Is a birth certificate good enough proof of citizenship for a child under 16?

Rustysmom

DIS Veteran
Hi,

We are going on our first Disney cruise in July, a 3 night one to the Bahamas. My DH and I have passports, and just ordered a passport for my 22 year old son, but my 14 year old daughter's passport expired and we haven't gotten her a new one because if we get it now, it's only good for 5 years. I kind of wanted to wait until she's 16 to get it so that it's good for 10 years. I ordered the passport for my son because he doesn't really have any ID and he's an adult, but what is required for children under 16? Is her birth certificate enough? She doesn't have any other ID. We are all U.S. citizens.

An official state-issued birth certificate is acceptable for U.S. residents on a closed loop cruise. Those age 16+ must also have photo ID. Whether this is “good enough” depends on one’s point of view and risk tolerance. It is acceptable. However, if there is any need to fly (home, next port, etc.) a Passport book would be required.

Enjoy your cruise!

The child is 14. A child's passport will expire when she is 19. Most likely she will be a college student st that time. A “family vacation” is completely plausible, in which case the parents might well opt to cover the cost of a passport. When I was in college, I would not have spent my own money on a passport for a family vacation; if my parents wanted me to join them, they would have paid for it. I guess it may depend on family dynamics and priorities, though as lots of DIS posters mention college-age Kids chipping in for family vacations.

I agree for a family vacation it is normal for the parents to foot the bill. Just seems strange to fret over 100 for a PP vs potential issues of not having one for such an expensive trip.

I wouldn't chance it. If there's some emergency where you have to fly home, you need a passport.

The child is 14. A child's passport will expire when she is 19. Most likely she will be a college student st that time. A “family vacation” is completely plausible, in which case the parents might well opt to cover the cost of a passport. When I was in college, I would not have spent my own money on a passport for a family vacation; if my parents wanted me to join them, they would have paid for it. I guess it may depend on family dynamics and priorities, though as lots of DIS posters mention college-age Kids chipping in for family vacations.
Outstanding replies on this thread. Thank you for your factual voice of reason.
As an adult parent of adult children, I will continue to pay for their passport renewals until they are out of college and on their own two feet. I feel that is my responsibility as a parent. Each family is different though I do not judge those who have a different perspective.

As for the original poster's question, you answered it beautifully earlier.

For 3 days you are probably ok, but remember if something goes south and you need to fly back you will have a problem and quite a few hoops to jump through to solve it. I like getting rid of potential problems before they ever arise. The cost is worth my piece of mind.

As an adult parent of adult children, I will continue to pay for their passport renewals until they are out of college and on their own two feet.

Nice of you.

When I got my passport in grad school I was working as well, and I paid for it. My mom hadn’t yet traveled anywhere internationally but Canada, which didn’t require a passport then. Family vacations were domestic. And rare. So so rare.

So even though my mom supported me in many ways, she was not directly involved in paying for my passport.

And I will likely expect that my son uses his earned money to pay for his first adult passport. We managed to accidentally time it perfectly that both passport and nexus will run out in his 18th year so he can have the fun and joy of budgeting for those. And I’m not saying that sarcastically!

Now, the OP could always be kind and pay for that passport at 19 (assuming she waits and gets the next passport when dd is 16). But I don’t think it’s worth NOT having a passport for two years because of this concern. To me it’s misplaced money-worries.

For adult children? Times really have changed. For a family trip I get that, but if the OP's daughter were to travel overseas without her parents would you expect them to foot the bill?
Why wouldn’t a parent that is supporting the child in college or for a future career not help out if willing. Condemning the parent by saying the child can pay when they turn 18. Parents are responsible for kids when they turn 18 if they are still in HS.

Many kids are able to be on insurance up until the age of 25.

For adult children? Times really have changed. For a family trip I get that, but if the OP's daughter were to travel overseas without her parents would you expect them to foot the bill?
Her daughter will only be 19 when her passport expired. My parents helped me out a lot with expenses when I was 19 and in college. I'm in my 40's so it was a while ago. I fully expect to pick up the bill for passports while my kids are in college and yes I'll pay there travel expenses until they graduate. I worked when I was in college, but that 5 bucks an hour didn't go very far.

An official state-issued birth certificate is acceptable for U.S. residents on a closed loop cruise. Those age 16+ must also have photo ID. Whether this is “good enough” depends on one’s point of view and risk tolerance. It is acceptable. However, if there is any need to fly (home, next port, etc.) a Passport book would be required.

Enjoy your cruise!
I would clarify that this is true IF your child was born a US citizen. My kids live in the US and are citizens but they weren't born here and their state issued birth certificate clearly says "not proof of citizenship" on it. I take the BC for them to prove they are mine and their passports to prove citizenship. Rare situation but I have met other adoptive parents who aren't aware so just putting this out there.

My daughter was born here. As for her paying for her own passport when she's 19, probably not gonna happen as both my kids have disabilities. This is the only trip we're taking until after she's 16, and at that time we'll get her the adult passport. I don't think I'll worry for the 2 days we're in ports.

To be upfront: we have to have passports because we're in Canada, so I don't fully understand the questions posted of having them in the first place because it seems like a no-brainer to me..

That being said, I would renew it.

My reasons: (Here at least) renewal is cheaper than applying for a new one and less of a hassle (less paperwork) than applying for a new one. In the next 5 years, what if you want to travel somewhere else?

You've spent how much on a this cruise? What difference is an additional hundred bucks or so gonna do?

Peace of mind should something happen. It's "only 3 days" isn't excuse enough for me to NOT do something that could potential save me a lot of headache should something go wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter