Is a 3-day cruise worth it?

FSU Girl

DIS Veteran
I want to go on a 3-day cruise over a long weekend so not much time off from work. My husband isn't so keen on the idea and thinks we should go somewhere new like Boston, NYC, or Colorado. What can I say to convince him to do the cruise? We've done a 4 day on the Dream before. Or should I not try and convince him and go to one of the cities he was thinking of visiting?

I can let you know in June, LOL.

I just booked a quick 3nt to celebrate my birthday. I'm trying not think of it as too short, but we just got back from a 7nt, and I loved it. Our first cruise was a 4nt, and while I felt it was a good intro to DCL, it did feel a bit short. We're not planning on getting off ship in Nassau, so I'm hoping that will help.

I can let you know in June, LOL.

I just booked a quick 3nt to celebrate my birthday. I'm trying not think of it as too short, but we just got back from a 7nt, and I loved it. Our first cruise was a 4nt, and while I felt it was a good intro to DCL, it did feel a bit short. We're not planning on getting off ship in Nassau, so I'm hoping that will help.
Ya we just did a week long and its really nice being on the ship for that long. My argument is a short cruise is better than no cruise lol. And our next one isn't until over a year from now which seems too far away

I want to go on a 3-day cruise over a long weekend so not much time off from work. My husband isn't so keen on the idea and thinks we should go somewhere new like Boston, NYC, or Colorado. What can I say to convince him to do the cruise? We've done a 4 day on the Dream before. Or should I not try and convince him and go to one of the cities he was thinking of visiting?

From where would you be traveling? If you’re only a couple hours away from PC, the cruise makes more sense. If you are going to burn a day or two traveling to a destination (Cruise, NYC, Boston, etc), then you’ll probably want more than an extended weekend to spend.

We did a 3 day on the Dream in October for DS birthday. It was nice, but it does feel like once you get on that it's time to leave. The time goes by quickly. Having said that, I would still do it again. It's a nice weekend getaway.

We've been on two 3-nights, two 7-nights, and a 5-night. Longer is preferable, but shorter cruises are still great and we've found them completely worthwhile.

The key is to do only what you really feel like doing, and to let yourself fully relax & not worry about "wasting time" just chilling out because it's a short cruise. The whole point of cruising is to get to thouroughly chill out, so no time is wasted.

Another tip is to embark early (with a shoulder bag only, so you're not hauling around luggage until staterooms open), and disembark after a leisurely breakfast. If you're ready to relax upon arrival and can arrive early, embarkation day will feel almost like a full day.

I also recommend unpacking fully & moving in, to maintain that home away from home feel, even though it's only for a few nights.

That said, your husband should also have some say in terms of where you vacation...

Last edited:

From where would you be traveling? If you’re only a couple hours away from PC, the cruise makes more sense. If you are going to burn a day or two traveling to a destination (Cruise, NYC, Boston, etc), then you’ll probably want more than an extended weekend to spend.

Yep this is how I feel too! We did a 3 day cruise from LA to Vancouver (where we live) and I would absolutely do this one again or in the opposite direction b/c it is a fairly short flight. I wouldn't fly to the opposite coast for a short cruise though.

We went on a 3 day for our first cruise just to see how it would go (I get motion sickness). We added on days at Disney so while we had more vacation to do besides the cruise, I thought the 3 days was a nice getaway. There were several people who said they do this particular 3 day cruise every year (the Friday after Thanksgiving) because it allows them a quick cruise without really having to take off much work/school. If it fits nicely into your schedule it could be a great getaway as long as you go into it knowing you can't do everything. Pick the one or two things everyone is most excited about and and then just relax.

The benefits to the cruise is you don't have to plan anything like you would if you went somewhere else - accommodations, restaurants, entertainment is all done - plus paid for! It can be a stress free vacation. If we were going to one of the other places you mentioned, I would want to research fun places to eat and would definitely have some must-see attractions that would make it a more "active" vacation vs a "relaxing" vacation. I would sort of look at it the same way I view a Disney parks vacation vs a Disney cruise. One we go-go-go (and love it!) the other we relax and soak up the sun (which we also love!) So I would just sell him on the peace and tranquility!! ;-)

We did a 3 day cruise and loved it. If it was a first cruise, it would definitely be too short. We made a list before the cruise of the things we absolutely had to do. We mainly did the 3 day because I wanted to see the new Beauty and the Beast show on the Dream and we wanted to go to Castaway Cay since our next cruise would not be going there. We also knew that we had a 7 day cruise a month later, which made it easier. I agree to get on the ship ASAP for a 3 day so that day feels more like a full day. I was really surprised how long the 3 day actually felt.

Boston is nice, New York is awesome... But a cruise is even better.

A 3 nights cruise is much better than zero cruise and if you stay on the ship in Nassau it's even more worth it.

Last edited:
We will be doing a 3 night cruise on the Fantasy right after one full day at MK with my nephew and family. It will be a first for them with 3 kids (7, 5, 4). Totally a trial run to see the park and ship and learn the logistics. Then we wave bye-bye to them and stay on the Fantasy for a 5 night western Caribbean.
Where are you starting from?

We live in South Florida so it'll be about a 3 hour drive to the port. If we fly to NYC or Colorado those are only 3 hour flights so it's only slightly more travel time. Although being able to drive instead of work around airplane times is a little more convenient. If we fly we'd leave after work on Thursday night.

That said, your husband should also have some say in terms of where you vacation...
He's not much of a planner and I pretty much plan all our vacations. He will want some say, but I suggested those other cities too so really all locations will be coming from me. He likes to hear reasons why I want to do something to decide on what we'll do so I need to come up with points on why we should go somewhere. He likes making me happy and knows I love planning and he doesn't.

Yep this is how I feel too! We did a 3 day cruise from LA to Vancouver (where we live) and I would absolutely do this one again or in the opposite direction b/c it is a fairly short flight. I wouldn't fly to the opposite coast for a short cruise though.
The cruise option would be the closest option since both are in Florida. Everywhere else requires flying.

We went on a 3 day for our first cruise just to see how it would go (I get motion sickness). We added on days at Disney so while we had more vacation to do besides the cruise, I thought the 3 days was a nice getaway. There were several people who said they do this particular 3 day cruise every year (the Friday after Thanksgiving) because it allows them a quick cruise without really having to take off much work/school. If it fits nicely into your schedule it could be a great getaway as long as you go into it knowing you can't do everything. Pick the one or two things everyone is most excited about and and then just relax.

The benefits to the cruise is you don't have to plan anything like you would if you went somewhere else - accommodations, restaurants, entertainment is all done - plus paid for! It can be a stress free vacation. If we were going to one of the other places you mentioned, I would want to research fun places to eat and would definitely have some must-see attractions that would make it a more "active" vacation vs a "relaxing" vacation. I would sort of look at it the same way I view a Disney parks vacation vs a Disney cruise. One we go-go-go (and love it!) the other we relax and soak up the sun (which we also love!) So I would just sell him on the peace and tranquility!! ;-)
Normally with a shorter cruise I'd add some days to Disney, but we won't really have the time, maybe on Monday, but it'll be right after Star Wars land opens so I don't really want to deal with that chaos.

We will be doing a 3 night cruise on the Fantasy right after one full day at MK with my nephew and family. It will be a first for them with 3 kids (7, 5, 4). Totally a trial run to see the park and ship and learn the logistics. Then we wave bye-bye to them and stay on the Fantasy for a 5 night western Caribbean.
Where are you starting from?
We live in South Florida about three hours from the port so it would be the easiest option to get to. Everywhere else will require flying.

I think that there are advantages to both. A cruise is familiar to you so naturally you'll gravitate toward it. It's not too far in terms of getting there for you, and you'll doubtless have a great time especially since it's a 'known quantity' for you. But seeing a new city is also lots of fun. Yes, you'll have to fly, but being east coast means at least the flight won't be too long. Personally I'd love a few days in NYC.

When are you planning on traveling and what kind of vacations do you like? Me - I really like beach vacations and relaxing :-D.

We live outside of Boston and it’s a beautiful, clean city (at least compared to NY!) and fun to walk around, with tons of history. NYC obviously has no comparison - shopping, broadway shows, iconic neighborhoods, etc. Neither are very relaxing but they’re great cities to visit.

Since you live so close to the port, then I would say it would be worth it. That being said, if you or your dh are interested in early American history, then you should plan a trip to Boston and many other towns around MA. Salem is a fun town and has more than just the witch trials stuff to see. Plymouth, Lexington, and Concord are great and only need 1/2 day to visit. You can easily get in a car and drive to the different towns to see stuff. MA is beautiful in the Fall. I lived in Shrewsbury, MA for just 2 yrs (many years ago) and loved living there.

I am usually the one here saying “3 and 4 night cruises are way too short and not worth it”. But since you live so close to the port and can drive, then I say go for it. For us, flying from Arizona, then no, it is not worth it to me. Have fun!

We did a 3 day last fall for my daughter's birthday. It was our 4th cruise. It was also a Halloween cruise. We had a great time but there was so much put into the 3 days that we didn't really relax. So we booked a 7 day for this August so we can really enjoy it. A cruise is always a good idea no matter the length.

I did a three day in 2016. My plan was to have a three vacation experience in one trip. I arrived on 10/31 doing the last MNSSHP and did 4 days to capture Food and Wine Fest. Then I went on the 3 day cruise to be able to book future cruise with DS and DDIL. I finished with another 4 days at the end to sync to the first MVMCP. In general a 3 day was not something I would do again unless maybe a back to back for the experience. You could try the argument of cheaper way to advance through or reach next level (silver, gold, platinum) if you cruise often enough. You could also look at sailing out of a different port. There are some cruises that leave from NY.

We live in South Florida so it'll be about a 3 hour drive to the port. If we fly to NYC or Colorado those are only 3 hour flights so it's only slightly more travel time. Although being able to drive instead of work around airplane times is a little more convenient. If we fly we'd leave after work on Thursday night.

It's really a 4 to 4.5 hour flight from Fla to Colorado:) These are totally different types of trips so I would say it really depends on what you feel like doing for a quick weekend trip. A three day cruise is great, and it's really only one day shorter than what you've sailed before. We have done several 3-night DCL cruises but we live only 2 hours away from PC so it's very convenient for us:thumbsup2. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter