Is Aulani a bad Bet for Sleep Around Points?

We just bought an Aulani contract to add to our multiple Copper Creek contracts. We do plan on staying there once a year, and live in Los Angeles, so the airfare is really no different than flying to Orlando.

That said, there do appear to be a range of studio availabilities at the seven month window, especially in the cheaper booking periods. We did consider SS as well, but decided against it for several reasons. First, we do occasionally want to take advantage of the 11 month window, but that wasn't the main reason.

For us, there were a few other arguments against SS. (1) We like Aulani's later point expiration year. (2) Aulani is never ROFRed, unlike Saratoga Springs. Though not recently, SS is one of the more frequently ROFRed resorts. The resale market takes forever anyway, and we didn't like the thought of initiating the process and then possibly having to start it all again several weeks later. (3) This one is psychological. We didn't like the idea of spending thousands and thousands of dollars on a resort we didn't really like, even if we rarely planned on staying there. If I'm going to own a contract for many years, I'd rather own at a beautiful resort where I want to stay. (4) One key reason to buy is the 11 month window. Its pretty much meaningless at SS, which has year round availability. Its also worthless if you never want to stay there. Aulani has great seven month availability, but for Christmas and such the 11 month window, especially for studios, means something. (5) True, Aulani's dues are higher. But a few hundred extra dollars isn't that bad.

The sub contracts, typically the seller prices that in and weren’t willing to budge much on price making your break even 5-10 years vs a regular, but if you have more cash upfront and have the keep forever outlook, it still maybe worth it to you.

I saw for the first time an AUL contract break under $80, it went for $75!!! I was jeoulous.

there is always a good article that gets updated from time to time on the most economical dvc purchase. AUL sub would make it #1 by far. SSR has been at the top for many years but if the dues slow back down it will reclaim the top spot imo
Occasionally I read on these boards about some contract or another that sells for a price monumentally less than anything I see on the resale sights. I look at Aulani prices and even at higher price points they don’t seem like bad buys, if you can tolerate the higher maintenance fees and actually plan on going there. Most are virtually half the cost of buying direct. But it doesn’t look to me like any of the legitimate resale sites are selling contracts at fire sale prices, especially those in the 100-200 point range. And it doesn’t seem to me like there are that many DVC owners willing to take such a huge loss.

The lowest AUL I've seen is $75, solid deals in the $80s, but most were <--WERE in the $90s. I think $80s is the new normal and if more owners willing to take that big loss, you'll see it drop to the $70s, but since it has longer until expiration, it will stay above HH and Vero for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts