Is butterbeer considered a snack or drink on dining plan?

chimoe

Mouseketeer
We are considering buying the quick service dining plan.

Is the Butter beer considered a drink if we order with entree?

Example at the 3 broomsticks. We get 1 entree and 1 drink. Can it be the butterbeer?

Or does it count as a snack credit?

If it’s a snack than the value of the dining plan wont’ look to good.

Butterbeer is not included as the drink that comes with a meal. Butterbeer is considered a snack, which I still consider a good deal considering it's $7 + tax for one.

Like your example, we opted to purchase the quick service dining plan while we were cashing out at Three Broomsticks. DH and I were each ordering an entrée, a soda, and a butterbeer. The TM recommended the quick service plan, which cost us slightly less than what we were ordering, and gave us an extra drink credit to use another time before the end of our trip. Its best to consider it on a case by case basis and buy it when it makes sense.

If you believe you're going to spend over $23.99 + tax you might as well get it. Considering it doesn't take a lot to get a meal alone that's around $15, not including a drink. It doesn't take much to get to $23.99, or more.

Essentially if you plan on just getting a meal and soft drink, no, it's not a good deal, however if you plan on getting even just a drink later, or a snack (especially if it's Butterbeer), it is.

Trying to figure out how to max the value of the DP.

here would be an example:
3 Broomsticks

Shepards Pie - $14.50
Drink - Pumpkin Juice $4.99 (hoping Pumpkin juice counts as a beverage)

Snack - Butterbeer $6.99

Total = 26.48
Cost of dining $23.99

Savings $2.49

I guess dining plan doesn't really offer huge savings. My sister has an AP and gets her 10% off, so that seems to be a better deal than the Dining plan.

Interested to see how others have been able to max out on the DP.

I"m a big follower of the dining plan, purely for the pre-paid nature of it. You won't find many people who are big proponents of it. You're not going to save much more than a couple of bucks. I like the idea of pre-paying for food, but we won't commit to more than one plan for the entirety of our trip (5 days) so I can maximize when we use it.

Another thing to think about is the value of the food and not just the money. For example, you can get one of the meals at Mel's Diner, which includes a milkshake, and on top of that you can technically get a soft drink since the milkshake is included in the meal. A bacon cheese burger combo is $16.49.

Another thing to think about is the value of the food and not just the money. For example, you can get one of the meals at Mel's Diner, which includes a milkshake, and on top of that you can technically get a soft drink since the milkshake is included in the meal. A bacon cheese burger combo is $16.49.
Or save the 2 drinks and snack for later. How are the burgers at Mel’s?

Or save the 2 drinks and snack for later. How are the burgers at Mel’s?

It comes with it. Everything is included. The shake comes with a meal automatically (regardless of having the dining plan, or not) and a soft drink is always automatically included with the meal portion of the dining plan as well. Unless I guess you can find a way to have the soft drink saved for another time during the day?

As for the burgers at Mel's I recommend getting there when they first open (10:30). I've gotten burgers around the time they open and they're hot and fresh and times when I've gone later in the day it's kind of meh.

Last edited:
It comes with it. Everything is included. The shake comes with a meal automatically (regardless of having the dining plan, or not) and a soft drink is always automatically included with the meal portion of the dining plan as well. Unless I guess you can find a way to have the soft drink saved for another time during the day?

As for the burgers at Mel's I recommend getting there when they first open (10:30). I've gotten burgers around the time they open and they're hot and fresh and times when I've gone later in the day it's kind of meh.
I’m new to dining plan, I thought you could save drink for later. I think I’ll try it once or twice, for the expensive meals. Still have to do the math to figure out which is cheaper, the 10% off AP discount or DP.

I’m new to dining plan, I thought you could save drink for later. I think I’ll try it once or twice, for the expensive meals. Still have to do the math to figure out which is cheaper, the 10% off AP discount or DP.

I used it back in the way back machine when I was a teenager once, but as long as I had AP I never used it, however that's because I have a tendency to either have just a snack and drink, or eat at a full service place before I leave. So, for me, it makes no sense to get the dining plan. Also, due to work I tend to do more like half days (either show up first thing in the morning and leave by early afternoon, or arrive in the afternoon and stay until night) regardless of whether I have US/IOA AP, or Disney AP.

Unless I guess you can find a way to have the soft drink saved for another time during the day?

Or use it for a bottle of water to save for later. Sadly I suspect they won't let me use it for Gilly Water in the HP lands and I'm going to have to hide from my husband how much I spent on a bottle of water just because the label is cool and I'm a design geek.

Yeah, Gillywater is pricey. The allure definitely is the name, labeling, and the fact that you can put different colors/flavors in it.

I know, it's literally a bottle of water. but the label… for a Type/Design geek it's like fine, here's alllllll my cash.

It is definitely a beauty, but I didn't buy it. I even thought about buying a few pumpkin juices to bring home, but never did. Maybe one day when I come back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!