Is a FastPass for Rivers of Light Necessary?

ForEver2016

Mouseketeer
I was only able to get a FP for FOP at 6:40 so I’m worried about being able to snag a Rivers of Light FastPass as my 4th that late in the day. Is it really necessary to have one to watch it? I’ve heard of people lining up a while in advance, but that was towards the beginning of its run so not sure if the hype has died down at all yet. We are only in the park for half a day and no dining packages are available for our schedule.

No it isn't necessary. There is no problem getting it as a fourth though if you can. If it is available I would grab it otherwise you should be able to do standby.

Of all the "evening spectaculars" RoL is the least difficult to attend.

Last edited:

Thanks everyone! Is it hard to get a seat if we try to get in, say 15 or so minutes before the show?

Thanks everyone! Is it hard to get a seat if we try to get in, say 15 or so minutes before the show?

Regardless of the relative popularity of any of the evening shows, it is much safer to arrive far too early than to arrive one minute too late.
I would arrive at least 30 minutes prior to start-time of RoL (and earlier than that, if possible.)
If seeing a particular performance is IMPORTANT to you, arriving earlier rather than later could make a difference.
OTOH, If seeing a given show is just of passing interest, it is possible that you could be lucky just showing up close to show time.

You can arrive 15 mins and get a seat, but you might not get the best viewing angle. We arrived once about 15 mins before and sat off to the side of the theater. I thought it was hard to see some of the water projections that seemed like they would be better viewed straight on.

Is it really necessary to have one to watch it?
It might depend on the time frame of your trip. If you were traveling during a very busy time then you might want to show up 20-30 minutes ahead, but traveling during moderate crowd times you would probably be safe with 15 minutes prior. No FP usually needed.

To me it was a one and done. And once was even too many times. A good time to take a nap.

I was also disappointed in it, and not because I felt it needed more IP (which seems to be their fix for the show). For me I thought the narrative was not as strong and compelling as the other evening shows, but just my opinion/taste.

I was also disappointed in it, and not because I felt it needed more IP (which seems to be their fix for the show). For me I thought the narrative was not as strong and compelling as the other evening shows, but just my opinion/taste.
Have you viewed it since its update in May? We have not. I wondered if the new elements made worthwhile improvements. Thanks for any input!

Have you viewed it since its update in May? We have not. I wondered if the new elements made worthwhile improvements. Thanks for any input!

Sorry, I should have clarified! I haven't seen the new version, but from reading others' reports online it seems not much has changed besides eliminating the actors and adding in more IP to the film clips. It sounds like it needs a complete overhaul, but I think they would be hesitant to do that since so much has already been invested in its development. Also some people do like it!

There are also some decent views from the bridges that lead back to Discovery Island if you are looking for another way to watch. No FP or waiting in line required. You do have to stand, but it's easier getting out of the park because you are ahead of the crowd. ALSO, if you find yourself not enjoying the updated show, you can just leave without disturbing anyone.

Last edited:
Is the show cancelled as often as it was earlier on?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!