Is anyone else not impressed with Hamilton? UPDATE

I can't get into it either. I love musicals but I don't like rap and I've never been interested in the early history of America, yes, I know it's important but it's never been of interest to me. I tried to watch this recently and couldn't even make it 10 minutes in.

Nope. Don't really like operas. I like musicals with songs that help move the story along, but not when the whole story is a song. I didn't see much actual acting in the first 35 minutes of Hamilton. It was just songs and dance number after song and dance number.
Yup it's an opera. Like Les Miserables and Phantom Of The Opera and Jesus Christ Superstar (to name a few modern examples - not all operas are women in horned hats singing in German or Italian for 12 hours!). Operas use music for all storytelling purposes like character intro/characterization/exposition/plot advancement/conflict. They make heavy use of musical motifs to advance and reinforce these themes as well (i.e. every time Darth Vader is on screen you hear his musical motif).

Not trying to change your mind necessarily on operas but if you approach Hamilton looking for the way LMM uses these tools to tell the story you might get more out of it.

We thought the Disney+ version did not do the show justice. Disney+ version, for what ever reason, is also really dark and hard to see everything. There is so much going on that with the close up we noticed things we had not noticed before. Also, if you didn‘t listen to the music before hand, probaly multiple times, this is just a hard show to follow. Everyone told us before we saw it live to start listening to the music at least a month before. We saw it in Chicago twice and thought the Chicago cast was much better, especially the king. The king in chicago had a much stronger personality and really had fun with the role. In fact some of the chicago cast moved to the broadway cast in New York when ours closed. Give it a try in person if you get the chance.

Yup it's an opera. Like Les Miserables and Phantom Of The Opera and Jesus Christ Superstar (to name a few modern examples - not all operas are women in horned hats singing in German or Italian for 12 hours!). Operas use music for all storytelling purposes like character intro/characterization/exposition/plot advancement/conflict. They make heavy use of musical motifs to advance and reinforce these themes as well (i.e. every time Darth Vader is on screen you hear his musical motif).

Not trying to change your mind necessarily on operas but if you approach Hamilton looking for the way LMM uses these tools to tell the story you might get more out of it.

THIS!! I am still blow away by how much thought was put into the musical construction of the show. There are some fascinating YouTube videos about it, and some of the interviews with LMM he gets talking about the intent behind some of the rhythmic and stylistic choices he made and how they connect with the story being told.

We thought the Disney+ version did not do the show justice. Disney+ version, for what ever reason, is also really dark and hard to see everything. There is so much going on that with the close up we noticed things we had not noticed before. Also, if you didn‘t listen to the music before hand, probaly multiple times, this is just a hard show to follow. Everyone told us before we saw it live to start listening to the music at least a month before. We saw it in Chicago twice and thought the Chicago cast was much better, especially the king. The king in chicago had a much stronger personality and really had fun with the role. In fact some of the chicago cast moved to the broadway cast in New York when ours closed. Give it a try in person if you get the chance.

RE: the music being hard to follow - its so true, it's lyrically DENSE. I was blown away by it in person, but watching the Disney+ version with the subtitles on was a really neat way to experience it!

I've been struggling to get through it. I love musicals/operas but for some reason I just can NOT get into this one. I don't care for the rapping parts (and I like rap music in general), and the other songs so far have been just ok. I really enjoyed King George's first song (not sure if he signs again, haven't made it that far), but that's about it.

I like musicals, but I didn't like Hamilton. I didn't enjoy it when it was released. And I've recently decided to give it a second chance, and I didn't change my mind. Also I checked movies review sites and found out that its movie rating is 8.8/10 IMDb, so most people like it.

Hamilton was okay, but it did not blow me away. I liked a few songs (Theodosia and You'll Be Back), and I appreciate the complex rap rhythms and lyrics in most of the rest of the show. I watched it twice and enjoyed it, but it's not a favorite of mine.

Lin-Manuel Miranda's super-star status and fame is puzzling to me. His music composition is okay, but not really top-notch compared to other popular composers. I imagine it's the novelty of his bringing the rap genre to the Broadway stage, as well as the racially progressive casting choices that have helped bolster attention for his work.

In addition, his personal performances are frankly sub-par -- it's really weird how he casts himself as the lead in his own musicals. He's just not that great of a singer or dancer and it kind of stands out.

I also saw it in Chicago and thought the king was better in Chicago. My daughter agreed as well.

I started to watch it, but it took us 2 days because we had to take breaks. We like musicals, but some of the songs were not that catchy. I do like some of them and sing them once in a while

To each their own, but to me completely unentertaining. I tried but couldn't watch for long.
It's amazing how different tastes can be. I find it absolutely riveting. It's energizing one moment and ripping my heart out the next. The voices are stunning. The choreography and dancing is amazing. The acting is sublime. I get goosebumps several times throughout the show. But I love musical theater, history (especially this particular era of American history), and all types of music including rap.

But we all have our thing. I was just thinking today that even if I never watch anything else, I'd keep Disney+ just to have access to Hamilton whenever I want. (Watching it as I type this actually, LOL). The more I watch it and listen to it the more I love it.

I am not a fan. I was super excited when the soundtrack dropped. I listened and was completely underwhelmed. I figured it was just a show I didn't care about. Then the rabid fans came out. Apparently if you say ANYTHING about their precious Hamilton, you will be verbally attacked on the internet. :crazy2: I watched a bootleg and hoped I would catch the magic. I didn't. I won't watch it on Disney +.

I am not a fan. I was super excited when the soundtrack dropped. I listened and was completely underwhelmed. I figured it was just a show I didn't care about. Then the rabid fans came out. Apparently if you say ANYTHING about their precious Hamilton, you will be verbally attacked on the internet. :crazy2: I watched a bootleg and hoped I would catch the magic. I didn't. I won't watch it on Disney +.
I'm going to resist the urge to try to convince you to give it a chance on Disney+. It's not your thing, and that's absolutely cool. It'd be a shame if we all had the same opinions and tastes. How boring.

I'll just say that I didn't "get it" either when I heard snippets from the soundtrack occasionally when visiting my parents. (My 75+ year old parents totally dig Hamilton, lol!) I was to the point that even when the show was still touring, I didn't really care about seeing it. My parents even talked about a trip to NYC to see it and I was indifferent. And I adore musical theater. Kind of a musical nerd, in fact. I also love rap and hip-hop and history...there was no good reason for me to be so snobbish about this show other than I'd heard some bits and pieces of the soundtrack and it just fell flat for me.

I didn't have high hopes for seeing it on Disney+ because I'm also one that believes musical theater is always best experienced live. You just can't replicate that energy and intimacy that comes with sitting in a theater with the live performers and orchestra and being completely immersed in a show. It's magic.

I'm glad I was proven wrong. In a world where finding pure joy seems to be getting harder and harder to do, Hamilton gives me that joy.

We all have our thing. And I apologize for the essay. I'm in the throes of my Hamilton honeymoon...just can't get enough of it. I hope I didn't come across as "rabid." :)

I have not had any desire to watch it. I might give in some day to see what all the fuss is about. Some day :)

I'm going to resist the urge to try to convince you to give it a chance on Disney+. It's not your thing, and that's absolutely cool. It'd be a shame if we all had the same opinions and tastes. How boring.

I'll just say that I didn't "get it" either when I heard snippets from the soundtrack occasionally when visiting my parents. (My 75+ year old parents totally dig Hamilton, lol!) I was to the point that even when the show was still touring, I didn't really care about seeing it. My parents even talked about a trip to NYC to see it and I was indifferent. And I adore musical theater. Kind of a musical nerd, in fact. I also love rap and hip-hop and history...there was no good reason for me to be so snobbish about this show other than I'd heard some bits and pieces of the soundtrack and it just fell flat for me.

I didn't have high hopes for seeing it on Disney+ because I'm also one that believes musical theater is always best experienced live. You just can't replicate that energy and intimacy that comes with sitting in a theater with the live performers and orchestra and being completely immersed in a show. It's magic.

I'm glad I was proven wrong. In a world where finding pure joy seems to be getting harder and harder to do, Hamilton gives me that joy.

We all have our thing. And I apologize for the essay. I'm in the throes of my Hamilton honeymoon...just can't get enough of it. I hope I didn't come across as "rabid." :)
Come From Away gives me pure joy. I dragged my husband to see it in San Francisco. He was so glad we went. He went for me, but ended up loving it. I am one of those people who can watch a poorly made bootleg and catch the magic of the show. I am more angry I don't like it. I am someone who usually finds the offbeat or unique ways of presenting a show amazing. I LOVED American Idiot. I HATE Green Day, but American Idiot made my day. I did an angry listen to it and fell in love. I don't hate hip hop and I love history, so Hamilton seemed a slam dunk. It was eh. I finally decided to watch the bootleg last year. I figured it would be like Heathers. I would put my laptop down and get so engrossed in the show and the magic would come alive. I spent most of the time tuning it out or ragging on the subpar choreography. I just isn't for me. I don't hate that people love it. I am glad people like it. I just having my entire social media taken over by "Hamilton love".

ragging on the subpar choreography.

😲
You know about the part where they do one song "Helpless" from Eliza's POV and then "rewind" for Angelica to sing "Satisfied" which goes back and looks at her POV during that same moment in time? They had to perform the choreography for "Helpless" backwards for "Satisfied" and it totally matches up and eventually gets us back to the time when we left off for the rewind. It's amazing. It's something I didn't really catch watching the movie, but I heard so much about it that I looked it up. This video is side-by-side of "Helpless" and "Satisfied" showing how the choreography of both tunes matches up. Pretty cool.

A Winter's Ball/Helpless vs. Satisfied

I'm ashamed to admit I'd never heard of Come From Away. I'm going to have to make myself more familiar!

😲
You know about the part where they do one song "Helpless" from Eliza's POV and then "rewind" for Angelica to sing "Satisfied" which goes back and looks at her POV during that same moment in time? They had to perform the choreography for "Helpless" backwards for "Satisfied" and it totally matches up and eventually gets us back to the time when we left off for the rewind. It's amazing. It's something I didn't really catch watching the movie, but I heard so much about it that I looked it up. This video is side-by-side of "Helpless" and "Satisfied" showing how the choreography of both tunes matches up. Pretty cool.

A Winter's Ball/Helpless vs. Satisfied

I'm ashamed to admit I'd never heard of Come From Away. I'm going to have to make myself more familiar!
Just because it has one good part does mean the choreography was good. I will admit to being completely salty that Shuffle Along lost for best choreography to Hamilton. I honestly feel that because the show was so popular, the judges forgot to look at the other shows that were actually worthy of the Best Choreography. I will totally give it Best Show and Best Book and Music. It should not have won best choreography.

I haven't seen Shuffle Along, so I can't compare. I really don't care about who won what and had no idea what Tonys the show had or hadn't won when I watched it.

To each their own. I promise I'll hush now. This thread is for people who want to talk about what they don't like instead of what they do like. I'll leave you to it.

Come From Away gives me pure joy. I dragged my husband to see it in San Francisco. He was so glad we went. He went for me, but ended up loving it. I am one of those people who can watch a poorly made bootleg and catch the magic of the show. I am more angry I don't like it. I am someone who usually finds the offbeat or unique ways of presenting a show amazing. I LOVED American Idiot. I HATE Green Day, but American Idiot made my day. I did an angry listen to it and fell in love. I don't hate hip hop and I love history, so Hamilton seemed a slam dunk. It was eh. I finally decided to watch the bootleg last year. I figured it would be like Heathers. I would put my laptop down and get so engrossed in the show and the magic would come alive. I spent most of the time tuning it out or ragging on the subpar choreography. I just isn't for me. I don't hate that people love it. I am glad people like it. I just having my entire social media taken over by "Hamilton love".

Totally off-topic but have you seen the Come from Away performance at "Gypsy of the Year"? Combines your love of Come from Away and choreography.

Totally off-topic but have you seen the Come from Away performance at "Gypsy of the Year"? Combines your love of Come from Away and choreography.

I LOVE this performance. It makes me laugh every time!!! The "marking" of the turns was hilarious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter