• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is California Grill worth 2 TS???

Booknut

<font color=green>I couldn't figure out why people
Hi, i'm wondering if California Grill is worth 2 TS? I am only saying this as i've heard such nice reviews about Le Cellier (which we're booked to go to twice!) and other restaurants and am wondering if its worth giving up one dinner to do it. Also, DH wants a relaxing atmosphere, is California Grill very 'stuffy'?

If we didn't do California Grill we would swap it for Kona at the Poly and Hollywood & Vine at MGM.

Would love your opinions!

Thanks

I loved California grill- way better than LeCellier! It was worth 2 credits. We went and were there for fireworks!

The California Grill has excellent food! However, make sure that you get a table away from the grill/kitchen area. The first time we went it was in dinning room to the right of the entrance. The atmosphere was relaxing and the view was beautiful, a very special experience, and well worth 2 TS meals. We were even able to see the fireworks at the MK.

The next time we were right in front of the grill. The noise was awful! When you consider the cost and our last experience it was very disappointing. It's worth the wait for that dinning area.

Kona Cafe is a very nice resturant but not at the level the CG is. Hollywood and Vine is a buffet. The food is ok but the last time we ate there we had a less than pleasant experience. This includes things that you really don't want to hear :crazy: . My DS in-law will not go back :rolleyes1 . Book the CG!

It can be difficult estimating the value of the TS credits. As a rough estimate, I'd say you need to "spend" about $25 per credit for it to be worthwhile; otherwise, OOP may be the way to go.

I agree with the above post.. take a look at the menu and price out what you might eat to see if it's worth it for you. Some people find they would only eat the flat breads ($9/each) well.. if you get each get a flat bread.. and a salad ($9-11) it isn't worth the 2-4 credits because the total bill would have been around $30-40. But if you get an appetixer ($11), steak ($35) and dessert ($10) that's roughly $55 worth of food.

Also, the menu changes frequently, because they only use what is fresh and in season... however the Hearts of Romain salad, Goat Cheese Ravioli, the Free Range Chicken, Oak Fired Filet, and (I think!) Grilled Pork Tenderloin are always on the menu.

February 2006 Menu
http://allearsnet.com/menu/menu_cg.htm

Last year - May's 2005 menu:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningmain.cfm

--heather

We dined at CG last Sept. on my mom's birthday. The food was very good. However, even though I told them it was her birthday when I made the ressie, the only thing special they did was give her a dessert with Happy Birthday written on it. Since we were on the Dining Plan, dessert was included. I did notice that when the staff set up the table next to us they sprinkled mickey confetti all over it and it didn't seem like the 2 couples there were celebrating anything special. I was VERY disappointed that nothing more special was done. Maybe the server is responsible for the "special touches" Our server was just okay-seemed to just "phone in" his performance. LOL

That being said, would I go again-YES (Especially on the dining plan). If only for the view from the deck of the fireworks (though the bugs were very annoying). We couldn't see out the windows of the restaurant, however, as the condensation caused them to be obscure-it had rained earlier in the day. If I ever go there again for a special occasion I will make sure to call the same day and see what they will be doing for us.

We had plenty to eat-my appetizer of the sushi caterpillar was a meal itself.

When we checked in downstairs (where I also mentioned my mom's bday again) the yfirst told us no window seating was available. When the couple who checked in next to us, requested, and received, a window table, I asked the hostess to check again-and magically- a window table was now available (sometimes I think couples get preferential treatment over 2 women diners-Just my opinion)

When I did the math, I figured I'd be better of paying OOP for the signature restaurant meal, rather than using 2 TS there and paying OOP for two 1TS meals. YMMV.

Regardless, California Grill is truly a superior experience to Le Cellier. If you're choosing just between those two, and either food quality or atmosphere is your criterion for deciding, choose California Grill.

I think CG is my favourite restaurant at WDW (of course I have not dined everywhere there, so maybe I should qualify it with a 'so far'). I think it is well worth 2TS. The combination of the wonderfully prepared food with the freshest ingredients, great service, nice wine list and spectacular view is very hard to beat. My family went there for my birthday in 2004. CG was booked for seatings during the fireworks when we called to reserve (at that time it was PS, but you know what I mean). The CM suggested that we have an early dinner, then come back for a later seating for dessert, and informed us that if we arrived early for our seating we could go up and watch the fireworks from the deck. (I am not certain if they would still do this.) So we left after dinner, walked over to MK, took the train around the park - got off just in time to see some of the parade, then we zoomed back to CG in time to see the fireworks on the deck. Right after that we had our desserts (sitting at the counter by the kitchen - we actually enjoyed this seating, got to see how everything was put together and talked with the chef who made our desserts). My dessert had the "Happy Birthday" chocolate message on it. I thought it was wonderful - I wouldn't want to change a moment of that evening. Disneydaz, I'm just curious, what was it you were expecting that you did not get for your mother's birthday?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter