Is Disney taking the 'Mickey' out of its resorts

I really hated the white wall colour when I first saw pictures of Pops renovated rooms.

But we are a family of four who stays for two weeks. We discovered, once you move all your crap into the room, you're not going to notice. :rotfl:

I think the rooms certainly feel bigger now with the storage and ability to fold up the bed. So now, I love it. :)

“Hospitable “. Did you mean “Hospital “?
I too did not like pictures. But once in a new room, I loved it.

Truthfully the Poly (DVC) rooms were the last rooms to be designed that have a theme behind it. And they were designed so beautifully too.

All the room refurbishments after that have been wood flooring and simplistic looks.

I don't mind the lack of themeing, although Contemporary is my favorite and that is probably one of the more sterile of them all. I just don't like the hard wood floors. It never feels as clean on my feet as the carpet

So I know a lot of people don't like the lament (I'm not a huge fan either but I'm used to hard wood floors as my house all the floors are hard wood) but I know Disney has had issues with bed bugs in the past and bed bugs prefer carpet as there are more place to hide and is warmer during the day. The lament may be an effort to prevent further infestation or perhaps make it easier overall to rid the bed bugs.

That being said lament flooring will get to a point in which no matter how clean your mop water is, the floor will still look dirty and need replaced. With how often those rooms are used the flooring will show it more than carpet did.

We just got back from YC a week ago, and DD was so disappointed with the lack of Disney touches in the room after the remodel. The remodel was nice (well except for the cut out in the shower that is too narrow to fit product and everything kept falling over and over every time anyone was in the shower), but aside from the drapes, it just felt like a standard room at any non-Disney hotel.

So I know a lot of people don't like the lament (I'm not a huge fan either but I'm used to hard wood floors as my house all the floors are hard wood) but I know Disney has had issues with bed bugs in the past and bed bugs prefer carpet as there are more place to hide and is warmer during the day. The lament may be an effort to prevent further infestation or perhaps make it easier overall to rid the bed bugs.

That being said lament flooring will get to a point in which no matter how clean your mop water is, the floor will still look dirty and need replaced. With how often those rooms are used the flooring will show it more than carpet did.
Do you mean *laminate* flooring?
Denise

We were very surprised for our BC stay in September (our 1st time staying there since the rooms have been renovated) that all traces of Disney had been removed except for the hidden Mickey print on the shower curtain...not even any Disney artwork on the walls. I miss the Disney touches too, and agree that Disney seems to be embracing the simple, modern look that HGTV seems to sell us daily.

Love all the new designs in the hotels, LOVE!!!

Crisp, clean, fresh, bright, airy, Disney feel still there just in subtle ways...success! :thumbsup2

I am not surprised that they are doing that. Just from a cost standpoint, not having to worry about having Mickey's around, they can take off the shelves items instead of customized ones. Considering the number of rooms they are renovating, that can make a big difference costwise. Since they are trying to cut cost and raise revenue, again, not surprising.

It's standard for hotel rooms to be renovated approximately every 7 years. How often does Disney do this? Simple, clean designs are what's popular now and maybe with the next renovation they will add more color back in. I know people steal things from hotels so maybe they are trying to deter that and make it easier to clean.

I also don't understand what people mean by theming - are you talking Mickey Mouse or the theme of the hotel?

Because the theming of each hotel is still there - the Polynesian rooms still have a tropical theme.
The Yacht Club new rooms look very nautical, at least to me anyways. The colors, the artwork, the woods.
The Boardwalk rooms are themed just like the hotel. The curtains, the wallpaper, the artwork.
Pop Century - those new rooms really capture the theme, you may not like it, but it's themed.

Pop Century - those new rooms really capture the theme, you may not like it, but it's themed.

With the exception of a couple pieces of Disney artwork above the beds, how are they themed? They're white walls, white beds, hardwood floors. More to the point, are all of the rooms in each different decade the same? If so, that is the definition of not being themed.

With the exception of a couple pieces of Disney artwork above the beds, how are they themed? They're white walls, white beds, hardwood floors. More to the point, are all of the rooms in each different decade the same? If so, that is the definition of not being themed.

The art looks like Pop Art to me! The pops of orange, the green fabric on chair, all fits the theme.

I don't need bedspreads to be themed, just clean. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter