Is Disney World becoming a shell of its former self?

I think they are trying everything to not cut anything from SWL which is why you are seeing everything cut from toy story.

A very logical take on it...and that would be "ok" even though they need a lot more good quality in MGM than just a small
Star Wars land...

But you know my stance on things like this...

Florida statutes limit the maximum rate that you can charge for lodging and it is required to displayed in the hotel. The idea is to prevent price gouging ...a very important thing to consider in a place with so much tropical activity...

In 2001...after the dates you stated...the Maximum rate by law for a standard room at a moderate (they are all standard) was $225 per night...
Keep digging...

Florida law allows hotels to change whatever they'd like, as long as the rate is filed with the state & posted in the room five days in advance. In other words, Disney was legally allowed to price gouge during the Holiday period surrounding the Millennium but when it dropped plans several months (at least, the exact time frame I can't recall), it was under no obligation to file the rates with the state or post them within the room.

Try again! At least it's (somewhat) factual.

Florida law allows hotels to change whatever they'd like, as long as the rate is filed with the state & posted in the room five days in advance. In other words, Disney was legally allowed to price gouge during the Holiday period surrounding the Millennium but when it dropped plans several months (at least, the exact time frame I can't recall), it was under no obligation to file the rates with the state or post them within the room.

Try again! At least it's (somewhat) factual.

But they don't...and they never have...because Disney doesn't update those posting in real time and never has in the manner that you are speaking. Are you telling me they restickered 13,000 (at the time...roughly) rooms and then did it again on January 2nd? Do You know what that costs in labor alone?...do you know how difficult the old dpms system was to resolve accounting changes? There were few rate changes then specifically because of that.
do you know that rates where grandfathered at that time? Which means it would have affected no one.

In fact - at that time and till the system was updated 5 years later...people traveling during a spiked holiday price would "checkout/checkin" a few days later when the rates dropped so they could get the non-peak rate?

I'll ask if anyone paid $500 for a $79-$145 room in 1999?

Someone said no...you claim this was policy...somebody had to have. You'll be proven right, right?

It's only a matter of time.

I was in the parks in 12/31/99...with all the emergency generators and light towers for when the power grid crashed at midnight...you know?

The ticket charge was the same...but I must have been contacted in 1993 to be alerted of the hyperinflation for that day, right?

when were these prebooked sold, exactly? 10 years in advance...I know I was thinking "millenium" during desert storm...

I'll do the research...there has to be Stories of bonafide presells beyond the range of strategic planning (3-5 years at most in WDW) and then the bait and switch...it's out there on the internet somewhere.

But they don't...and they never have...because Disney doesn't update those posting in real time and never has in the manner that you are speaking. Are you telling me they restickered 13,000 (at the time...roughly) rooms and then did it again on January 2nd? Do You know what that costs in labor alone?...do you know how difficult the old dpms system was to resolve accounting changes? There were few rate changes then specifically because of that.
do you know that rates where grandfathered at that time? Which means it would have affected no one.

I'll do the research...there has to be Stories of bonafide presells beyond the range of strategic planning (3-5 years at most in WDW) and then the bait and switch...it's out there on the internet somewhere.

Here, I'll help:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/19...90_1_crowne-plaza-new-year-s-eve-times-square

Here's an article written in February, 1996:
"For instance, thinking about ringing in 2000 at Walt Disney World? Think again. You might get into one of the theme parks, but there isn't a single room available for Dec. 31, 1999, in any of the Disney Resort Hotels. That's more than 30,000 rooms. Even the Boardwalk resort hotel is booked for that night - and the Boardwalk isn't even finished yet... To reserve a room at a Disney hotel takes actual money, not a name on a list or even a credit-card guarantee."

You think Disney reserved all 30K rooms in a few months or something? (I could probably find more information, but I'm not going to waste any more time on it). We booked our room for 12/31/99 (like I said, we later changed it) at the Dixie Landings in December 1991 -- when the DL wasn't even finished. I can recall the promotions 'where will you be on 12/31/99' that existed in WDW in the 1990s.

Keep trying.

Here, I'll help:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/19...90_1_crowne-plaza-new-year-s-eve-times-square

Here's an article written in February, 1996:
"For instance, thinking about ringing in 2000 at Walt Disney World? Think again. You might get into one of the theme parks, but there isn't a single room available for Dec. 31, 1999, in any of the Disney Resort Hotels. That's more than 30,000 rooms. Even the Boardwalk resort hotel is booked for that night - and the Boardwalk isn't even finished yet... To reserve a room at a Disney hotel takes actual money, not a name on a list or even a credit-card guarantee."

You think Disney reserved all 30K rooms in a few months or something? (I could probably find more information, but I'm not going to waste any more time on it). We booked our room for 12/31/99 (like I said, we later changed it) at the Dixie Landings in December 1991 -- when the DL wasn't even finished. I can recall the promotions 'where will you be on 12/31/99' that existed in WDW in the 1990s.

Keep trying.

I read a similar article from 12/26/95 in the New York Times that said "limited availability" for 1999...

And they did not have 30,000 WDW Rooms in 1999...certainly not in 1996...I don't know where that number is coming from...

But here's what I need to see to validate you...I need one person in the millions on this board - including the majority of Disney fanatics...to tell me they paid a 300-400% upcharge on that one night...that's all.

Of course the rooms we're booked...they are every year...it is the busiest week of the year and you pay a 50% markup for those days...

Just want to know how this never once came up...like how could that not have been a known thing in the resort operations units around that time?

I read a similar article from 12/26/95 in the New York Times that said "limited availability" for 1999...

And they did not have 30,000 WDW Rooms in 1999...certainly not in 1996...I don't know where that number is coming from...

But here's what I need to see to validate you...I need one person in the millions on this board - including the majority of Disney fanatics...to tell me they paid a 300-400% upcharge on that one night...that's all.

Of course the rooms we're booked...they are every year...it is the busiest week of the year and you pay a 50% markup for those days...

Just want to know how this never once came up...like how could that not have been a known thing in the resort operations units around that time?

Yeah, the article was wrong in every way. I got it ;).

Yeah, the article was wrong in every way. I got it ;).
Articles can be wrong. For example a couple weeks ago the Orlando business journal wrote and article that Disney field permits to build a new dining building at ft. Wilderness. Those permits were filed in 2011 and never used. The article was wrong and days later taken down because it was.

If you two continue to be argumentative towards each other I take action. Let's play nice please.

Articles can be wrong. For example a couple weeks ago the Orlando business journal wrote and article that Disney field permits to build a new dining building at ft. Wilderness. Those permits were filed in 2011 and never used. The article was wrong and days later taken down because it was.

If you two continue to be argumentative towards each other I take action. Let's play nice please.

Please take action...this started as somekind of axe to grind about the current management making false accusations against the previous...and has devolved into a salamander for there...

Can I ban myself?

"I'll ride the bench for the good of the team, coach"

No...i added up the total rooms for the WDW hotels online and it was about 18,000 plus ft wilderness. Math is easy...so that number includes something else

Articles can be wrong.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...176_1_new-year-eve-disney-hotel-eve-package/2

Here's an Orlando Sentinel article mentioning that WDW's room inventory had been sold out since 1995, and mentions a guest who booked her room in 1992.

The article mentions the price gouging occurring in Orlando at the time but unsurprisingly doesn't discuss Disney (it rarely reported anything critical of WDW during that era after previous incident in which Disney yanked the paper from its property).

Last edited:
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...176_1_new-year-eve-disney-hotel-eve-package/2

Here's an Orlando Sentinel article mentioning that WDW's room inventory had been sold out since 1995, and mentions a guest who booked her room in 1992.

I'm talking about the 30,000 number.

https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/hotels/number-rooms

WDW has just over 30,000 onsite rooms now. No way they had that in the 90s. There are more hotels on WDW property today than there were in the 90s.

I'm talking about the 30,000 number.

https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/hotels/number-rooms

WDW has just over 30,000 onsite rooms now. No way they had that in the 90s. There are more hotels on WDW property today than there were in the 90s.

The first article was incorrect about the number of Disney-owned rooms (the second article mentions 20K) but it validified a portion of my assertion that WDW had been booking rooms in the early 1990s and was sold out by the mid-1990s, something that another poster questioned.

I just want to see proof of the $500 rates at Port Orleans. The hotels are booked almost every New Years so that's really not even questionable but that $500 deal really gets me.

I just want to see proof of the $500 rates at Port Orleans. The hotels are booked almost every New Years so that's really not even questionable but that $500 deal really gets me.

Me too...that's where the acceptance of this premise takes a dogleg for me...

I have to go back and disagree again. I work with hundreds of high school seniors every year and talk with each one for a period of time sometimes more than an hour. I can't remember the last time one of them brought up Harry Potter or had anything Harry Potter

I have to go back and disagree again. I work with hundreds of high school seniors every year and talk with each one for a period of time sometimes more than an hour. I can't remember the last time one of them brought up Harry Potter or had anything Harry Potter

I agree with you. High schoolers for the most part do not live in the emotional sentiments of childhood. It's when you start your own family that these things resurface.

I didn't touch Legos, go to Disney or watch a Star Wars movie after age 12*. But as soon as my son was old enough Legos, Disney World, and Star Wars became part a part of our family culture. We've also added Harry Potter to the mix.

I expect the cycle will repeat with my own children.

*Technically I saw The Phantom Menace but I have spent years trying to erase it from my memory.

I'm a Brit that as a child visited wdw every other year from 1988- 2004! The last time I was there was 2007 just before I had kids. The fact that I know where most things are and understand the ride descriptions/ locations to me say that not much has changed in the past 9 years which really saddens me. Universal however is unrecognized. As a family we loved both parks. The ET is as much of an institution as the jungle cruise Imo- however universal never held the magic- the lump in the throat moment seeing the castle from main street. Lots of fun but not much feeling at uni

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter