Is Disney Spring worth 1/2 extra day and night stay?

If you have a car you can eat anywhere and if you are staying in an offsite motel that seems like it would be much less than $250 but that’s my budgeting.

I couldn’t get it to quote.
Not everyone wants their family to eat at McDonalds on their vacation. If you budget $100 for a nearby motel, that leaves $150 to split between three meals. $50 per meal for an entire family is quite cheap by Disney standards.

No need to keep questioning the OP's math or vacation choices.

Not everyone wants their family to eat at McDonalds on their vacation. If you budget $100 for a nearby motel, that leaves $150 to split between three meals. $50 per meal for an entire family is quite cheap by Disney standards.

Isn’t that why you post questions here? Feedback? It said a half of a day and I never told anyone to eat McDonald’s.

Last summer, we wound up having a full extra day in Florida. We spent a couple of hours that extra day at Disney Springs, and ended the day with LaNouba, then most of an afternoon there on our non park day. The day we left, we also spent a couple of hours in the morning there, finishing our trip with lunch at Rainforest Cafe' before starting the drive back to NY. For us, certainly we would add an extra half day and spend it at Disney Springs if we could. I honestly can't think of any reason not to add more vacation time. Disney Springs isn't a theme park by any means, but there are scores of shops, some like what you might see in an upscale mall, some uniquely Disney, and so many wonderful dining options, certainly it is worth half a day, and especially if that half a day is extra time being added onto your vacation!

I'm torn on this myself. Like others, I'm not all that impressed with the new construction part - and holy cow is all of that white stucco blazingly hot in the summer between all those high end stores.

But with all of that said, DW and I just finished a January MLK weekend trip without the kids. We only had 2 park days, but on our Friday arrival day, we had a great meal/entertainment at Raglan Road followed by shopping in the old side of DTD with the Disney stores, and the Art of Disney in particular. No need to look at a five hundred dollar outfit in the Izod store (no idea if there really is an Izod store) because we were getting our Disney fix.
I'm completely crying laughing about the $500 outfit at Izod. I don't know if there is an Izod either, but there is a Tommy Bahama . . . . now I will be the first to admit that I am not a big fashion kind of guy. I'm a 48 year old dad, who's worked blue collar jobs all his life. I'm no stranger to the ugly side of toilet bowls, and other dirty locations around the house, and under the car.

I have a kind of soft spot for Hawaiian shirts. I have a couple, and like most of my other clothes, they come straight from the local Wal Mart, because cheap . . . yup. So, while we were at Disney Springs last August, and DW, DD, and my mom were all in the Vera Bradley store, I wandered into Tommy Bahama's and browsed. I spotted a Hawaiian shirt that I thought looked amazing. I should have known better, really, I should have. I don't recall the exact price, but it was well North of $100 . . . as a matter of fact, it was solidly $100 North of what I might be willing to spend on one shirt. I'd imagine, if you went for the full outfit there, you'd be hitting that $500 mark!

EDIT: Just so you all don't think I'm THAT cheap, I do have a Hawaiian shirt I bought at Old Town that was actually more than $19.99 . . . I won't say how MUCH more though :)

I would say in your case drive down on Sat. More that you guys then actually have a full day Sunday and are refreshed. Online checkin, drop suitcases off and hit the parks. I think your cost is over budget. Get a room for under 100 and your only extra cost is dinner. DS is worth the evening to stroll and see things. We like DS but not 250 more like. But I think your costs are too high ( assuming one room and you are weilling to stay not at the waldorf). There are plenty of cheap eats too in DS earl of sandwich etc. Polite Pig awesome!!!! And huge can share

Nope. I can shop at home. And I actually hate to shop anyway. Online all day for me! I live in an area with tons of malls and outdoor shopping centers with lots of high end stores. No need for me to even step foot in DS. Next trip I may try it for one afternoon but only because I want to try WPE. Other than that we haven't been to DTD/DS in ten years and I definitely wouldn't add a day of vacation to stop in.

Whenever I think of adding a day to my trip because airfare is cheaper on a certain day I always take into account food costs for that day. After an additional hotel night AND food costs it's sometimes not worth it. If we are in Disney we are going to want to eat Disney food. Not Sizzlers or Wendy's. So that drives up our costs.

The Void VR experience is the only reason to go to DS, IMHO. If you can figure out a way to get your extra costs down, I would consider it. Lots of good QS in DS, too, so that might help with food costs?

I’m going against the grain here.

I would totally come down the day before - simply to be refreshed and ready to go on day one. That is priceless to me. Visiting DS would just be an added “bonus”.

I do agree with most pps. The new portion of The Springs is an overrated, high(ish) end outdoor shopping mall. But, the old school Marketplace is still alive and well. And there’s quite a bit of entertainment that is great for the whole fam to enjoy.

No way I'd add an extra day just for DS. As so many have already stated.... it's just a high-end outside mall! And the bus depot is ridiculously far away from the "older" part of DS whick is the only part we're interested in. So the last time, we stayed at POR and had a free afternoon, so we hopped on the boat and enjoyed the World of Disney and Art Gallery shops. Then ice cream at Ghirardelli!! Otherwise.... skip it!!

I would come down the day before to come down the day before and get a fresh start on Sunday. I wouldn't waste that whole weekend day when I could be making my way toward Disney!!!!!!!!!

We love the restaurants and World of Disney. We have always spend at least 1 evening at Disney Springs soaking up the atmosphere.

We don't have a Earl's around here, so I have to go at least once each trip. The Void sounds really cool too. Eating at Homecoming looks good, but a bit expensive for me. It's a maybe. I would love to find a Disney dress to wear, but probably won't.
That's it for me.
BUT coming in a day earlier, so I can get up early on Sunday for the parks is something I would do. Cheap place to stay on Sat. Sunday check in to resort early(or wait till afternoon), then on to the parks.

Haven't been to Disney Springs since they began reimagining it from Downtown Disney. We are planning on starting our onsite stay on Sunday in late may. Had originally planned on driving down Sunday leaving very, very, early in AM. Is DS worth driving down day early on Sat. and spending extra night in off site motel? We like the idea of feeling fresh on Sunday to start our trip to WDW (have done it like that numerous times) but not sure if worth $250-350 more by the time we pay for hotel and meals on Sat.
any info appreciated.
Thanks
mikewdw
Totally worth it. Our first night is usually at DS at an off-site hotel . We love grabbing snacks and drinks and just walking around. I hope you decide to give it a try and then report back with how you liked it.

Haven't been to Disney Springs since they began reimagining it from Downtown Disney. We are planning on starting our onsite stay on Sunday in late may. Had originally planned on driving down Sunday leaving very, very, early in AM. Is DS worth driving down day early on Sat. and spending extra night in off site motel? We like the idea of feeling fresh on Sunday to start our trip to WDW (have done it like that numerous times) but not sure if worth $250-350 more by the time we pay for hotel and meals on Sat.
any info appreciated.
Thanks
mikewdw
Great question, @mikewdw!

Your thread was picked for today's DIS Daily Fix! :goodvibes

Just stay at an all star or Pop and book a nice dinner for that night or something. Disney Springs isn't worth the extra night, but the extra sleep just might be :)

We enjoy spending at least one afternoon or evening at DS during our trips as a bit of a break from park time....but I definitely would not add another night for the sole purpose of going there.

Nope. We spent about two hours there on our last trip, if that. It's just an outdoor mall. If I'm going to go to the mall in Orlando, I'd choose a different one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter