Is Discovery Cove Really Worth the $$$?

Honestly, we didn't do the dolphin swim, so maybe that's why I'm a bit biased, but I wasn't that impressed. Don't get me wrong...the place was beautiful and the food and drinks were great, but there wasn't that much to do. I'm a scuba diver and I had already dove in The Living Seas and I had already done the Shark Deep Dive at Sea World, so maybe I was expecting more than I should have. I enjoyed swimming with the fish and rays, but the water is so cold that you can only do it so long (personal preference). We paid $179 for Discovery Cove, but I would have rather used that for another dive at The Living Seas.

I have been thinking of taking my kids to this next summer.
They have been bugging me about it since it opened LOL

They are HUGE animal lovers and would get a kick out of this. I do have a few questions ...nothing that would stop us from going but questions none the less as I know very little about this park

1. I read that swimmers are to wear wet suits? Is this all day in all the pools or just with the dolphin? Is this accurate info or do you just wear vests?

2. How much are the cabanas to rent? I read where you could rent one for the day. Is this even needed or is there plenty of shady areas to rest?

3. Are there a lot of life guards on duty? My 2 angels are decent swimmers but if snorkling over their heads ..even with life jackets, I want to make sure there are lots of life guards :rotfl2:

4. Do they offer bottled water there instead of cokes? I can't drink coke and I want to make sure there is bottled water there as I read I can't bring anything into the park with me.

5. What should I pack for a day at this park? It seems they are really picky about a lot of things. They provide the sunscreen and your not allowed to use your own sunscreen? AM I correct in this? What is a good day pack list of items I should bring for me my 7 and 11 year old. I don't want to get into trouble for bringing something I shouldn't :rotfl2:

1. I read that swimmers are to wear wet suits? Is this all day in all the pools or just with the dolphin? Is this accurate info or do you just wear vests?

You MUST wear the vests in the water while swimming. No exceptions. This is so the lifeguards can see you. They are not a pain as I thought they would be.

2. How much are the cabanas to rent? I read where you could rent one for the day. Is this even needed or is there plenty of shady areas to rest?

We didn't rent one but I would not pay the extra $$ for one either. I don't think you need one as we really didn't spend much time at our unbrella/lounge chairs.

3. Are there a lot of life guards on duty? My 2 angels are decent swimmers but if snorkling over their heads ..even with life jackets, I want to make sure there are lots of life guards :rotfl2:

Lots and they keep a eye on the kids and adults well

4. Do they offer bottled water there instead of cokes? I can't drink coke and I want to make sure there is bottled water there as I read I can't bring anything into the park with me.

yes lots to choose from

5. What should I pack for a day at this park? It seems they are really picky about a lot of things. They provide the sunscreen and your not allowed to use your own sunscreen? AM I correct in this? What is a good day pack list of items I should bring for me my 7 and 11 year old. I don't want to get into trouble for bringing something I shouldn't :rotfl2:

The sunscreen they provide is enough for the entire day. It is VERY waterproof. We had 4 containers and ended up with two left over between 4 of us. You don't need to bring anything except your swimsuits, change of clothes and a camera if desired. A book if you think you will relax. They provide everything including towels, food, snacks and drinks throughout the day any time you want them

Thanks Laurie. I really want to do this with my kids but DH won't be coming with us this trip so I was concerned being the only parental unit around with the 2 kids. Both are very well behaved children but I want to get all my facts strait before going! :goodvibes

Thanks Laurie. I really want to do this with my kids but DH won't be coming with us this trip so I was concerned being the only parental unit around with the 2 kids. Both are very well behaved children but I want to get all my facts strait before going! :goodvibes

I think they kids will love it. We didn't do the dolphin swim but still had a blast until it poured and we were forced to cover... :headache:
Your kids are old enough to be able to hold their own tray for lunch and breakfast so you should be fine. I have to say this place was great fun and even though we missed out on about 2 hours of fn due to rain I would still recommend it ...

Yes, but only just.

I don't know where else to swim with dolphins. The snokling was pretty cool and the lazy river was fantastic.
The breakfast food was all pasteries and such. Lunch was better, but not fantastic.

They took great photo's, which they were willing to sell to us for a price. But the photos were really really good.

Yeah, I am glad we went. I proabably won't go again though. It is worth the money as a one time thing.

In my trip report, I wrote a good deal about the discovery cove experience. Look for day three. The link to the trip report is in my sig line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!