably sell mickey souvenir flashlights in the store...
even one of those is better than nothing..

if you're inside you'll be safe...
those buildings are built like bomb shelters..
it sounds like the end of world outside, but indoors we were fine..

stay safe!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter