Is concierge worth the extra $?

That’s good if you don’t need the money. One person was complaining on FB they lost their job and needed the cash. I think it would be a good temporary change for them to implement now during the Covid crisis ( refundable or lowered deposit) . There are many industries where job security is nonexistent anymore and many layoffs . Though DXL taking away that policy would be very hard to put back in place in a few years. Plus I think Disney knows there’s always a demographic that just simply have excess cash / money and are willing to spend. Thank God there are folks like that who are keeping the economy afloat with their spending right now.

I agree that DCL could use a bit more leniency on concierge deposits. But I wanted people to know that even though its non-refundable it doesn't mean you lose out of your deposit 100%.
Compared to other entities of Disney.

DCL is more lenient in getting your money deposit back. I would never recommend Adventures by Disney. They are the worst in terms of getting your deposit back. You have 14 days from booking to get it back. Even when they had a couple of months of free fully refundable deposits I wouldn't have booked with them either because they only did that promotion when covid was announced as a pandemic. Even though this pandemic is far from over they went back to their old ways. Stay clear from them.

For me, it would depend on how port intensive your cruise is. If you’re off the ship a lot than it wouldn’t be worth it to me. But if you have several sea days, then I can see myself opting for it.

We cruised Concierge 1 BR last Nov. NYC - San Juan. We cruised with extended family and were able to upgrade our verandahs to Concierge for a great deal. We LOVED the extra space (I'd never book the Concierge "regular" Verandah). The lunch on embarkation day was so nice and relaxing. We loved that they took the divider down between our rooms so we had one huge balcony. We loved going to the lounge for extra coffee/snacks and just to relax. We loved the private character meeting. We had a vegan with us and everyone was amazing! He always had plenty of specially prepared food. No CC so no cabana and we really didn't need much from any of the lounge/stateside team.

We are cruising in August 2021 and again upgraded to Concierge (it was NOT a deal) but going again with extended family and the extra space will be important with an extra infant. We'll request a cabana this time. Unfortunately, I did not know that there was no discount using a placeholder. So that was disappointing. And now, of course, not knowing how cruising is going to be in August, I'm super nervous about a non-refundable deposit. Really hoping that it all works out. As much as we loved our concierge experience, we'd have no problem cruising non-concierge. And I really wish that DCL offered some things that other lines do to up the experience - such as private pool, private dining, reserved seats in the theater.

Oh my goodness... yes. ... that deposit for Concierge! We placed a deposit on a Concierge transatlantic years ago that ended up not working with our work schedules, and you CANT get that deposit back ... so we bumped the deposit to a Christmas cruise... then bumped it to a Northern European cruise-oops COVID... then bumped it to a Bahamas quickie... then bumped to another.... you get the idea- no refund but you can keep bumping :)

I did not know that! That's so great to know. Now we'll just have to make the decision before final payment - so...April 25th for us. Really hope we have a good feel how cruising will be by then. Oh....I feel so much better knowing we can just move it!

We cruised Concierge 1 BR last Nov. NYC - San Juan. We cruised with extended family and were able to upgrade our verandahs to Concierge for a great deal. We LOVED the extra space (I'd never book the Concierge "regular" Verandah). The lunch on embarkation day was so nice and relaxing. We loved that they took the divider down between our rooms so we had one huge balcony. We loved going to the lounge for extra coffee/snacks and just to relax. We loved the private character meeting. We had a vegan with us and everyone was amazing! He always had plenty of specially prepared food. No CC so no cabana and we really didn't need much from any of the lounge/stateside team.

We are cruising in August 2021 and again upgraded to Concierge (it was NOT a deal) but going again with extended family and the extra space will be important with an extra infant. We'll request a cabana this time. Unfortunately, I did not know that there was no discount using a placeholder. So that was disappointing. And now, of course, not knowing how cruising is going to be in August, I'm super nervous about a non-refundable deposit. Really hoping that it all works out. As much as we loved our concierge experience, we'd have no problem cruising non-concierge. And I really wish that DCL offered some things that other lines do to up the experience - such as private pool, private dining, reserved seats in the theater.
I am with you. If I ever get the option, I would go for 1/2 bedroom or royal suite and not the regular. I am willing to pay for extra space. The other things are nice, but large rooms feel less closed in, less cluttered, that would be my biggest selling point. But it has to be for a good price. Even if I had all the money in the world, I would find it hard to justify some of the prices they ask. Like $50.000 for a 10 night European cruise, for that money I can do a deluxe land tour for a month. If not longer ;-)

I am with you. If I ever get the option, I would go for 1/2 bedroom or royal suite and not the regular. I am willing to pay for extra space. The other things are nice, but large rooms feel less closed in, less cluttered, that would be my biggest selling point. But it has to be for a good price. Even if I had all the money in the world, I would find it hard to justify some of the prices they ask. Like $50.000 for a 10 night European cruise, for that money I can do a deluxe land tour for a month. If not longer ;-)

100% with you. There is definitely a limit for me.

There has been a lot of amazing information about the experience provided in this thread, but I don’t think anyone has mentioned the disembarkation day walk-off service that you get with Concierge. They have a special key to lock off an elevator just for Concierge guests and walk you past the gigantic lines that go from the exit gangway all the way around past the theatre and then the other side. They take you straight to the person with the giant Mickey glove beside the person who scans your key card as you get off the ship. It’s one of the best perks of Concierge in my opinion.

Being up and ready to go at 7:30 sounds like a NIGHTMARE!! I'd milk being on the ship as long as possible. Disembarkation day is the WORST.

I think it's a really personal decision. We have not cruised concierge and generally book verandah rooms and cruise the caribbean. I think in a lot of cases the extra perks do not add up to enough value. But we are planning a big anniversary trip in 2022 to Alaska and we were considering concierge so that we would have access to the concierge lounge for great viewing opportunities and also to be able to book excursions first, particularly the one on glacier day. We estimated that we can basically do a 1 week cruise concierge or a 2 week vacation to Seattle, then Alaska cruise (verandah), then LA to Disneyland.

For me, the value is in the longer trip and what I'd be giving up by not having concierge is minimal. But other people may feel very differently. We also have two young kids and nothing with them is relaxing, lol. So a leisurely embarkation lunch and lots of time in the concierge lounge are probably not in the cards for us for a while yet. I would probably appreciate the quicker/smoother boarding, but it's not worth the concierge price to me.

I am still trying to decide if I should keep concierge or just go to veranda room.

My major factor to upgrade is that I’ll be traveling with my elderly mom, so having the extra attention and easier embarkation and debarkation appeal greatly. The difference in price is difficult.

We are thinking we will need to spend at least one night beforehand in Orlando. I was thinking of staying on property at WDW. So if we used their transportation, that would essentially nix any advantage for embarkation if what I am reading is true since the buses usually arrive after crowds have died down.

The worst things when traveling with my mom are being in crowds of people. People can be so rude. Mom is not speedy, and impatient people will practically knock her over. It’s probably going to be our last big trip together, so I want it to be special.

But I do not want to go into a lot of debt which could happen with concierge. Ugh. It is so tough for me. I would just give anything to my mom. She is the best! I think she deserves to be pampered and spoiled.

I am just wondering if we’d be better off spending money in the spa instead. I have only sailed once before on DCL so I’m only silver, and we will be on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise January 2022.

I have no idea if excursions will be difficult to book if we don’t do concierge.

I think we can survive without a cabana on Castaway Cay since neither of us are huge beach people.

When I went before, it was out of Miami. Getting onboard was a zoo with so many people just waiting around. Getting off seemed easier since we just ate breakfast and left as we had booked a transfer to airport and put our luggage through to the airport. Is Port Canaveral better/worse than Miami?

It’s just so hard to decide without knowing all the details, and since Mom needs a HA room, we can’t wait forever to change since most of the rooms are booked.

Any insight is appreciated. The price is about 57% higher which seems like a lot to me since we are in 3A and not the one-bedroom suite.

I am still trying to decide if I should keep concierge or just go to veranda room.
You do bring up some very specific points in determining if concierge is the way to go.
  • Yes, PC is very large but a lot of people are going on the ship. I believe only the Magic ports in Miami? At PC you will have the Dream class ships and a much greater passenger load if you are on the Fantasy for the 2022 cruise. If you will be on the Wonder, the passenger load will be closer to what you are used to when dealing with crowds.
  • If getting on and off via concierge with your mother is important, take private transportation from WDW to PC and stay off the bus, which may be packed with people in a confined space for over an hour.
  • Going into debt is never a good option.
  • Spa days are fun, expensive but fun.

You do bring up some very specific points in determining if concierge is the way to go.
  • Yes, PC is very large but a lot of people are going on the ship. I believe only the Magic ports in Miami? At PC you will have the Dream class ships and a much greater passenger load if you are on the Fantasy for the 2022 cruise. If you will be on the Wonder, the passenger load will be closer to what you are used to when dealing with crowds.
  • If getting on and off via concierge with your mother is important, take private transportation from WDW to PC and stay off the bus, which may be packed with people in a confined space for over an hour.
  • Going into debt is never a good option.
  • Spa days are fun, expensive but fun.
Nobody really knows if embarkation at PC will be the same post-Covid. There has been talk of enforcing staggered arrival times to reduce crowding in the terminal. In any case, even if things are “back to normal” in Jan 2022 your are correct that taking Disney resort transportation will get you there later after the big crowds so it may not matter.

Now once you are on the ship, concierge does have a special sit down lunch, but you can always opt for the regular sit down lunch instead of Cabanas to avoid crowds. The concierge lounge and sun deck may also give you a less crowded spot to hang out than the main pool deck, but in our experience satellite falls is never too crowded if you just want a quiet sun deck spot, and indoors we’ve never seen crowds at the little deck 4 atrium coffee shop.

As for disembarkation, a crowd/line does form in the atrium and in the customs area, but if you are not in a rush, you can find a spot to sit and leave after the initial crowds clear.

A spa day is nice but treatments are pricey. That said, you can get a rainforest room day pass for about $35 per person (ie steam room, sauna, hot tubs, rainforest showers) so there is a cheap-ish spa option whether or not you do concierge.

We have never cruised concierge. We had wanted to do so this past summer as we had a milestone anniversary but that was an off-season 3-night cruise and we had future cruise credit from a cancelled trip that offset the cost. When that got cancelled too, and we had to rebook to a pricier time of year, we switched back to “regular” verandah. Concierge is an extravagance and I am perfectly happy with the regular disney cruise experience. I would like to do it someday just to feel pampered but would likely do so on a shorter cruise, or else try for a discounted upgrade at checkin on embarkation day.

My major factor to upgrade is that I’ll be traveling with my elderly mom, so having the extra attention and easier embarkation and debarkation appeal greatly. The difference in price is difficult.

We are thinking we will need to spend at least one night beforehand in Orlando. I was thinking of staying on property at WDW. So if we used their transportation, that would essentially nix any advantage for embarkation if what I am reading is true since the buses usually arrive after crowds have died down.

The worst things when traveling with my mom are being in crowds of people. People can be so rude. Mom is not speedy, and impatient people will practically knock her over. It’s probably going to be our last big trip together, so I want it to be special.

But I do not want to go into a lot of debt which could happen with concierge. Ugh. It is so tough for me. I would just give anything to my mom. She is the best! I think she deserves to be pampered and spoiled.

I am just wondering if we’d be better off spending money in the spa instead. I have only sailed once before on DCL so I’m only silver, and we will be on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise January 2022.

I have no idea if excursions will be difficult to book if we don’t do concierge.

I think we can survive without a cabana on Castaway Cay since neither of us are huge beach people.

When I went before, it was out of Miami. Getting onboard was a zoo with so many people just waiting around. Getting off seemed easier since we just ate breakfast and left as we had booked a transfer to airport and put our luggage through to the airport. Is Port Canaveral better/worse than Miami?

It’s just so hard to decide without knowing all the details, and since Mom needs a HA room, we can’t wait forever to change since most of the rooms are booked.

Any insight is appreciated. The price is about 57% higher which seems like a lot to me since we are in 3A and not the one-bedroom suite.

If you don't go with concierge then arriving later is a plus - you will not have to deal with the crowd of people angling to be one of the first onboard. When your number is called there will be a rush, and people will go past you if you are slow. If you get there later then it is much calmer, though there may still be a line to have your picture taken before you board. I agree with the PP about using a private car if you go with concierge OR if you stay at the Hyatt at the airport instead of at WDW, then you will be able to be on one of the first buses to arrive from there if you go down early to get your spot.

I agree disembarking is a little easier. Unless you need to get off ASAP to make a flight, there is no rush like getting on the ship. People walk a little slower on the gangway and you can use a porter once you're off (for a tip/fee) for handling luggage and to get through customs, regardless of having been concierge or not. Any benefit ends as you exit the ship itself.

A good way to decide might be on what makes your Mom feel pampered. Is she big on spas and might prefer that? Do you think she would get a kick from long conversations with the concierge staff? Does she LIKE being doted on, or does she prefer to not have people make a fuss over her? Your stateroom host will happily chat with you a bit in the hall when they see you, and are there to help you with any problems you run into with the room (or get maintenance). The dining room staff are the same - they will chat with you at the end of dinner, and the head server will be by to check on you and assist where they can. The concierge staff is there to go above and beyond the "normal" staff, but I have never felt ignored in steerage. The decor in cat 3A is essentially the same as a verandah room, just different colors, more wood, a little fancier looking couch.

I do think it sounds like she would enjoy having the lounge honestly, since you mentioned crowds and impatient people make her uncomfortable. I've only done concierge on the Wonder, but there is an espresso machine that is open to use if she likes coffee, and they have a little bar set up at night if she drinks (tip the bartender, please!). No one jostles each other in there. I liked getting breakfast there instead of cabanas or having room service, and there were always open tables, chairs, and a friendly hello from the hosts when we entered (if they weren't chatting with other concierge guests). I don't *think* this will be different on the larger ships...?

Concierge or not though crowds WILL be a factor outside of the lounge, so it only will save you some headaches, not all. You'll be guaranteed your own table at dinner if you want that (which may be true for everyone when they sail again, we don't know for certain but it seems likely on paper).

Nobody really knows if embarkation at PC will be the same post-Covid. There has been talk of enforcing staggered arrival times to reduce crowding in the terminal. In any case, even if things are “back to normal” in Jan 2022 your are correct that taking Disney resort transportation will get you there later after the big crowds so it may not matter.

Now once you are on the ship, concierge does have a special sit down lunch, but you can always opt for the regular sit down lunch instead of Cabanas to avoid crowds. The concierge lounge and sun deck may also give you a less crowded spot to hang out than the main pool deck, but in our experience satellite falls is never too crowded if you just want a quiet sun deck spot, and indoors we’ve never seen crowds at the little deck 4 atrium coffee shop.

As for disembarkation, a crowd/line does form in the atrium and in the customs area, but if you are not in a rush, you can find a spot to sit and leave after the initial crowds clear.

A spa day is nice but treatments are pricey. That said, you can get a rainforest room day pass for about $35 per person (ie steam room, sauna, hot tubs, rainforest showers) so there is a cheap-ish spa option whether or not you do concierge.

We have never cruised concierge. We had wanted to do so this past summer as we had a milestone anniversary but that was an off-season 3-night cruise and we had future cruise credit from a cancelled trip that offset the cost. When that got cancelled too, and we had to rebook to a pricier time of year, we switched back to “regular” verandah. Concierge is an extravagance and I am perfectly happy with the regular disney cruise experience. I would like to do it someday just to feel pampered but would likely do so on a shorter cruise, or else try for a discounted upgrade at checkin on embarkation day.
If you don't go with concierge then arriving later is a plus - you will not have to deal with the crowd of people angling to be one of the first onboard. When your number is called there will be a rush, and people will go past you if you are slow. If you get there later then it is much calmer, though there may still be a line to have your picture taken before you board. I agree with the PP about using a private car if you go with concierge OR if you stay at the Hyatt at the airport instead of at WDW, then you will be able to be on one of the first buses to arrive from there if you go down early to get your spot.

I agree disembarking is a little easier. Unless you need to get off ASAP to make a flight, there is no rush like getting on the ship. People walk a little slower on the gangway and you can use a porter once you're off (for a tip/fee) for handling luggage and to get through customs, regardless of having been concierge or not. Any benefit ends as you exit the ship itself.

A good way to decide might be on what makes your Mom feel pampered. Is she big on spas and might prefer that? Do you think she would get a kick from long conversations with the concierge staff? Does she LIKE being doted on, or does she prefer to not have people make a fuss over her? Your stateroom host will happily chat with you a bit in the hall when they see you, and are there to help you with any problems you run into with the room (or get maintenance). The dining room staff are the same - they will chat with you at the end of dinner, and the head server will be by to check on you and assist where they can. The concierge staff is there to go above and beyond the "normal" staff, but I have never felt ignored in steerage. The decor in cat 3A is essentially the same as a verandah room, just different colors, more wood, a little fancier looking couch.

I do think it sounds like she would enjoy having the lounge honestly, since you mentioned crowds and impatient people make her uncomfortable. I've only done concierge on the Wonder, but there is an espresso machine that is open to use if she likes coffee, and they have a little bar set up at night if she drinks (tip the bartender, please!). No one jostles each other in there. I liked getting breakfast there instead of cabanas or having room service, and there were always open tables, chairs, and a friendly hello from the hosts when we entered (if they weren't chatting with other concierge guests). I don't *think* this will be different on the larger ships...?

Concierge or not though crowds WILL be a factor outside of the lounge, so it only will save you some headaches, not all. You'll be guaranteed your own table at dinner if you want that (which may be true for everyone when they sail again, we don't know for certain but it seems likely on paper).

Thanks so much to both of you for your detailed and thoughtful replies.

Mom does love to be pampered, and I love it when other people dote on her. Concierge would be an amazing experience, but I’ve decided to downgrade to an oceanview room.

It was less than 1/2 the money, and I know with the savings I can afford more time in the spa. The treatments may be expensive, but I swear that the hot stone massage I had onboard last year was the BEST massage I’ve ever had. I took mom to the spa on our Alaskan cruise, and she LOVED it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts