Is Disney Spring worth 1/2 extra day and night stay?

mikewdw

wdw coach
Haven't been to Disney Springs since they began reimagining it from Downtown Disney. We are planning on starting our onsite stay on Sunday in late may. Had originally planned on driving down Sunday leaving very, very, early in AM. Is DS worth driving down day early on Sat. and spending extra night in off site motel? We like the idea of feeling fresh on Sunday to start our trip to WDW (have done it like that numerous times) but not sure if worth $250-350 more by the time we pay for hotel and meals on Sat.
any info appreciated.
Thanks
mikewdw

Sadly no. Our first trip we loooved DS because it was pretty much empty and a great way to spend a non-park day but this last trip it was packed and kind of depressing to be honest. Lines for everything, sooo many locals, a few QS places ran out of food, dirty areas and very few places to sit and relax. If you live in a big city with an outdoor mall it’s the same thing. Not worth the $$. If you want to grab dinner there during your stay it’s fine but do not go out of your way.

Last edited:

Wow, I have to admit, I'm glad I'm not the only one that dislikes the new Disney Springs. We extended our stay by one night 2 summers ago because DS had just opened and I was so excited to see it! I loved DTD. We typically stay at POR, so we loved taking the boat over and could spend at least half a day there. I could walk back and forth for hours.
I do not like at all what they've done with DS. I do not shop at high end shops at home, I certainly don't want to shop there when I'm already spending thousands on my vacation. It might be nice for locals, but we will avoid it.

Would you be interested in doing to Star Wars virtual reality experience? That, of course, would add to the cost, but it's what drawing us to DS this summer.

Why is it an extra $250-$350? All it would be is an extra night in an off site motel.
The OP stated that is how much they would spend on lodging & food in that time. They probably know about how much their family would spend on food in a day at WDW.

Last edited:
Haven't been to Disney Springs since they began reimagining it from Downtown Disney. We are planning on starting our onsite stay on Sunday in late may. Had originally planned on driving down Sunday leaving very, very, early in AM. Is DS worth driving down day early on Sat. and spending extra night in off site motel? We like the idea of feeling fresh on Sunday to start our trip to WDW (have done it like that numerous times) but not sure if worth $250-350 more by the time we pay for hotel and meals on Sat.
any info appreciated.
Thanks
mikewdw
No, we prefer to skip it. As others have stated, it's just an overpriced, outdoor mall. We have those at home.

Not for us. We like the movies, Splitsville for bowling and a meal, but that’s it for us. Unless you are big shoppers, it’s something you can skip. We will head over for a couple of hours once or twice in a two week trip, but that’s it.

It has improved dramatically with more to follow. Not sure I would add a day but there many good places for dinner etc.

If you have a car you can eat anywhere and if you are staying in an offsite motel that seems like it would be much less than $250 but that’s my budgeting.

I couldn’t get it to quote.

I'm torn on this myself. Like others, I'm not all that impressed with the new construction part - and holy cow is all of that white stucco blazingly hot in the summer between all those high end stores.

But with all of that said, DW and I just finished a January MLK weekend trip without the kids. We only had 2 park days, but on our Friday arrival day, we had a great meal/entertainment at Raglan Road followed by shopping in the old side of DTD with the Disney stores, and the Art of Disney in particular. No need to look at a five hundred dollar outfit in the Izod store (no idea if there really is an Izod store) because we were getting our Disney fix.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter