• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is 5 hours enough time to disembark and catch a flight?

aharbin88

DIS Veteran
Seems like a crazy question to have to ask, but I've never cruised before and I don't have the slightest clue how long the process takes. We arrive back in Port Everglades on the Allure of the Seas at 6:15AM, and our flight leaves Ft. Lauderdale at 11:05AM. Is that enough time? It's a domestic flight, so surely it is, but I'm still a little nervous about it. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Seems like a crazy question to have to ask, but I've never cruised before and I don't have the slightest clue how long the process takes. We arrive back in Port Everglades on the Allure of the Seas at 6:15AM, and our flight leaves Ft. Lauderdale at 11:05AM. Is that enough time? It's a domestic flight, so surely it is, but I'm still a little nervous about it. Thanks in advance for any insight!
Yes. You won't have a problem. They will ask if you have an early flight too and make sure you get off in time.

But with that class of ship I've heard that disembarkation at that port isn't always smooth. That there can be delays.

If you've already booked, I would at least make sure you know what other flights will be an optio. Just in case.

But with that class of ship I've heard that disembarkation at that port isn't always smooth. That there can be delays.

If you've already booked, I would at least make sure you know what other flights will be an optio. Just in case.
Our other options are to spend the night and leave Monday (not really an option considering work and school), cancel altogether and drive all the way back, or drive to another airport and get a flight from there. None of those are pleasant ideas, so I'm really putting all my eggs in one basket and praying for the best case scenario! I will take the pp's advice and let them know we have an early flight, and hopefully that will at least get us near the front of the line. Any tips on how to make that happen?

Our other options are to spend the night and leave Monday (not really an option considering work and school), cancel altogether and drive all the way back, or drive to another airport and get a flight from there. None of those are pleasant ideas, so I'm really putting all my eggs in one basket and praying for the best case scenario! I will take the pp's advice and let them know we have an early flight, and hopefully that will at least get us near the front of the line. Any tips on how to make that happen?
I wouldn't worry about it. If you buy the transfer from RC, you'll get to the airport on time.

You should have enough time. Just keep in mind you cannot disembark until about an hour after arriving. The ship needs to clear customs and such first. Self assist disembarkation will be first. This is where you carry your own luggage off. It's probably the quickest way to go.

The airport in Ft. Lauderdale is so close to the ship terminal that if you stand on the top deck of the Allure and look up when a plane is taking off, it feels like you can almost bounce tennis balls off the bottom of the plane ;) It's maybe all of 15 minutes from the ship terminal to the airport.

My one and only cruise was on RC and it took a LONG time to disembark - like over 2 hours. People were just lined up all over the ship waiting. Maybe that's not typical though.

You should be fine if you do self-assist and you're at terminal 18. Which you should be if you're the only Oasis class ship in port that day. They normally start self assist at 6:30 for Allure.

Just remember that the ship has no control over when passengers will be cleared to disembark. The procedure can be held up for any number of reasons. I have been on some cruises that held the ship for over 3 hours for some reason. It is a rare occurrence though.

If you can self disembark (handling your own luggage from your room to the pier), and do so shortly after you're allowed to (probably around 6:30-7a), you won't have a problem. If there happens to be some out of the ordinary circumstances (late to port, late for clearance, etc), you could be in trouble. I'm guessing the problems make up 2% of the returns. There are people on Cruise Critic who have said they're at their gate at FLL by 8am. Yes, you might be waiting for 3 hours, but the security lines at FLL will fill up also so you could have a wait there.

If my choice was an 11am departure the same day or waiting for the next day, I'd take the 11am also, but also know it MIGHT (but probably won't) be problematic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter