Is a birth certificate good enough proof of citizenship for a child under 16?

To be upfront: we have to have passports because we're in Canada, so I don't fully understand the questions posted of having them in the first place because it seems like a no-brainer to me..

That being said, I would renew it.

My reasons: (Here at least) renewal is cheaper than applying for a new one and less of a hassle (less paperwork) than applying for a new one. In the next 5 years, what if you want to travel somewhere else?

You've spent how much on a this cruise? What difference is an additional hundred bucks or so gonna do?

Peace of mind should something happen. It's "only 3 days" isn't excuse enough for me to NOT do something that could potential save me a lot of headache should something go wrong.
Remember that in the U.S., they have to jump through hoops to get a child's passport renewed, like both parents' consent/presence to apply. In Canada, we just send in the paperwork with a couple of photos, a signature and a credit card number. So it's really easy for us. That may be part of OPs decision, as well.

My daughter was born here. As for her paying for her own passport when she's 19, probably not gonna happen as both my kids have disabilities. This is the only trip we're taking until after she's 16, and at that time we'll get her the adult passport. I don't think I'll worry for the 2 days we're in ports.

Good info for a first post on the subject so we don’t have to be extra helpful. :)

If you run into an emergency that requires a flight home, you’ll get to spend some time and some extra money getting her a passport (and I believe that emergency passports are generally short-term ones) before they’ll let you fly, but you won’t be stuck.

My reasons: (Here at least) renewal is cheaper than applying for a new one and less of a hassle (less paperwork) than applying for a new one.

There’s no such thing as a renewal for an under-16 passport in the US, fwiw.

There are ways around the “both parents” hassle, but there’s no cost savings for a new minor passport.

Remember that in the U.S., they have to jump through hoops to get a child's passport renewed, like both parents' consent/presence to apply. In Canada, we just send in the paperwork with a couple of photos, a signature and a credit card number. So it's really easy for us. That may be part of OPs decision, as well.

This this! It is no accident that we didn't get our kids passports until they wouldn't need to renew them as kids. Even within the US, how much of a hassle it is depends a lot on where you live. Some places have Saturday appointments, some only do weekdays. Some you have to make your appointment months in advance, others you can walk in. Some are very strict about the pictures. Some can take your pictures right there, others you have to bring a picture with you and HOPE it is acceptable so as not to have to come back. And though the cost isn't large compared to the whole trip, it is a big expense at a time when there are a lot of competition for that money (excursions, etc.) And then there is the two parent thing....

Good info for a first post on the subject so we don’t have to be extra helpful. :)

If you run into an emergency that requires a flight home, you’ll get to spend some time and some extra money getting her a passport (and I believe that emergency passports are generally short-term ones) before they’ll let you fly, but you won’t be stuck.

There’s no such thing as a renewal for an under-16 passport in the US, fwiw.

There are ways around the “both parents” hassle, but there’s no cost savings for a new minor passport.

It is true there are ways around the two parent requirement, but since they involve additional forms and official notarization, they can sometimes be just as much or more of a hassle than having both parents present.

I do tend to agree that emergency issues are rare, and the remedy for not having a passport does exist, so I wouldn't be too worried about that, but having said that, we got the passports for our kids anyway.

I will also say, since they haven't yet gotten driver's licences, there have been a couple of times when the boys needed photo IDs and having their passport or even the passport card, was a real convenience.

Fair enough point. I'm not aware of what the rules in the US are obviously given I don't live there. ;)

I don't know that that would even be enough for myself to NOT get one... KWIM? Its obviously a personal decision but I'm a "why take the risk not having one" kinda gal. :P

To be upfront: we have to have passports because we're in Canada, so I don't fully understand the questions posted of having them in the first place because it seems like a no-brainer to me..
Yeah..it's a different situation for most U.S. citizens when it comes to passports and just having them for the sake of having them.

That being said, I would renew it.
In order to renew a passport you have to have been 16 and older when it was originally issued in the U.S. This means that the OP would have to apply for another minor passport that lasts for 5 years. A passport issued to someone 16 and older is good for 10 years.

You've spent how much on a this cruise? What difference is an additional hundred bucks or so gonna do?
The difference in cost isn't too too much.

A minor passport is $115 total and a passport to those 16 and older is $145. But it's that the OP's daughter's passport would only be good for 5 years at the cost of $115 vs 10 years at the cost of $145.

I do agree on the risk but I also understand the cost standpoint as well as the steps needed for passports for those under age 16.

We're going on a 4 night cruise in June. We didn't get any of our children passports. My children are very unlikely to travel out of the country again in the next couple of years, so we didn't see it as worth it. DH and I have passports.

We might not even leave the ship in Nassau, so I don't know how likely we would be to get stuck somewhere.
And as others have pointed out, we would not be stuck forever, it would just be a bigger hassle.

We might not even leave the ship in Nassau, so I don't know how likely we would be to get stuck somewhere.
And as others have pointed out, we would not be stuck forever, it would just be a bigger hassle

Sure it was a hassle to get the passports for my kids, but when I was 5 years old - this happened to us and we were stranded! I will never forget it - it took ages for my parents to sort it out with the embassy and get us home, and my parents were stressed out and miserable the entire time (and no doubt spending a fortune on hotels, and dealing with an employer who was not thrilled about the unplanned vacation extension). Would not run that risk of a much bigger hassle just to avoid a little hassle. Don't forget, even if you do not plan to disembark at a foreign port, you may have to if there is a medical emergency.

Everyone weighs differently, but my attitude is, would I rather go through the annoyance of the paperwork, or the annoyance of not having it when I need it, and for me it is definitely the former.

Everyone has to do what is right for them....in our family we feel the need to have passports. When my grandkids were born that was my gift to them...to get their first passport. Got them when they were just months old. I (and their parents) don't care if they need to get them a few times before they turn 16. We feel they are important to have and soon we all may need them to travel domestically here in the US.

Our newest grandchild is 4 months and we plan on getting his very soon even though we have no trips planned as yet.

MJ

I would clarify that this is true IF your child was born a US citizen. My kids live in the US and are citizens but they weren't born here and their state issued birth certificate clearly says "not proof of citizenship" on it. I take the BC for them to prove they are mine and their passports to prove citizenship. Rare situation but I have met other adoptive parents who aren't aware so just putting this out there.
Same here. We got DS a passport card when we got his passport and we carry it even when we travel domestically

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!