Is 100 pt add-on at a different 'home' worth it?

LIDisneyFan

<font color=red>Older, yet for some reason not muc
OK, here we go. We are looking at doing an add-on at VWL (WLV? - -OK, let's assume I learn the correct name!). We would really like to add on 100 pts, and we already own at BWV.

Now, the question. I know the 100 pts will make my BWV vacations longer, etc. which is my primary focus. But is it worth it to only add on 100 pts at a 'new home', or should we be looking to add on at lest 150 pts so we can take advantage of the 11 mth window and being a ble to book a reasonable amount of time at our 'new' home.

We're talking another $3,600 here, which I would prefer NOT to spend right now, but don't want to end up feeling like I have trouble using my 100 pts. at the new place.

Thoughts?

Okay, here is the thing!! You can figure if you buy that 100 points, you will be able to book a nice vacation at Wilderness every three years using your banking & borrowing abilities... That's what we've done with our OKW add on.... this gives you the 11 month booking advantage at Wilderness.... If your primary objective is to lengthen your Boardwalk stay EVERY year, buying at Wilderness is not a good idea... But if you want to stay at Wilderness every third year & use more of your BW points for two years instead of three (cause the third year you'll be at wilderness) then this is a good idea... I hope this makes sense!! It just depends where you want to stay....

I just did an add-on at VWL (I think that Villas at Wilderness Lodge is correct) of 70 points. I have 260 points at OKW so that is where I plan to stay the most but wanted the option of going to VWL some.

I'm single so would normally stay in a studio. I took the number of points needed for a studio stay for the length of a normal stay for me during the times of year I usually go. I then divided by 2 as my plan would be to do one of my visits at VWL every other year or so with the others at OKW. That is how I arrived at my add-on number.

Of course OKW and BWV are very different. I felt that I could probably use my VWL points at the 7 month window to extend an OKW stay. The reason that I did the add-on at VWL was that I believe the 11 month booking window would become important there and that using OKW points there would be difficult at some point.

It seems from reading here that the 11 month window at BWV is critical due to its popularity. I would be cautious in thinking that VWL points used at the 7 month window for BWV would always get you an extension there.

Just my thoughts.

I think it would be worth it.....having just done a tiny add on at VWL myself. 100 points can go far in adventure season, and if you used an every other year or every 3 years strategy you have a nice bunch of points to work with that could get you a nice VWL stay pretty much any time. Our plan is to add a few days at VWL onto our stays at BWV...but we actually kind of like switching resorts (once....not repeatedly!)

We also contemplated adding more than we did, but it just didn't seem to be a wise financial decision for now.

We are doing something similar.... adding on 50 points at the VWL so that we will have a total of 350 (with the first 300 at BWV). I figure while we are in studios it means a stay at VWL every other year or so, and when we eventually go to a 2br, every third year we can book half and half at the 11 month window and attempt to swtich to an all VWL vacation at the 7 month window.

350 is the right number of points for what we'd want to do in the future and I'm not sure why we didn't realize that when we did our last BWV add on, but it seemed "meant to be" because we completely fell in love with VWL and I'm glad we had the opportunity to buy 50 points there without feeling like we were going overboard... I haven't yet had to deal with keeping track of all of that but I figure it can't be TOO hard.

Someone else on a different thread also said that she uses the fact that weekends take longer to book up to her advantage... she books the sunday-thursday days in her first choice resort and then it is easier to get the friday and saturday days added on at the 7 month window.

I would think that if you have any interest at all in staying at VWL, you could do a LOT with a 100 point add on there and it's a great idea. If you have no interested in staying there, though, I agree that it will be a gamble to try to consistently get into BWV at the 7 month mark.

Lisa

With banking, borrowing and using your BWV points, you should be able to book anything and any size at WLV that you want. You could have up to 300 points. One consideration is that if you ever decided to sell, 150 points is likely to be much easier than 100 points to resell.

We own 350 points at OKW and 100 points at BWV. We added the 100 points at BWV to give us an opportunity to book at the 11 month window there, knowing that with banking and borrowing, we would have enough points to book the type of villa we would want about every three years. All of our contracts have the same use year, and they are not difficult to keep track of!

We would love to own some points at HH too..we are always dreaming of adding on somewhere!

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks everyone for the replies. Dean, I kind of agree, 150 pts is easier to sell (although that's something we never plan to do!!).

We recently did a 100 point add-on at VB. We are members at BWV. What we plan to do with this is: book our BWV at the 11 month window for the rooms we want in the Sun-Thurs range. Then, at the 7 month window, fill in the gaps with the VB points for the Fri & Sat only. I don't think we'll have a problem with Fri & Sat at BWV with the 7 month window, we'll keep our fingers crossed anyways.

have a nice day ;-)

I also own 175 pts at BWV. When I wanted to add on 100 pts. they were sold. Now I am waiting till next year and am going to add on at the new BCV. Yeah, it will be more expensive then but I figured for me, I just love the area of the Boardwalk so naturally I will also love the area of the BCV. Since I found out that the 11 month window books fast at the BWV I think it will also be the case with the BCV.

I can't wait for the BCV to open. I'm on the list now for an add on when they come available.

Gina

Hi, we've just added on 100pts at Vero. We figured that based upon going to DVC once every two years we'll have 200 points available each time we vacation at VB and that this will give us a 1BR pretty much for most of the year for a week. I too went through the quandry of buying more but I guess it's down to personal budget, that's why we defaulted to the 100pt add-on to our existing 240 at BWV.

Hope you make the right decision for you! At the end of the day there are so many connetations that we short-listed the options and plumped for VB with the 11month window for some R&R.

Have a Disney day!!!

Dave. :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter