Irma, Results for Canceling/Rescheduling ONLY (no debate or if you should or shouldn't)

Was guest services able to change Halloween party ticket dates or did you have to wait again for ticketing? We were supposed to arrive tomorrow and attend tomorrow night's party but our flight was cancelled.

Ticketing

Originally had the Poly for 9/10-9/16. Free dining and fabulous dining reservations as well.

Cancelled all that on Friday.

Now I have booked us into the Grand Floridian for 10/29-11/4 under the Holiday Magic offer. Not free dining, but at least a discount. Hoping we can get some of our dining reservations. I was able to book Early Morning Magic and the Plaza Fireworks Dessert party. We don't stress as much over FP because one of our sons is eligible for the DAS pass and so we can just get a return time for any ride - and we don't ride some of the busiest ones anyway. I think FoP would be too much for him and he won't ride Everest or SpaceMtn. My husband rides Everest single rider line and I ride SpaceMtn during off-peak times.

Just hoping the crowd calendars stay accurate and our new dates will have relatively low crowds!

We were due to check in on 9/13 at Riverside (AP rate room). Last night we decided to move our trip back to the last week of September...Riverside wasn't available but Coronado was, still at the AP rate. We just this evening decided to upgrade to Yacht Club, still at AP rate.

I did all of this online and it worked out okay. Initially I had trouble changing to YC (the billing page on Disney's website wouldn't let me select my country or state when I went to pay the deposit??), so I called the reservations line and was on hold for about 30 minutes. The CM transferred me to Guest Services saying she couldn't find that AP rate. I was on hold there for an hour and then decided to try changing to YC again on an iPad - that actually did work so I hung up after an hour of being on hold.

Overall we've been lucky with moving everything (lost some good FP+ but what can ya do?). Our only outstanding issue is attempting to get a refund from United for one of our flights - we canceled our return flight last night and found today that they're issuing travel waivers. If only we'd waited one day! The flight we initially booked was pretty cheap so if it doesn't work out, we'll lose about $175. I'm not expecting them to give us a refund but may as well try! But our flight there was on Southwest - easy to move as we booked on points and the new flight is cheaper! I consider us lucky if we can come out of this having just lost the United flight.

Good luck to everyone trying to rebook, and to all the Floridians on this board. Stay safe!
Update from me is that two dining reservations I canceled are still showing up in my account. I have email confirmations that they were canceled so I think I'm covered, but it makes me nervous to still see them there!

I've called about them twice and have been assured that they are canceled. The system just must be slammed.

Last edited:
Update from me is that two dining reservations I canceled are still showing up in my account. I have email confirmations that they were canceled so I think I'm covered, but it makes me nervous to still see them there!

I've called about them twice and have been assured that they are canceled. The system just must be slammed.
The CM I spoke to this morning said he's never seen it as chaotic as it is now. He was so pleasant and helpful, and I was thrilled I got through so easily, so it was a nice, if unproductive, chat.

The CM I spoke to this morning said he's never seen it as chaotic as it is now. He was so pleasant and helpful, and I was thrilled I got through so easily, so it was a nice, if unproductive, chat.
Oh I'm sure it's just crazy! I feel so bad for everyone...the CMs that I'm sure are working overtime, the people waiting on hold for hours...my "problem" seems like nothing in comparison.

My first canceled reservation isn't until 9/16...I may try to call again on Thursday (hopefully things will settle down by then). I know I SHOULD be okay with the cancellation emails but I can't leave well enough alone. :upsidedow

Fwiw, @Ariel484 my hold time was 2 minutes, and they picked up even quicker than that. That said, I wouldn't worry too much, since you have the cancelations in writing.

Would it not let you cancel them online?

I agree they are just slammed. I did my dining cancellations myself online but the package I did via online chat (screen captured everything) and it was still showing up days later. Called just to make sure everything was all set and they had a note there that it was cancelled, just hadn't been entered. Disappeared later that day.

It's tough not to worry, but I do think things will sort themselves out eventually.

Would it not let you cancel them online?

I agree they are just slammed. I did my dining cancellations myself online but the package I did via online chat (screen captured everything) and it was still showing up days later. Called just to make sure everything was all set and they had a note there that it was cancelled, just hadn't been entered. Disappeared later that day.

It's tough not to worry, but I do think things will sort themselves out eventually.
Okay, so - I did cancel them online. Then I went back into my account and they are still there. But this is what they look like (obviously blurred out the numbers):

The first two are the ones that I "canceled" - the third one is a real reservation that I am keeping. Notice how there is no "Cancel Reservation" link for the first two like there is for the third one! :confused3 :rotfl2:Very weird. I tried in the app too - the cancel link was there but when I clicked it, it told me to call.

Again, I know it's okay since I have the emails, it's just weird and slightly unsettling (? too strong of a word). :) Disney IT for ya!

Has anyone got their refunds yet for the resort vacation package cancellations? I have got our prepaid ADR refunds etc, but nothing for the actual resort reservation cancellation. I've been assured the reservation was cancelled (even though it still shows on MDE along with our new Oct reservation) but my funds haven't been transferred to cover our new reservation nor have I got the remaining fund refunded to me yet.

Please call tomorrow and ask to be switched to guest services. They couldnt give me our Fastpasses or dining reservations but we kept our free dining. ONLY Guest services were able to do that. The first CM tried to tell me there was nothing available and GS wouldnt be able to but GS didnt hesitate to make it happen.
Can I ask what your checkin date is? I lost FD even talking to GS.

My new check-in date is Sept 30th. Look up what the free dining dates where and stay within them.

Has anyone got their refunds yet for the resort vacation package cancellations? I have got our prepaid ADR refunds etc, but nothing for the actual resort reservation cancellation. I've been assured the reservation was cancelled (even though it still shows on MDE along with our new Oct reservation) but my funds haven't been transferred to cover our new reservation nor have I got the remaining fund refunded to me yet.
I had a room-only reservation that I canceled on 9/4 or 9/5 (can't remember the date) - I just looked at my credit card statement and the refund came through on 9/10. Hope you see your soon!

We were due to check in on 9/13 at Riverside (AP rate room). Last night we decided to move our trip back to the last week of September...Riverside wasn't available but Coronado was, still at the AP rate. We just this evening decided to upgrade to Yacht Club, still at AP rate.

I did all of this online and it worked out okay. Initially I had trouble changing to YC (the billing page on Disney's website wouldn't let me select my country or state when I went to pay the deposit??), so I called the reservations line and was on hold for about 30 minutes. The CM transferred me to Guest Services saying she couldn't find that AP rate. I was on hold there for an hour and then decided to try changing to YC again on an iPad - that actually did work so I hung up after an hour of being on hold.

Overall we've been lucky with moving everything (lost some good FP+ but what can ya do?). Our only outstanding issue is attempting to get a refund from United for one of our flights - we canceled our return flight last night and found today that they're issuing travel waivers. If only we'd waited one day! The flight we initially booked was pretty cheap so if it doesn't work out, we'll lose about $175. I'm not expecting them to give us a refund but may as well try! But our flight there was on Southwest - easy to move as we booked on points and the new flight is cheaper! I consider us lucky if we can come out of this having just lost the United flight.

Good luck to everyone trying to rebook, and to all the Floridians on this board. Stay safe!
Second update from me - our original dates were 9/13 - 9/17. Was able to cancel/get refunded for everything except for our return flight on United on 9/17. They hadn't issued any travel advisories for our dates yet at the time, so I just canceled the flight on 9/5 and booked a new one for our new trip dates. Then the next day saw a post that they were issuing travel waivers with our dates included. I called, not expecting much, and was told to submit a refund request, which I did on 9/6.

Today I got an email that they have refunded our flights! :banana: I wasn't expecting them to (we've had one other instance with them trying to get a partial refund for a flight missed due to medical reasons, with a doctor's note as they instructed - that never panned out) so that was a nice surprise. Should see the $180 or so back on our credit card sometime in the next week. :)

It looks like more rooms are opening up for next week. I was able to go online this morning and reserve just one day at Wilderness Lodge for Monday 9/18. Since I booked that rooms have also become available at Fort Wilderness Cabins and AKV.

Thought people might like to know:
  • I cancelled my rooms on 9/7 and the money was refunded to my credit card on 9/7. I had paid it off in two chunks, and it was refunded in the same two chunks
  • I cancelled 2 tours and MNSSHP on 9/8, and the money was refunded to my credit card 9/8. Since I had paid for each separately, each one was refunded separately.
I hope anyone else who cancelled gets their money as quickly as I did!

Update: Yesterday afternoon I got an email about a "payment" on my new reservation and it was them crediting the new reservation with the cancelled reservation's funds. I still have not got a refund sent through to my credit card for the extra remaining funds from that.

I'm sitting on hold for guest services now (over 1.5 hours so far). We originally booked 9/10-9/15 at Wilderness Lodge. No availability there through end of year, we tried several different weeks. We aren't that flexible in travel schedule. We tried to make the original trip work, but ended up canceling last Thursday night. Our refund was processed yesterday. I have called to reschedule today, and have a reservation on hold for 4/29, EXACT same trip - DDP, tickets, PH, resort; and it's at least $1200 more expensive due to increased prices, no discounts, no free dining. Has anyone been successful in getting guest services to honor discounts or to give anything when rescheduling? It makes me sick. I get that they don't owe any refunds, but haven't seen where anyone got Disney to give anything. My sister was headed down the same time as us, staying elsewhere, and rescheduled for a date outside of Free Dining, but they let them keep it. Anyone else been successful?

I'm sitting on hold for guest services now (over 1.5 hours so far). We originally booked 9/10-9/15 at Wilderness Lodge. No availability there through end of year, we tried several different weeks. We aren't that flexible in travel schedule. We tried to make the original trip work, but ended up canceling last Thursday night. Our refund was processed yesterday. I have called to reschedule today, and have a reservation on hold for 4/29, EXACT same trip - DDP, tickets, PH, resort; and it's at least $1200 more expensive due to increased prices, no discounts, no free dining. Has anyone been successful in getting guest services to honor discounts or to give anything when rescheduling? It makes me sick. I get that they don't owe any refunds, but haven't seen where anyone got Disney to give anything. My sister was headed down the same time as us, staying elsewhere, and rescheduled for a date outside of Free Dining, but they let them keep it. Anyone else been successful?

The people I know that were going to be there during the storm who rescheduled were able to keep their discounts for new dates. Those that cancelled and then tried to book for a later date were not.

The people I know that were going to be there during the storm who rescheduled were able to keep their discounts for new dates. Those that cancelled and then tried to book for a later date were not.
That really stinks because I was given a guilt trip when I called to cancel about how people in Florida needed the rooms at Disney for evacuation, so it was good I was cancelling (we had made a room only reservation for Saturday night so we could try to get down there when we thought the worst of the storm was moving east). She also talked about Hurricane Harvey and how many people died in the flooding, and people still finding bodies in houses, so I felt like a real jerk for worrying about my vacation (which was warranted). I didn't want to keep anybody on the phone so other people could get through. I'll never try to be nice again. LOL Still on hold. Coming up on 2 hours.

That really stinks because I was given a guilt trip when I called to cancel about how people in Florida needed the rooms at Disney for evacuation, so it was good I was cancelling (we had made a room only reservation for Saturday night so we could try to get down there when we thought the worst of the storm was moving east). She also talked about Hurricane Harvey and how many people died in the flooding, and people still finding bodies in houses, so I felt like a real jerk for worrying about my vacation (which was warranted). I didn't want to keep anybody on the phone so other people could get through. I'll never try to be nice again. LOL Still on hold. Coming up on 2 hours.
How did it turn out? Hope they were able to do something for you. I was told no on FD on my trip by guest services when I had cancel and move ours to October. They said FD isn't offered then so they couldn't let me keep it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter