Is Disney possible for us? (multiple moderate to severe invisible disabilities)

Not wanting to be negative but informative:)
The parks have gotten sooo crowded. There is never a time when there are slow days.
Download the Disney parks app you can see the wait times for the attractions to get an idea of the crowds.
You will be able to use Fastpass and the DAS so your wait times will be shorter but you will still have to navigate through all the people.
My nephew and family recently visited WDW. His wife grew up going to Disneyland and wanted her boys to experience Disney. They did not need any special accommodations but had Fastpasses and didn’t have that great of time because of the crowds. They visited at the beginning of May so not a holiday or summer crowd.
I’ve read the thread so just making sure you understand how the DAS works. You will need to either go to the attraction or to a booth located throughout the park (the booths are new so may not be everywhere) and get a return time for the attraction.
You can only have one DAS at a time.

Not wanting to be negative but informative:)
The parks have gotten sooo crowded. There is never a time when there are slow days.
Download the Disney parks app you can see the wait times for the attractions to get an idea of the crowds.
You will be able to use Fastpass and the DAS so your wait times will be shorter but you will still have to navigate through all the people.
My nephew and family recently visited WDW. His wife grew up going to Disneyland and wanted her boys to experience Disney. They did not need any special accommodations but had Fastpasses and didn’t have that great of time because of the crowds. They visited at the beginning of May so not a holiday or summer crowd.
I’ve read the thread so just making sure you understand how the DAS works. You will need to either go to the attraction or to a booth located throughout the park (the booths are new so may not be everywhere) and get a return time for the attraction.
You can only have one DAS at a time.
Thank you! I haven't looked into DAS and Fast Pass logistics yet past the stickied or linked thread (I don't recall which it is) which I didn't quite follow. I need to find a video showing it, I think.

I watched this video today by TheTimTracker and I think the middle child could do one fast-paced session like that every 1.5-2 days, the hardest part of which would be the changes on the fly (monorail isn't working, not being on schedule by taking the bus, changing which rides to go on based on wait times) which would need many more videos of unexpected changes in schedule like that to be able to internalize as a rule. And the guy didn't use any fast passes or accommodations. Is that a pretty typical non-peak day?

Thank you! I haven't looked into DAS and Fast Pass logistics yet past the stickied or linked thread (I don't recall which it is) which I didn't quite follow. I need to find a video showing it, I think.

I watched this video today by TheTimTracker and I think the middle child could do one fast-paced session like that every 1.5-2 days, the hardest part of which would be the changes on the fly (monorail isn't working, not being on schedule by taking the bus, changing which rides to go on based on wait times) which would need many more videos of unexpected changes in schedule like that to be able to internalize as a rule. And the guy didn't use any fast passes or accommodations. Is that a pretty typical non-peak day?
This videos was about a year ago maybe longer also if you can get to the park 30 minutes before they open you can do a good number of rides the first 30-45 minutes. Witch it sounds like for your family is really not an option. It is also easer to get a same day FP for one then it is for 7.

The way FP works
You pick three rides ( each has a hour window) that you want to ride. Some park have tier ( so those rides normily the most popular ones are tier one the rest are tier two) in tases you can pick one ride from tier one and two from tier two. You will then go to the ride any time during you one hour windo and go though the FP line one time to ride the ride

The way the DAS works is any ride with a wait 15 mi it’s or more you can ask for a return time The return time is wait time -10 minutes. So it is 1:00 buzz is an hour long wait you ask the CM for a return time they tell you to come back anytime after 1:50 ( wait time -10 minutes) and you can come back anytime after your return time (up until park closes) but you can not get another return time until you used your first one

Yes with 7 people you need 2 rooms. If you go with a 2br deluxe resort you can fit 7 people in one room. Those rooms go for round $400 - $500 a night. Plus factor in that you will be buying park tickets for people who may or may not be able to go into the park that day because of their disabilities so that could be a waste of a ticket which cost $133 per person per day. Or paying $133 and the person can only be in the park for a few hours. And if that person must leave the park that means 2 people will be leaving the park there would be $266 wasted. Also factor in that you can easily walk or cover 5-8 miles a day for a Disney park visit. It may not be a good idea to hire someone to come and sit with your child if you say your child can get physical. Since one child has issues with the heat you would be better off going in Jan or Feb. The fall is very hot and humid.
Thank you! The distance shouldn't be a problem at all between the stroller and wheelchair but the 7th person's costs are not insignificant. I appreciate the info! I'll compare it to the cost of the Kids Night Out sitters and the VIP tours and see which comes out cheapest over the course of the whole trip.

Have you looked into Disney cruises. They have all the Disney magic but are less stressful.
Hope you have a magical vacation where ever you go.
I had! Lack of potty training and age under 3 means always having the toddler. Waterpark as a main attraction is a nightmare. The preschooler won't go alone, the child can't go to any long period of group child care as it is way too unstructured, and the ability to fall off into the ocean is just a bit too much for me. Plus every meal needs accommodation. It was a lot of extra work with no downtime for me. But the meet and greet opportunity seemed a treasure!

I suggest if you can't do the whole family then bring the little one. Each year that passes by you may have a harder time with your disabilities so this may be the time to go to give your little one the opportunity. Why not stay at Fort Wilderness, just do a day or two at the Disney parks and like a PP said, go to SeaWorld. The park has a lot of shows giving you downtime. They are also a certified autism center and have an awesome new Sesame Street area. Good luck and enjoy your memories with your children.
Thank you for the Sesame Street info about Sea World! I didn't know that! We just watched a video and think the two youngest would enjoy it while the older two wouldn't. The video I watched was definitely much more chill, making it a possibility for an in-between day. I think based on our last trip not getting to any outside activities that would be an unreasonable expectation, but it would be great if we found ourselves having more spoons than expected.

Yes with 7 people you need 2 rooms. If you go with a 2br deluxe resort you can fit 7 people in one room.
Especially if the helper is not closely related to you, if it's someone you bring from home they should have their own room.
the hardest part of which would be the changes on the fly (monorail isn't working,
If you are staying at Fort Wilderness, it's extremely unlikely that you would be using the monorail.

This videos was about a year ago maybe longer also if you can get to the park 30 minutes before they open you can do a good number of rides the first 30-45 minutes. Witch it sounds like for your family is really not an option. It is also easer to get a same day FP for one then it is for 7.

The way FP works
You pick three rides ( each has a hour window) that you want to ride. Some park have tier ( so those rides normily the most popular ones are tier one the rest are tier two) in tases you can pick one ride from tier one and two from tier two. You will then go to the ride any time during you one hour windo and go though the FP line one time to ride the ride

The way the DAS works is any ride with a wait 15 mi it’s or more you can ask for a return time The return time is wait time -10 minutes. So it is 1:00 buzz is an hour long wait you ask the CM for a return time they tell you to come back anytime after 1:50 ( wait time -10 minutes) and you can come back anytime after your return time (up until park closes) but you can not get another return time until you used your first one
Ahhh! I'm following! Thanks!

If my husband and the child went out early by themselves, they could do a tour like in that video and return. The child could then take a nap and do something active like bike riding or basketball with a sitter while the rest of us do an afternoon in the park. Something like that a few times through the trip could be workable, but not every day.

Just an FYI I was talking about an outside company for the VIP tour not Disney VIP tour group

Especially if the helper is not closely related to you, if it's someone you bring from home they should have their own room.

If you are staying at Fort Wilderness, it's extremely unlikely that you would be using the monorail.
Absolutely! I was thinking of a Kids Night Out parents' helper in the park with us when I asked the question of DAS with 7 people (us and the sitter attendant) but I'm so glad all the other angles I didn't know to ask about are being pointed out because comparing to someone brought from home already came up, with exactly that need for privacy being a make or break on using our camper in Fort Wilderness if we bring someone with us. Thank you!

The monorail reference was to a change in plans the guy in the video encountered, not to one I anticipated. Though I'm not entirely sold on the peace of the Fort and comfort of our own space over the easier accessibility of the monorail resorts.

I haven't found them yet. I'll look. Thanks! Do any work especially well with disabilities?
You can google VIP tour groups in Orlando ( there are a few) and email them and ask them Like I said earlier having an extra set of hands at the park would be very helpful to your family. You might not get as many rides done as other family but I think if you all wanted to go to the park together it could be an option.

Also with your child that does not like change any ride can go down at anytime and you may not be able to ride it for a few hours or a few days

You can google VIP tour groups in Orlando ( there are a few) and email them and ask them Like I said earlier having an extra set of hands at the park would be very helpful to your family. You might not get as many rides done as other family but I think if you all wanted to go to the park together it could be an option.
Yes, we have to consider all these possibilities. I'm really grateful for your help in identifying resources!

Also with your child that does not like change any ride can go down at anytime and you may not be able to ride it for a few hours or a few days
Yes, I need to really prepare them for that. I will start a new thread to ask for examples to watch. If anyone here has a social story already that includes it, I'd be grateful for the sharing.

Just a few things:

Thank you for the brainstorming! That it is smaller and less crowded is a plus. (Really? Is it because Orlando has such competition? The Sea World closer to home was always much more crowded than my Disneyland trips as a child or adult, though that was probably down to the times of year.)

WDW is more crowded than it used to be, and it's more crowded than DL. Sea World will definitely be less crowded than WDW.

As for things that go not as planned...bus delays, ride closures, etc., they happen. And they happen fairly regularly. I've been warning my kids off and on for months that they will need to be ready to find the ride they wanted to go on isn't open or the meet & greet isn't happening, or the show is rained out, and what not. For kids who need to be able to plan out what they are going to do and stick to it, be prepared to have those plans go out the window now and again while you are there.

And the guy didn't use any fast passes or accommodations. Is that a pretty typical non-peak day?

Lastly, in regards to the Tim Tracker video, Tim's got WDW down to a science. First of all, he rope dropped to a less popular area of the park, which is why things were so quiet for him at first. (If you watch the video background you can see the crowd increasing as the morning wears on.) Secondly, he's bopping from one land to another at a pretty good clip to keep hitting attractions with lower wait times. He knows his way around very well and can move quickly from place to place. He knows when and where parades, shows, dance parties are going to be and how to avoid those areas. he knows fastest routes, shortcuts, etc.

Also, because Tim typically is on his own, he can take advantage of single-rider lines when available, which can be a real time saver. :) (I don't know if he used them in this video since he didn't point it out.) Also, at 2:18 in the video he points out that he made 3 FPs for the day and he discusses needing to be at Space Mt. in time for his fastpass several times as well as mentioning that his Mickey meet & greet had a FP.

You also see him changing his mind about what ride to go one as wait times change and increase. He wanted Dumbo, but it was too long a wait. He wanted Jungle Cruise, but it was too long a wait. And that's an example of thinking you're going to do one things and realizing it won't work for you after all. You also see him have trouble not only with the monorail, but also the walkway to the People Mover and the People Mover itself. So that was 3 minor break-down issues in just 3 hours.

So, is 10 attractions in a little over 3 hours typical? Maybe for a single guy, with a lot of practice, 3 FPs, and the ability to quickly make his way all over the park. For my family of 4? No way. My kids wouldn't want to rush all over like that. They definitely would be aggravated if I repeatedly said we were going to do one ride, then said "Wait, nope, we're not." (It's one thing if it's closed, but if it was because we couldn't wait 30 minutes instead of 20 minutes, they would be unhappy.)
They wouldn't like hitting a land, doing one ride, leaving the land, and then going back to it. (We see Tim go to Fantasyland for Small World, then backtrack to Big thunder mountain, then go back to Fantasyland for Ariel, and then rush off to Tomorrowland.) Now, maybe your child/children would be okay with that. But mine don't like to feel like I'm yanking them all over on a schedule. Plus, in 3+ hours I can guarantee mine would need a few water breaks, at least one food break, and a bathroom break or two. ;) I'd say you have to be pretty darn good at theme parks to try to take on a Tim Tracker visit challenge like this one.

Is that crowd level typical? Hard to say. Being there for when it opened was critical for his success and had a ton to do with the initial low crowds. As was the fact that he wasn't trying to get to some of the typical rope drop rides like Peter Pan or the Mine Train. We would have seen a bigger crowd around him had he gone to one of those rides first, I am sure. :) The rest depends on what date he was there, and he very rarely mentions a date of his visits, so it's often hard to tell.

I had! Lack of potty training and age under 3 means always having the toddler. Waterpark as a main attraction is a nightmare. The preschooler won't go alone, the child can't go to any long period of group child care as it is way too unstructured, and the ability to fall off into the ocean is just a bit too much for me. Plus every meal needs accommodation. It was a lot of extra work with no downtime for me. But the meet and greet opportunity seemed a treasure!

As an FYI:

DCL cruises have a nursery for under 3's. The time is paid time, but it does allow you time away from the toddler.

They do have structured activities in the children's clubs.

For meals, I find DCL easier than WDW for special diet accommodations. I have multiple food allergies. We pre-order our meals each night after dinner for the next day - it takes a bit of time, but then it is done. With the new DCL app, it is even easier because during the day I can browse the next day's menus and decide what I want then at dinner just have to confirm and place the order for the next day's meals.

To your original question.

Something that may help you is to get an overall familiarity with the parks and resorts. I would recommend getting a good guidebook and reading it. My favourite is the Passporter book, though they are now out of print, but even their most recent version would be worthwhile as it is an easy and informative read. The Unofficial guidebook is another good one. Having that information as a baseline will make any additional research you do much easier.

As others have mentioned, visiting in cooler months is probably going to be easier. We did one visit in September and vowed never again, it was just too hot and humid. I can't even imagine going in the actual summer months. We visit in the December-February range.

SW

Just a few things:

WDW is more crowded than it used to be, and it's more crowded than DL. Sea World will definitely be less crowded than WDW.

As for things that go not as planned...bus delays, ride closures, etc., they happen. And they happen fairly regularly. I've been warning my kids off and on for months that they will need to be ready to find the ride they wanted to go on isn't open or the meet & greet isn't happening, or the show is rained out, and what not. For kids who need to be able to plan out what they are going to do and stick to it, be prepared to have those plans go out the window now and again while you are there.

Lastly, in regards to the Tim Tracker video, Tim's got WDW down to a science. First of all, he rope dropped to a less popular area of the park, which is why things were so quiet for him at first. (If you watch the video background you can see the crowd increasing as the morning wears on.) Secondly, he's bopping from one land to another at a pretty good clip to keep hitting attractions with lower wait times. He knows his way around very well and can move quickly from place to place. He knows when and where parades, shows, dance parties are going to be and how to avoid those areas. he knows fastest routes, shortcuts, etc.

Also, because Tim typically is on his own, he can take advantage of single-rider lines when available, which can be a real time saver. :) (I don't know if he used them in this video since he didn't point it out.) Also, at 2:18 in the video he points out that he made 3 FPs for the day and he discusses needing to be at Space Mt. in time for his fastpass several times as well as mentioning that his Mickey meet & greet had a FP.

You also see him changing his mind about what ride to go one as wait times change and increase. He wanted Dumbo, but it was too long a wait. He wanted Jungle Cruise, but it was too long a wait. And that's an example of thinking you're going to do one things and realizing it won't work for you after all. You also see him have trouble not only with the monorail, but also the walkway to the People Mover and the People Mover itself. So that was 3 minor break-down issues in just 3 hours.

So, is 10 attractions in a little over 3 hours typical? Maybe for a single guy, with a lot of practice, 3 FPs, and the ability to quickly make his way all over the park. For my family of 4? No way. My kids wouldn't want to rush all over like that. They definitely would be aggravated if I repeatedly said we were going to do one ride, then said "Wait, nope, we're not." (It's one thing if it's closed, but if it was because we couldn't wait 30 minutes instead of 20 minutes, they would be unhappy.)
They wouldn't like hitting a land, doing one ride, leaving the land, and then going back to it. (We see Tim go to Fantasyland for Small World, then backtrack to Big thunder mountain, then go back to Fantasyland for Ariel, and then rush off to Tomorrowland.) Now, maybe your child/children would be okay with that. But mine don't like to feel like I'm yanking them all over on a schedule. Plus, in 3+ hours I can guarantee mine would need a few water breaks, at least one food break, and a bathroom break or two. ;) I'd say you have to be pretty darn good at theme parks to try to take on a Tim Tracker visit challenge like this one.

Is that crowd level typical? Hard to say. Being there for when it opened was critical for his success and had a ton to do with the initial low crowds. As was the fact that he wasn't trying to get to some of the typical rope drop rides like Peter Pan or the Mine Train. We would have seen a bigger crowd around him had he gone to one of those rides first, I am sure. :) The rest depends on what date he was there, and he very rarely mentions a date of his visits, so it's often hard to tell.
Thank you so much for this! I feel a lot more comfortable with my expectation being reasonable. I am thinking my husband the studied strategist and the one child (who has a lot of previous amusement park experience) would enjoy a morning like that a few times, hoping for 7 rides in the block of time. If I can show enough similar videos so they understand the strategy of flexibility, it would be Dad saying to not cross another land as the child would be ready to go.😆 It would be a day of high-powered, high-focused, short term driving then hitting a wall. After that, both Dad and kid would want a nap and Dad could go again while a sitter could stay with the child, letting us take the youngers in with fast passes.

I have a lot to learn, but your explanation reflects the concerns I would anticipate (too much for littles or groups, flexibility in ride choices, need to know layout and popularity well in planning theory and in lay of the land practicality which could be done by a third or fourth day in the same park, and so on), so it is reassuring. Thank you!

I haven't found them yet. I'll look. Thanks! Do any work especially well with disabilities?

I'd be very cautious about anything a 3rd party VIP tour business offers. Disney does not acknowledge most of them, and some could be downright scams. They can't get you into anything faster, no matter what they promise. They do know the layout of the parks, and might have some knowledge of park events, but is that worth hundreds of dollars a day?

I'd be very cautious about anything a 3rd party VIP tour business offers. Disney does not acknowledge most of them, and some could be downright scams. They can't get you into anything faster, no matter what they promise. They do know the layout of the parks, and might have some knowledge of park events, but is that worth hundreds of dollars a day?
I was not suggesting them as some way to get on rides faster but as an extra set of hands that also know the park and the flow of the parks. Someone that could sit out with a too short rider someone to help with meals. Someone that would know where the congestion point in the parks are someone that would know quiet spots in the park This is what I would use them for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!