Irritating situation with United Airlines (good news update 2/7)

Claudia1

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
First, let me say that we have flown United to Florida, Hawaii, and California--all in the last year-- and they continue to change/cancel flights and wreck our plans with each trip. We have received some substantial travel vouchers in return for these changes but this last change has me really up in the air.

We booked for President's weekend all the way back in October. DH has a business trip and we all all joining im a couple of days later. Since Monday, the 18th, is a peak travel day, we booked early.

I was confirming our flights today and discovered that our 8:45pm outgoing flight from O'Hare was changed to 6:20pm. I had specifically booked a late flight because we live 4 hours from O'Hare and didn't want to take our children out of a full day of school, just to travel. They would have only miss the last 30 minutes, which is no big deal. I could not accept the new flight time.

Our only recourse is to fly out the next morning. That will waste 1/2 of a WDW day! In addition, I will now book a hotel room in Chicago to avoid getting up at 2am to get to the airport by 6:30pm. To add insult to injury, we no longer have assigned seats. I will be flying with a special needs teen and my 9 yr old son. We need to be seated together, which is another reason we booked so far in advance.

They offered to refund me the money but I can't find good airfare now that would give me more time in WDW. The only applicable flights on the 18th were early morning, which would cost us 1/2 at the end of the trip.

I am calling Customer Service in the morning, just to vent. I am sooooooo tired of the airlines changing my plans and I'm hoping that they will at least get me seat assignments for my distress.

Thanks for letting me vent! I will be calm when I talk to them...... I WILL be calm...... I will BE calm....... I will be CALM!

UPDATE:
I called customer service and they kept repeating that they have the right to change the schedule. I don't disagree with that and I usually expect that. The problem is that they changed it in Nov. and I just found out about it.

I told them that we should have been notified last 11/3/01 (or shortly thereafter) when it was changed so that I would have had the time to come up with a better solution. He kept apologizing for not notifiying me and offered me $50/person in travel vouchers. Well, I still have $772 in vouchers to use (from a price change) and I don't know if I will use the $150, too. I told him that the hotel was "cash out of pocket". The vouchers were the best that he could do.

For the seat assignments.... I told him that I booked in advance so that I would be sure to be seated with my kids. He repeatedly told me that the new flight is full and that nobody can assign seats now until we arrive at the gate. Absoltely nobody. Is that true? Is there nobody that can step in and help here? He put a attached a note to my file to recommend getting us together.

I told him that I booked early, paid, and did everything according to their policies. Now, I am very concerned that I will not be able to take care of my children. (I won't go into details but I MUST be seated with them for their safety; I'm not just being paranoid, I'm being realistic.) He asked me what I wanted.. I told him seat assignments were a priorty. (A free hotel would have been nice but I didn't ask.)

Does anybody have any ideas? Suggestions?

Hi, Claudia1 -

So sorry to hear about your situation. I don't know if there is anything that can be done right now or not. One last thing you might try is searching United's web site for some kind of "special needs" group. Usually these people are much more understanding and accomodating. Again, I don't know if this will help, but check out this link and note that there is TN at the bottom of the page.

http://www.ual.com/site/primary/0,10017,1046,00.html

If all else fails, get to the airport extra early and plead your case to the gate agent. I've seen lots of families accomodated at the last minute. Even if the flight is full, seat assignments will get juggled a bit due to people requesting the exit rows (assigned at the gate) or upgrades to FC. Many travelers will change seats so that parents can be with their children - especially if the children are small or have special needs.

Good luck - hope it alls works out and you have a wonderful trip with your family!

Carol

Wow! We heard back from United and we have seat assignments! Yahoo!!!!

I sent a polite, explanatory email (from info on the Untied site, thanks!) 2 days ago and they responded with the seats!

I will still get to O'Hare early but I won't be frazzled by trying to get seats together.

Thanks, United!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter