Is Aulani a bad Bet for Sleep Around Points?

ForWhomTheMouseTolls

Mouseketeer
Hey all,

Looking for a good deal on sleep around points. Aulani seems like a tremendous deal given the fact that it’s both cheap and has a ton of years left. Outside having zero Floridian options at 11 months, what‘s wrong with this idea?

Hey all,

Looking for a good deal on sleep around points. Aulani seems like a tremendous deal given the fact that it’s both cheap and has a ton of years left. Outside having zero Floridian options at 11 months, what‘s wrong with this idea?
Generally when you are looking for SAP you want low cost however Aulani dues are quite high which makes it not be a good value for that purpose.

Agree with JETSDAD. There are typically better options - SSR is one. Now, if you plan on visiting Aulani every so often and want that 11 month window, that's when it becomes viable.

Not to use at WDW right now. Given the closure, things are going to be different for booking and you would be locked out until 7 months.

We have no idea how that will be in the next few years. You may have to change rooms and resorts a lot.

I’ve been pondering an Aulani contract, too, but my intention for the points may be a little different. I want a loaded contract to use for an Aulani trip. After that, sometimes I’d use two years of points for Aulani and other times use for SAP at WDW. I can be more flexible with a WDW trip, but still struggle with whether or not I should target Aulani for my contract.

If you want to use the SAP at WDW, it works better to buy a WDW resort. At least you can book right at 11 months out and try to change it at seven months out. With Aulani, you aren't anywhere near to WDW.

Aulani also has pretty steep maintenanace fees and i suspect will continue to grow faster then wdw resorts.

If its not a subsidized contract normally its more expensive than i.e. SSR on the long run, due to the high MFs, as mentioned. But maybe (if you find one) now Disney is not executing ROFR of those subsidized contracts. I think the low MFs transfer with the ownership, but you should check that (if you find one ;))

If its not a subsidized contract normally its more expensive than i.e. SSR on the long run, due to the high MFs, as mentioned. But maybe (if you find one) now Disney is not executing ROFR of those subsidized contracts. I think the low MFs transfer with the ownership, but you should check that (if you find one ;))
I have been searching for a subsidized contract since I was there last August. They are not easy to find.

The sub contracts, typically the seller prices that in and weren’t willing to budge much on price making your break even 5-10 years vs a regular, but if you have more cash upfront and have the keep forever outlook, it still maybe worth it to you.

I saw for the first time an AUL contract break under $80, it went for $75!!! I was jeoulous.

there is always a good article that gets updated from time to time on the most economical dvc purchase. AUL sub would make it #1 by far. SSR has been at the top for many years but if the dues slow back down it will reclaim the top spot imo

I guess it also depends on your interpretation of state timeshare regulation and where it is going in 50 years.

I can tell you I wouldn't be buying outside of Florida.

If you want to stay at Aulani, then purchase it. If your goal is to stay at WDW, I would purchase something at WDW.
Depending on the time of year you plan to travel, getting a non home resort at 7 months can be challenging.
Nobody knows what the future looks like, but I doubt booking at 7 months will become easier.
As mentioned maintenence fees at Aulani are high and over time that more than makes up what you saved upfront.

I own Aulani and use them at both Aulani and WDW. We stay in 1beds mostly and have never had an issue at 7 months somewhere. We've stayed at all resorts at WDW & CA save RIV. I love all the resorts and wouldn't mind OKW or SSR(post refurb) whatsoever. BUT, if you are looking for a studio, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Aulani also has a huge points chart but having the owners window is the only way to get the cheapest rooms/views. I've booked hotel rooms for friends as gifts a few times with no problem. We also go to Aulani at Xmas and you need the window there also. So there are reasons to buy Aulani. If you really don't intend to stay there, use the cheaper price to buy as many points as you can so that you have options when trading into WDW.

And don't forget the airfare to Hawaii is no joke and its going to go way up!! For next April, its showing 2k per person from Seattle (one of the closest cities). More than I've ever spent even at Xmas.

I've been wondering if Poly makes sense as SAP points given the low dues and contract length.

If studios are what you normally stay in, then it might be. But if you can't get what you want elsewhere, what would you do?

If studios are what you normally stay in, then it might be. But if you can't get what you want elsewhere, what would you do?
That is a good point. We are really happy to stay in studios right now, but we have never stayed in a 1 BR, so maybe we just don’t know what we are missing out on. It sounds like enough points at the Poly to trade into a 1 BR during non FF might be workable, but if we ever decided we needed 2 BR then that strategy would not work anymore.

That is a good point. We are really happy to stay in studios right now, but we have never stayed in a 1 BR, so maybe we just don’t know what we are missing out on. It sounds like enough points at the Poly to trade into a 1 BR during non FF might be workable, but if we ever decided we needed 2 BR then that strategy would not work anymore.

Oh, once you go in a 1 bedroom, studios won't be a thing if you have more than 2!!! LOL

Just have to weigh the pros/cons of the resorts....I mean, two studios will give you the same sleeping areas of a 2 bedroom, but if you are flexible for resorts, SSR and OKW almost always have 2 bedroom availability most of the year!!!

I've been wondering if Poly makes sense as SAP points given the low dues and contract length.

Yes, I think it's a good argument, currently "most economical" at that other site. I'm on a site where owners can rent points privately and (pre-corona) always tons of Poly rental demand. Plus, maybe easier to sell in a couple decades.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter