"Is ABD worth the $$$?" Discussion thread

Interesting.... so even though it is DOUBLE the price you think its worth it in our case... It's going to have to be a moot point now since our dates aren't covered by ABD but we are going to certainly try to mimic something similar. I'm choosing to do an entire day as a Panda Keeper in Chengdu for instance, which isn't something Disney would do. The 2 flights in one day is the Xian trip, right? For the terra-cotta warriors? Turns out its pretty easy to do this - I've contacted a group that gives you the option of doing a day trip by plane or you can do a bullet train (or even overnight train if you wish). I think we are going to go from Chengdu and spend one night in Xian then head onward to Beijing since someone (I think sayhello?) waxed poetic which helped me research how easy it was to add it. We'll have 3 nights in Hong Kong, 3 nights in Chengdu, 1 night in Xian, 3 nights in Beijing and 4 nights in Shanghai. :faint:
:D My work is complete!

Sayhello

Back in 2006, we did a tour from Beijing to Xian that included our in-country flights, hotel in Xian, guide, driver and vehicle and all entrance fees. It was very reasonable. I think at that time, the 2 night trip for everything for two people was maybe around $1400 or something. I can't remember for sure but it wasn't much. Totally doable to arrange all of this on your own from the states, even with the language barrier.

We plan to go back to China in a few years and I'm not sure about using ABD or not. It seems like a great trip, but that is very pricey, and we want some time to do things like visit the province where my daughter is from and meet her foster family, so logistically, I don't know. There is something to be said for a guide handling things for you, but that can be arranged with Chinese guides who speak great English and you aren't with a big group, so there are a lot of options.

Interesting.... so even though it is DOUBLE the price you think its worth it in our case... It's going to have to be a moot point now since our dates aren't covered by ABD but we are going to certainly try to mimic something similar. I'm choosing to do an entire day as a Panda Keeper in Chengdu for instance, which isn't something Disney would do. The 2 flights in one day is the Xian trip, right? For the terra-cotta warriors? Turns out its pretty easy to do this - I've contacted a group that gives you the option of doing a day trip by plane or you can do a bullet train (or even overnight train if you wish). I think we are going to go from Chengdu and spend one night in Xian then head onward to Beijing since someone (I think sayhello?) waxed poetic which helped me research how easy it was to add it. We'll have 3 nights in Hong Kong, 3 nights in Chengdu, 1 night in Xian, 3 nights in Beijing and 4 nights in Shanghai. :faint:

I actually looked around after and found the same info about the terra-cotta warriors. It is apparently a common thing just to fly in for the day. I think where it gets tricky on the ABD schedule is that you start and end the day in different cities, so you have to deal with luggage. I'm not sure if you would be able to pick it up and immediately check it back in at the airport. If this was ok then it wouldn't be so bad. I think how much it's worth it depends on how much you want to do, your time available, and how often you go. I think for a once in a lifetime trip, it's definitely worth the money. You get to see the best of China in a pretty short amount of time. Not necessarily saying I would do it, but I see the value, especially compared to some of the other trips I looked at.

I actually looked around after and found the same info about the terra-cotta warriors. It is apparently a common thing just to fly in for the day. I think where it gets tricky on the ABD schedule is that you start and end the day in different cities, so you have to deal with luggage. I'm not sure if you would be able to pick it up and immediately check it back in at the airport. If this was ok then it wouldn't be so bad. I think how much it's worth it depends on how much you want to do, your time available, and how often you go. I think for a once in a lifetime trip, it's definitely worth the money. You get to see the best of China in a pretty short amount of time. Not necessarily saying I would do it, but I see the value, especially compared to some of the other trips I looked at.
This is one of the benefits of doing the trip with ABD. We never saw our luggage from the 11pm night before pick-up in Chengdu to our arrival in Guilin that night. And our carry-ons were securely left on the ABD motorcoach. I'll tell you, I've said it before, but walking off the plane and out of the terminal without having to stop at the luggage carousel is *really* something I could get used to!!

Sayhello

Last edited:

So after a long hiatus, which includes getting a new job and a 2 week tour of Europe (not with ABD), I thought it would be fun to price out Disney's newest trip, Japan! I remember when they were announced, and I experienced some sticker shock despite not planning to go. But apparently that feeling wasn't mutual, because all but two trips between now and the end of 2019 have sold out. Not surprising considering how popular visiting Japan is. Anyway, enough with that, here's the breakdown. I listed both the initial price and current price, which is quite a large gap because this trip is almost full.

ABD Japan
June 30 - July 10, 2019
$9,499 - $10,699 pp x2 = $18,998-$21,398 for 2 people, 1 room

Hotels:

All hotels assume 1 Queen/King or 2 doubles, whichever is cheaper, and double occupancy.

Hyatt Regency, Kyoto, King Bed Room for 4 nights = $1,115

Hotel Associa Takayama Resort, Twin Room incl. breakfast for 2 nights = $372

Hilton Odawara Resort, Twin room for 1 night = $262

The Peninsula Tokyo, King Bed Room for 3 nights = $1,698

Hotel Total = $3,447

Transportation:

Bus from Osaka Airport to Kyoto Train + Taxi to Hotel: $50

Unlimited Kyoto Subway and Bus Pass: $62

Bullet Train to Hiroshima: $395

Transportation in Hiroshima and to Miyajima Island: $17

Train Tickets to Nara and Takayama: $189

Takayama Taxis: $50

Train from Takayama to Hilton Odawara: $321

Taxi in Odawara: $100

Tickets to Kamakura and Tokyo: $32

Subway and Taxis in Tokyo: $200

Transfer to Tokyo Airport: $50

Transportation Total = $1,466

Meals (all prices are for 2):

Day 1
Lunch on your own
Dinner at the Hotel: $117

Day 2
Breakfast at hotel: $63
Lunch at Yoshiya Restaurant: $50
Dinner at The Sodoh: $110

Day 3
Lunch on your own
Dinner at Okonomiyaki: $30

Day 4
Bento Box Lunch
Dinner on your own

Day 5
Lunch on your own
Dinner at hotel: $80

Day 6:
Breakfast at hotel: $60
Lunch at Irori: $30
Dinner at Suzuya: $60

Day 7
Lunch on your own
Dinner on your own

Day 8
Lunch in Kamakura: $50
Dinner at Gonpachi: $90

Day 9
Breakfast at hotel: $55
Lunch at sushi class
Dinner on your own

Day 10
Lunch on your own
Dinner at Happo-En: $162

Day 11

Total for all meals = $1,376

Activities:

Day 1
On your own

Day 2
Kyoto rickshaw and walking tour: $157
Pure Water Temple tour: $8

Day 3
Shinto Shrine and Buddhist Temple Tour: $9
Hiroshima Peace Park: $4
Hiroshima WWII Museum: $4

Day 4
Temple Visit: $9
Taiko Drum Lessons: $108
Bento Box Class and Lunch: $140
Food Tour: $74
Hozen-ji Temple: Free

Day 5
Fushimi Inari Shrine: Free
Mochi Class: $102
Sumo Museum and Demonstration: $95

Day 6
Shirakawa-go tour: $120
Bike Ride: $20
Onsen: $20

Day 7
Takayama Food Tour: $90
Calligraphy Class: $27

Day 8
Hakone Open Air Museum: $29
Cup Noodles Muiseum: $9
Tokyo Walking Tour: Free, $10 Tip

Day 9
Hamarikyu Gardens and Tea Ceremony: $120
Sumida River Cruise: $14
Senso-ji Temple: Free
Asakusa Walking Tour: Free, $10 tip
Sushi Class and Lunch: $97

Day 10
Meiji Jingu Shrine and Kagura Ceremony: $90
Takeshita Street: Free

Day 11
Departure

Total for all activities = $1,366

Summary:
Hotels: $3,447
Transportation: $1,466
Meals: $1,376
Activities: $1,366

Grand Total: $7,655

Price Difference: $11,343 from minimum price

Things you get with ABD that you can't on your own:
2 Guides familiar with the area acting as your personal concierge
Luggage service at all hotels and the airport
Private transportation that does not involve driving yourself or public transit (minus the bullet train)
Several private meals at the restaurants mentioned above
Separate activities for children
Dinner at Happo-En is not normally open for individuals, only groups. You can visit the gardens on your own

So I believe this is the largest gap between doing it on your own and going yourself I've seen so far. I would guess some of that is because the trip is new, they don't have to worry as much about competitive pricing. Transportation is also very expensive in Japan. Most highways are toll roads, and a 4 hour drive could cost upwards of $80 for just a regular sedan. Disney did actually choose reasonably priced hotels for the first 3 cities, so the lodging bill for 10 nights is not as high as I thought it would be. This trip also includes a TON of guided activities and not too much time on your own. While most of the temples and museums only require a small admission charge, having your own tour group does greatly enhance the experience.

Now with that being said, would I go on this trip? At this price, that is a definite no. In my last post, I talked about how China was one of the more worth it trips because of things like the internal flights and language barrier. While I don't find flying particularly challenging, it does take up a lot of time and energy. The Japan trip replaces all those flights with trains (or motorcoaches if you use ABD), and Japan has probably the smoothest running train system in the world. Even in the countryside, the train map and ticket machines are easy to navigate if you speak English. In addition to transportation, Japan in general is just easier and more familiar for most western travelers without experience in Asia. While shrines in Japan are beautiful, I'm not sure all the activities ABD does are what I would be most interested in. I would probably stay for 5 days in Osaka, a week in Tokyo, and maybe 3 days in Sendai or Yamagata. I think that staying mostly south of Tokyo, you end up missing many of the older, more historical small towns in Japan. That being said, this trip still gives you an amazing 10 day overview of the country, and if it's in your budget I'm sure it would be an amazing trip.

If you're interested in seeing Tokyo Disneyland, it is available as an add-on to this trip. That included transfer from the Peninsula hotel to the resort, your hotel stay, park tickets, extra fastpasses, a dining plan, and transfers from the parks to the airport on your last day. If you just happen to be in Tokyo and not planning on staying on property, the parks can be easily accessed using the subway system.

Let me know your thoughts on this very expensive but popular trip!

(In an unrelated note, I think ABD's next new destination should be the Ukraine. Not a lot of people outside of Eastern Europe really know about it, but it's one of the most interesting places I've ever been.)

I thought it would be fun to price out Disney's newest trip, Japan!

This is super interesting! I am also interested in ABD Japan but since there are other things I would like to see and do in Tokyo, I began investigating alternatives. Thanks for this.

I think ABD's next new destination should be the Ukraine.

Seems unlikely... but we would love to hear about your trip!

We had a great Rhine River cruise with ABD, and I'd definitely do it again. Made it very easy. That being said, I was surprised that there really wasn't much that ABD did that we couldn't have arranged on our own. You were really paying for convenience and a family-friendly trip, which is honestly fine by me, but the idea of there being some extra-special ABD-exclusiveness really didn't hold true.

So after a long hiatus, which includes getting a new job and a 2 week tour of Europe (not with ABD), I thought it would be fun to price out Disney's newest trip, Japan! I remember when they were announced, and I experienced some sticker shock despite not planning to go. But apparently that feeling wasn't mutual, because all but two trips between now and the end of 2019 have sold out. Not surprising considering how popular visiting Japan is. Anyway, enough with that, here's the breakdown. I listed both the initial price and current price, which is quite a large gap because this trip is almost full.

ABD Japan
June 30 - July 10, 2019
$9,499 - $10,699 pp x2 = $18,998-$21,398 for 2 people, 1 room

Hotels:

All hotels assume 1 Queen/King or 2 doubles, whichever is cheaper, and double occupancy.

Hyatt Regency, Kyoto, King Bed Room for 4 nights = $1,115

Hotel Associa Takayama Resort, Twin Room incl. breakfast for 2 nights = $372

Hilton Odawara Resort, Twin room for 1 night = $262

The Peninsula Tokyo, King Bed Room for 3 nights = $1,698

Hotel Total = $3,447

Transportation:

Bus from Osaka Airport to Kyoto Train + Taxi to Hotel: $50

Unlimited Kyoto Subway and Bus Pass: $62

Bullet Train to Hiroshima: $395

Transportation in Hiroshima and to Miyajima Island: $17

Train Tickets to Nara and Takayama: $189

Takayama Taxis: $50

Train from Takayama to Hilton Odawara: $321

Taxi in Odawara: $100

Tickets to Kamakura and Tokyo: $32

Subway and Taxis in Tokyo: $200

Transfer to Tokyo Airport: $50

Transportation Total = $1,466

Meals (all prices are for 2):

Day 1
Lunch on your own
Dinner at the Hotel: $117

Day 2
Lunch at Yoshiya Restaurant: $50
Dinner at The Sodoh: $110

Day 3
Lunch on your own
Dinner at Okonomiyaki: $30

Day 4
Bento Box Lunch
Dinner on your own

Day 5
Lunch on your own
Dinner at hotel: $80

Day 6:
Lunch at Irori: $30
Dinner at Suzuya: $60

Day 7
Lunch on your own
Dinner on your own

Day 8
Lunch in Kamakura: $50
Dinner at Gonpachi: $90

Day 9
Lunch at sushi class
Dinner on your own

Day 10
Lunch on your own
Dinner at Happo-En: $162

Day 11

Total for all meals = $1,376

Activities:

Day 1
On your own

Day 2
Kyoto rickshaw and walking tour: $157
Pure Water Temple tour: $8

Day 3
Shinto Shrine and Buddhist Temple Tour: $9
Hiroshima Peace Park: $4
Hiroshima WWII Museum: $4

Day 4
Temple Visit: $9
Taiko Drum Lessons: $108
Bento Box Class and Lunch: $140
Food Tour: $74
Hozen-ji Temple: Free

Day 5
Fushimi Inari Shrine: Free
Mochi Class: $102
Sumo Museum and Demonstration: $95

Day 6
Shirakawa-go tour: $120
Bike Ride: $20
Onsen: $20

Day 7
Takayama Food Tour: $90
Calligraphy Class: $27

Day 8
Hakone Open Air Museum: $29
Cup Noodles Muiseum: $9
Tokyo Walking Tour: Free, $10 Tip

Day 9
Hamarikyu Gardens and Tea Ceremony: $120
Sumida River Cruise: $14
Senso-ji Temple: Free
Asakusa Walking Tour: Free, $10 tip
Sushi Class and Lunch: $97

Day 10
Meiji Jingu Shrine and Kagura Ceremony: $90
Takeshita Street: Free

Day 11
Departure

Total for all activities = $1,366

Summary:
Hotels: $3,447
Transportation: $1,466
Meals: $1,376
Activities: $1,366

Grand Total: $7,655

Price Difference: $11,343 from minimum price

Things you get with ABD that you can't on your own:
2 Guides familiar with the area acting as your personal concierge
Luggage service at all hotels and the airport
Private transportation that does not involve driving yourself or public transit (minus the bullet train)
Several private meals at the restaurants mentioned above
Separate activities for children
Dinner at Happo-En is not normally open for individuals, only groups. You can visit the gardens on your own

So I believe this is the largest gap between doing it on your own and going yourself I've seen so far. I would guess some of that is because the trip is new, they don't have to worry as much about competitive pricing. Transportation is also very expensive in Japan. Most highways are toll roads, and a 4 hour drive could cost upwards of $80 for just a regular sedan. Disney did actually choose reasonably priced hotels for the first 3 cities, so the lodging bill for 10 nights is not as high as I thought it would be. This trip also includes a TON of guided activities and not too much time on your own. While most of the temples and museums only require a small admission charge, having your own tour group does greatly enhance the experience.

Now with that being said, would I go on this trip? At this price, that is a definite no. In my last post, I talked about how China was one of the more worth it trips because of things like the internal flights and language barrier. While I don't find flying particularly challenging, it does take up a lot of time and energy. The Japan trip replaces all those flights with trains (or motorcoaches if you use ABD), and Japan has probably the smoothest running train system in the world. Even in the countryside, the train map and ticket machines are easy to navigate if you speak English. In addition to transportation, Japan in general is just easier and more familiar for most western travelers without experience in Asia. While shrines in Japan are beautiful, I'm not sure all the activities ABD does are what I would be most interested in. I would probably stay for 5 days in Osaka, a week in Tokyo, and maybe 3 days in Sendai or Yamagata. I think that staying mostly south of Tokyo, you end up missing many of the older, more historical small towns in Japan. That being said, this trip still gives you an amazing 10 day overview of the country, and if it's in your budget I'm sure it would be an amazing trip.

If you're interested in seeing Tokyo Disneyland, it is available as an add-on to this trip. That included transfer from the Peninsula hotel to the resort, your hotel stay, park tickets, extra fastpasses, a dining plan, and transfers from the parks to the airport on your last day. If you just happen to be in Tokyo and not planning on staying on property, the parks can be easily accessed using the subway system.

Let me know your thoughts on this very expensive but popular trip!

(In an unrelated note, I think ABD's next new destination should be the Ukraine. Not a lot of people outside of Eastern Europe really know about it, but it's one of the most interesting places I've ever been.)
Wow! Amazing job—thank you for doing this. I think, lol, since I’m signed up. Does make me a little hesitant though. I had such an amazing time in China last year, I’m trusting this wil blow me away, too. But that’s a really big gap. Really big.

Wow! Amazing job—thank you for doing this. I think, lol, since I’m signed up. Does make me a little hesitant though. I had such an amazing time in China last year, I’m trusting this wil blow me away, too. But that’s a really big gap. Really big.

They say that once you do one ABD trip, it's hard to go back to other types of travel. I'm sure you'll have an amazing trip. Just because the cost breakdown is lower doesn't mean it's physically possible. Dragging large pieces of luggage on trains is a pain, and the train transfers between cities usually take longer than what it would take a bus. Yes you're paying a premium, but you'll have a much more comfortable and relaxing trip than trying to do this on your own. For an 11 day trip, this is pretty much the most you can possibly do.

They say that once you do one ABD trip, it's hard to go back to other types of travel. I'm sure you'll have an amazing trip. Just because the cost breakdown is lower doesn't mean it's physically possible. Dragging large pieces of luggage on trains is a pain, and the train transfers between cities usually take longer than what it would take a bus. Yes you're paying a premium, but you'll have a much more comfortable and relaxing trip than trying to do this on your own. For an 11 day trip, this is pretty much the most you can possibly do.
Yes, this will be our seventh ABD--hard to believe. We've had an amazing time on most of them, but I do try to be cognizant of the "value." I think some are much better than others. This clearly falls in the "others" category :) I think once we have some trip reports back from early travelers it will give a better sense of the "intangibles" that are sometimes had to quantify. The problem with this though is that sometimes there aren't those intangibles (like on the ABD Baltic Add on we did), which left me feeling as if I'd gotten ripped off. That was the only ABD trip I've ever felt like that about. China, Backstage Magic (old itinerary) and Scotland (original itinerary), I actually felt were a great value for the money. But Japan is definitely a trip I want some hand-holding on and I really do love the itinerary.

Dragging large pieces of luggage on trains is a pain,

My understanding is that Japan has a robust luggage courier system that can be arranged thru the hotel, and that from town to town that's often how people transfer their luggage. Just speaking from my research when I was looking at putting together a Japan family vacation.

My understanding is that Japan has a robust luggage courier system that can be arranged thru the hotel, and that from town to town that's often how people transfer their luggage. Just speaking from my research when I was looking at putting together a Japan family vacation.

I haven't tried a system like that. I know from many European trains that people tend to just bring luggage. You can arrange for door to door delivery through some of the train companies, but I've never had that much I needed to ship.

Yes, this will be our seventh ABD--hard to believe. We've had an amazing time on most of them, but I do try to be cognizant of the "value." I think some are much better than others. This clearly falls in the "others" category :) I think once we have some trip reports back from early travelers it will give a better sense of the "intangibles" that are sometimes had to quantify. The problem with this though is that sometimes there aren't those intangibles (like on the ABD Baltic Add on we did), which left me feeling as if I'd gotten ripped off. That was the only ABD trip I've ever felt like that about. China, Backstage Magic (old itinerary) and Scotland (original itinerary), I actually felt were a great value for the money. But Japan is definitely a trip I want some hand-holding on and I really do love the itinerary.

I don't know if I would say it's a worse value. Looking at my previous breakdowns, most trips cost about double the price to do it on your own. I also agree that some of the add-ons are questionable. If you're not switching hotels/cities then a good chunk of the value diminishes. From what I've seen, I think that China, Vietnam, or South Africa look like the most worth it compared to trying to do it on your own. I personally think Backstage Magic is the best way to do a Disneyland trip, combining it with a few post-nights at your DL hotel and maybe some pre-nights in LA.

The Japanese delivery services (takuhaibin) are awesome - inexpensive and super reliable. We've used it on both of our trips to Japan. I wish Europe had something similar.

I have a hard time seeing the value for U.S. based ABD trips, with the exception of anything specific to Disneyland. Just seems that you could fairly easily recreate a similar experience.

But for international travel, I think that there is a real value of having somebody else worry about all of the logistics and language barriers and stuff like that. I'm really looking forward to not having to deal with getting through the train station and to the airport. Not that I can't do those thing - I totally can and have in travel in the past. It is just that they can be stressful, which is just the opposite of what I go on vacation for. (And from experience, I know that stress + foreign country = marital strife. One of the worst fights in my 21+ year marriage was while we were trying to get to CDG from our hotel in Paris. Thank goodness for the nice ticket counter agent who gave us exit row seats. We really needed the pixie dust at that point, if you know what I mean.)

I am surprised that the Japan difference is as much as it is (and I'm sure ABD gets some kind of discount on hotel rooms).

While I love jimmymc's cost comparisons, one thing to keep in mind is that he is not including the cost of guides in any of his calculations. I did my own calculation on the Scotland trip including the cost of 1 guide per day of actual touring (i.e. not arrival or departure day), and the cost differential versus on my own was only about 30%. I acknowledge that is still a big premium, but it is much less than 50%.

To decide if ABD is worth the money, I think you need to decide if you will enjoy having guides versus being on your own. And you also need to decide how much you value having someone take the stress out of your trip. Having someone else in charge of logistics is undoubtedly less stressful than DIY. However, some people either don't mind that stress that much or are not willing to give up flexibility and control in order to avoid stress. For those people I think there is less of a value proposition.

In summary, after actually doing an ABD, it is clear to me that you are getting something for your premium -- but the question is whether you are someone who values the something you are getting.

From my research, a private guide seems to add $1000/day to a trip. That's substantial for a family. That's practically nothing divided between 15-20 people (assuming 2 guides on a max filled ABD.) Now, there's the fact that the guide can do all the things you don't want to worry about that may be worth more (and makes "worth it" impossible to calculate) to you, but for bottom line cost, it shouldn't factor that much into it.

If you are on your own and want a guide, your choices are either a private guide or booking a separate group tour for each location. I think that the second option is more comparable to ABD -- although obviously not precise, so that is the number I used. It came to about $200 per day for my party of 3.

From my research, a private guide seems to add $1000/day to a trip. That's substantial for a family. That's practically nothing divided between 15-20 people (assuming 2 guides on a max filled ABD.) Now, there's the fact that the guide can do all the things you don't want to worry about that may be worth more (and makes "worth it" impossible to calculate) to you, but for bottom line cost, it shouldn't factor that much into it.
It does figure in if you're looking to compare apples to apples. And having some sort of a guide is definitely required to make the trips equivalent

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!