is anyone having 2 year old meltdowns for not wanting to wear masks?

hannymom

Mouseketeer
Is anyone having this problem while you are there? We will be there next month and although my daughter is having her wear her mask to get used to it, sometimes two year olds have a mind of their own. I'm guessing we can spend time in designated areas if that happens. any other suggestions?

Is anyone having this problem while you are there? We will be there next month and although my daughter is having her wear her mask to get used to it, sometimes two year olds have a mind of their own. I'm guessing we can spend time in designated areas if that happens. any other suggestions?

You can spend time in the mask free areas but that doesn't really seem worth it to me personally.

I'd wait and go to the parks when the mask rule is lifted.

We unfortunately canceled our August trip because our 2.5 year old flat out won't wear a mask no matter what we do. He handles it for a second, then starts screaming (ironically), "I can't talk!! I can't talk!!" We've tried cloth, disposal, patterned, etc. It just don't work. I really think it's crazy to expect diaper aged kids to wear masks. We've been on small road trip vacations and still visit attractions in our hometown, and everywhere else we've been does not require 2 year olds to wear masks.

We unfortunately canceled our August trip because our 2.5 year old flat out won't wear a mask no matter what we do. He handles it for a second, then starts screaming (ironically), "I can't talk!! I can't talk!!" We've tried cloth, disposal, patterned, etc. It just don't work. I really think it's crazy to expect diaper aged kids to wear masks. We've been on small road trip vacations and still visit attractions in our hometown, and everywhere else we've been does not require 2 year olds to wear masks.
I agree. I think it’s absolutely ridiculous.

For now I have a 1 year old, but I am sure she will be a stubborn one and if this rule is still around in a few months, I will start freaking out about our April trip. Pretty sure the advice to let her pick a character one would just lead to her ripping it off so she could hold it in her hand and see the character print.

There is absolutely no way I would take a 2 yr old to the parks under the current rules. I mean....why?? Expecting a 2 yr old to keep a mask on all the time is asking for a horrible trip.

I agree I know people want to get back to normal but it's not worth it to make the kids suffer and the only time your spending is worrying about putting on a mask.

There's no way I'd visit the parks with these mandates in place, and especially not with our two year old daughter cause I know she absolutely wouldn't keep her mask on.

However, what sucks is that Disney has implemented these mandates across all their company entities in every state. For example, our local Disney Outlet store won't let us come in to shop with our two year old unless she wears a mask the entire time inside the store. In our state of Ohio, our state mandate is that anyone 10 years old and older has to wear a mask. It bugs me that Disney decides to go above and beyond our state mandates.

We've had to make the hard decision to not return to the outlet store until the either lift the mandate or match our state's current one. It's frustrating really.

I agree. I think it’s absolutely ridiculous.

It is unrealistic to expect most 2 year olds to keep a mask on for long periods of time. However, even a 2 year old could be asymptomatic and spread covid. Disney's first responsibility is the safety of their cast members. Which is how it should be.

A trip to WDW or DL or the Disney Store is not a necessity (though inner me would argue that, lol) and the only other option besides wearing a mask is to stay home.

Interesting that Universal does not require 2-year olds to wear masks. That would be another option for those with 2-year old reluctant mask-wearers.

I will be going in just a few weeks and my daughter will just have turned 3. She is trouble in general so masks are no exception. ;-) I plan on practicing in the house since we stay home most of the time and do curbside pickups etc. She has not been anywhere but the dentist and they did not require a mask since she is technically still 2. Unless major changes happen between now and then, I just need to work on the mask wearing and my biggest concern is the airline. I know they are strict and I understand it. Maybe some electical tape around the back of the head to keep it on???😂😂 (JUST KIDDING FOR ANYONE WHO IS SERIOUS)

It is unrealistic to expect most 2 year olds to keep a mask on for long periods of time. However, even a 2 year old could be asymptomatic and spread covid. Disney's first responsibility is the safety of their cast members. Which is how it should be.

A trip to WDW or DL or the Disney Store is not a necessity (though inner me would argue that, lol) and the only other option besides wearing a mask is to stay home.
A 23.5 month old could be asymptomatic too.

Interesting that Universal does not require 2-year olds to wear masks. That would be another option for those with 2-year old reluctant mask-wearers.
Great info. I didn't realize that. At Legoland, mandatory mask-wearing starts at age 8. We already have 2 days of Disney tickets that now expire in September 2021, but Universal seems like a good option. Also hoping a Disney water park opens in the spring since masks can't really be worn around pools.

I haven't been prioritizing mask lessons, with so much other stuff 1-2 year old need to learn. Besides, even the World Health Organization says in bold on their website that children 5 and under should not be required to wear masks. Yes, it is safer for the community if kids ages 2 to 5 wear them, but how about the safety of the kids themselves? Maybe mask hygiene doesn't really matter after all, but even for kids that can keep them on, I see many (like my 4 year old) touching all over the front of the masks. I have heard some stories of preschoolers that do well with masks, but this is not the case for my kids.

For now, for me, it is a lot easier to keep the kids home, though I worry about them missing out on stuff. We are hopefully going camping in Florida later this month and trying 1 day at Ft. Wilderness. I know my 4 year old will be disappointed if we are that close to the Magic Kingdom but don't go to the park, but I just don't know if he can handle enough mask-wearing to make using park tickets worthwhile. Hoping the rules will be loosened, at least in regards to 5 and unders or outdoor space, by our April trip.

As for suggestions, my only real suggestions are either cancel or do a resort-only stay. You could go to Universal or Legoland with more lenient 2 year old rules, or have a lot of fun on Disney property if your child can handle small increments of mask-wearing but not enough to merit using a park ticket. Disney Springs has a lot to do, and even a couple of rides like the carousel and a little train. At that age, my oldest was content just riding the monorail. Now the Skyliner is an option too. If your child likes characters and is ok with not being able to go up and hug them, Disney has socially distant character breakfasts at the Riviera.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter