Is Disney taking the 'Mickey' out of its resorts

How? The theme of Pop Century is to represent the later decades of the 20th century. All the rooms in each section should look different (if they are indeed supposed to be themed).

I just explained how. Also that type of pop art is transcendent of decade (popular from the 60's until today). You don't need to agree with my explanation. :)

I just explained how. Also that type of pop art is transcendent of decade (popular from the 60's until today). You don't need to agree with my explanation. :)

Yeah, I guess so. To be fair, the rooms (to my recollection) were never different from building to building.

Universal just opened Aventura and I think those are the ugliest hotel rooms I've ever seen. Seems both are going to a very plain, white look.

I kind of like it, I've never been a fan of the over the top theming especially in the value resorts. There is plenty of Mickey Mouse in the parks and there are certainly Disney touches throughout all the resorts.

I love the changes. I don't need my room to be all crazy themed with a lot going on. I want it to be resting and comfortable which is exactly what they are now. I get enough theming everywhere else!

I am on the ME bus after 2 nights AsMo and 3 nights BRV.

I have to say I LOVED all star Movies! We had a refurbished room in building 8. Fantasia. Close to bus, food court, pool, laundry , pool bar!!!!

I loved the refurb! However, all stars are still fully loaded with theming!!!
The Murphy pull down bed is amazing! Very comfortable and an amazing use of space. I was joking to my mom about how we will slum it when we move I’ve to our villa with the pullout couch.

Ok so on to our beloved WLV... aka BRV;-)
Wow his was the 1st time that I have seen what people are talking about when they “complain” about WLV.

Ok room is dark, somehow it never bothered me. Maybe it didn’t help I was on the 2nd floor facing WL close to walkway. Not my room request but hey... no worries:-)

My problem is NO MICKEY/Disney THEMING in the ROOM. Besides the mickey ears in the Hallway ceiling corners.... No Hidden Mickeys! Not in the carpet, shower curtain, pictures on wall, stamps on furniture...nothing...just generic. Apparently we still have the ceiling fan though :-)

So yes I love my DVC, but come on imagineers, yes we like clean crisp rooms..... but don’t take the Mickey.... out of well... Mickey’s World ;-)
Thanks
Kerri

I also don't understand what people mean by theming - are you talking Mickey Mouse or the theme of the hotel?

Because the theming of each hotel is still there - the Polynesian rooms still have a tropical theme.
The Yacht Club new rooms look very nautical, at least to me anyways. The colors, the artwork, the woods.
The Boardwalk rooms are themed just like the hotel. The curtains, the wallpaper, the artwork.
Pop Century - those new rooms really capture the theme, you may not like it, but it's themed.

I meant theming. Mickey is a metaphor

I meant theming. Mickey is a metaphor

I meant do people want theming as in Mickey Mouse/Disney decor or do they want theming in line with with the theme of the hotel. There is a difference and I think the new hotel decor is true to their theme, which I stated in the post you quoted.

Is Disney taking the 'Mickey' out of its resorts?

Yes

Disney is removing the Disney from the rooms,
creating a generic room across the property
and rooms that could be any room, any where.

It doesn't have to be Mickey or Princesses or Pirates,
but it should be themed with details that when you wake up in your room,
you know what hotel you are at (by theme) and it's Disney.

Used to love hunting hidden Mickey's everywhere. They were not in your face but they were nods to Disney and part of what made it a special place to stay. Lots of folks want the full Disney immersion, the bubble ... and they pay extra for that.

This last round of renovation that hotels are getting are generic in color, furnishings, decorative touches and literally could be any hotel any where. POP Century rooms, while workable for us, are sterile hospital rooms, are mostly white, with white & brown laminate furnishings. Grand Floridian, if it weren't for the railing on the balcony in the room photos, wouldn't have known it was anything more than a mass branded hotel room offsite. Coronado, excellent makeover for a business and convention hotel ... Disney look, none.

It is what it is, it will only get worse.

This could be a Disney room, but it's an offsite room close to Disney that gives me more for less. There are plenty like it.

Costs about or less than POP, similar color range but way more of it, not sterile, room costs less and provides me much more including breakfast!
Hyatt-Place-Orlando-LBV-Standard-Queen.jpg

POP ...
room-ga-g01.jpg

Last edited:
...Ok so on to our beloved WLV... aka BRV;-)
Wow his was the 1st time that I have seen what people are talking about when they “complain” about WLV.

Ok room is dark, somehow it never bothered me. Maybe it didn’t help I was on the 2nd floor facing WL close to walkway. Not my room request but hey... no worries:-)

My problem is NO MICKEY/Disney THEMING in the ROOM. Besides the mickey ears in the Hallway ceiling corners.... No Hidden Mickeys! Not in the carpet, shower curtain, pictures on wall, stamps on furniture...nothing...just generic. Apparently we still have the ceiling fan though :-)

So yes I love my DVC, but come on imagineers, yes we like clean crisp rooms..... but don’t take the Mickey.... out of well... Mickey’s World ;-)
Thanks
Kerri
I missed the plaids in the room. The black and white buffalo check on the chair. The red plaid curtains. And the dark patterned sleeper sofa. It was supposed to represent the Old Faithful Inn at Yellowstone. I'm really glad they kept the pine cone carpet in the corridors. When we stayed in 2013, they were doing model rooms for the renovation. Just down the hall from where we were staying, they were working on a room. They removed the hallway carpet and replaced it with some Southwest-looking carpet (Navaho theming?) and put in some similar wall paper outside the two rooms they did over. It was awful I was so glad to see that they didn't change out the carpet. But the sofa is now a totally uncomfortable for sitting beige. Same with the chair, except it is orange fabric for the chair and a simulated leather bottom cushion (doesn't go at all). The curtains are not so bad. The kitchen cabinets were forest green and are now off white. The tile back splash seems out of place (it's still green and white).
Sample carpet not installed:
DSC08424.JPG
Existing Carpet:DSC08427.JPG
Original living room: VWL Living Room.jpg
New Living room (sorry for the dark photo):DSC03458.jpg

Last edited:
I like them enough but I really miss the runners. I felt like they gave the bed some extra theming.
Funny you mention those specifically. We were at AKL Kindani last week and they still have them. DROVE ME BONKERS! Just in the way when you go to sleep and always ended up bunched up on the floor. I had forgotten how big a PITA they were

Is Disney taking the 'Mickey' out of its resorts?

Yes

Disney is removing the Disney from the rooms,
creating a generic room across the property
and rooms that could be any room, any where.

It doesn't have to be Mickey or Princesses or Pirates,
but it should be themed with details that when you wake up in your room,
you know what hotel you are at (by theme) and it's Disney.

Used to love hunting hidden Mickey's everywhere. They were not in your face but they were nods to Disney and part of what made it a special place to stay. Lots of folks want the full Disney immersion, the bubble ... and they pay extra for that.

This last round of renovation that hotels are getting are generic in color, furnishings, decorative touches and literally could be any hotel any where. POP Century rooms, while workable for us, are sterile hospital rooms, are mostly white, with white & brown laminate furnishings. Grand Floridian, if it weren't for the railing on the balcony in the room photos, wouldn't have known it was anything more than a mass branded hotel room offsite. Coronado, excellent makeover for a business and convention hotel ... Disney look, none.

It is what it is, it will only get worse.

This could be a Disney room, but it's an offsite room close to Disney that gives me more for less. There are plenty like it.

Costs about or less than POP, similar color range but way more of it, not sterile, room costs less and provides me much more including breakfast!
Hyatt-Place-Orlando-LBV-Standard-Queen.jpg

POP ...
room-ga-g01.jpg

Is that not MICKEY MOUSE art above the bed? Is there not also another character visible when you pull down the murphy bed?

I like the new renovated rooms. I’m not one that needs to be hit over the head with themes, I like the subtle touches. And as long as the rest of the hotel is themed, personally I don’t mind a little less theme in the room.

To me, the rooms need to be a quiet, tranquil space. Disney is loud and in your face all the time. It's hard to turn it off when your room is just as loud as the parks. It's good there's a place that turns it all off now. There's more than enough Disney outside the door to your room. Makes it rather impossible to mistaken the resort for being somewhere other than Disney

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter