Is DVC worth it for me?

JustinS30

Mouseketeer
I feel like there’s likely another thread regarding this here somewhere, but I haven’t found it. I also feel like this could spark a debate. My fiancé and I are considering buying into DVC. Since it’s just the two of us for now, we’d be perfectly fine in studios (and therefore requiring fewer points...at first). Our top choices for home resort are BLT and Boardwalk, since I know that will effect my follow up question.

I’ve heard people say it before that if you’re only staying in Studios then DVC is not worth it. Would you agree with this? Also, is it difficult booking studios (whether home resort or elsewhere)? Or would it make more sense to wait until we can manage enough points to afford 1BR stays. We would definitely be annual visitors(we could live with every other year with a beneficial contract).

Thoughts? Opinions?

I tend to agree with that re: studios. It's the 2 bedroom units that really eat up money when you are paying cash. There are so many studios on property and a lot of great studios at moderates. They also discount studio rooms a lot.

That being said, if your travel dates are very predictable (same time every year) and you can confidently know how many points you will need, I still think it will probably be worth it. If you don't need flexibility though, renting DVC points is another option.

BLT contract is longer and dues are lighter- this would be a better value than Boardwalk IMO but you’d have to do the math to validate.

We only use studios. We have 100 points - BLT and VWL, 50 ea resale market.

I would consider buying resale to improve value.

BLT contract is longer and dues are lighter- this would be a better value than Boardwalk IMO but you’d have to do the math to validate.

We only use studios. We have 100 points - BLT and VWL, 50 ea resale market.

I would consider buying resale to improve value.

I’ve been looking into renting points as well. And if we were to purchase, it would absolutely be resale.

How often and long do you typically stay at BLT with 100pts? And time of year? Our schedules can be flexible

When do you plan on going to WDW? That could make a difference in where you buy.

My very personal opinion is that we bought DVC for 1 and 2 brs. If we had just wanted studios, we would’ve been happy to keep staying at whatever onsite resort (values and moderates included) with whatever discount we could get. But we are a family of 5, and our needs are different. I know a lot of people only want and need studios, and the great thing about DVC is that there are different room options for everyone and different situations and stages of life (extended family trips, couples, etc).

You could always get enough points for studio stays now, and add on if you find you want 1 brs or larger later.

It seems like studios are the most popular/difficult to book, especially during the “DVC busy season” (fall through early January). I’ve found this thread very helpful to get an idea for availability: https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-studios-1-bedrooms-june-2018-update.3689931/

Have you seen the different point charts yet, to get an idea how many points you’d need? Here’s BLT’s, and you can click around for the others: https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/BLT-Points.htm

I’ve been looking into renting points as well. And if we were to purchase, it would absolutely be resale.

How often and long do you typically stay at BLT with 100pts? And time of year? Our schedules can be flexible
The 100 points is good for about 6 nights (depending on time of year, room cat, resort, etc). We usually bank and borrow to take a long trip (8-10 nights) and a shorter trip or two w DVC annual pass and then do other vacations for 1-2 years

I feel like there’s likely another thread regarding this here somewhere, but I haven’t found it. I also feel like this could spark a debate. My fiancé and I are considering buying into DVC. Since it’s just the two of us for now, we’d be perfectly fine in studios (and therefore requiring fewer points...at first). Our top choices for home resort are BLT and Boardwalk, since I know that will effect my follow up question.

I’ve heard people say it before that if you’re only staying in Studios then DVC is not worth it. Would you agree with this? Also, is it difficult booking studios (whether home resort or elsewhere)? Or would it make more sense to wait until we can manage enough points to afford 1BR stays. We would definitely be annual visitors(we could live with every other year with a beneficial contract).

Thoughts? Opinions?

I do not believe the model has changed much from what it's always been. If you stay in the onsite deluxe hotel rooms then yes you can make DVC work out a savings. If you normally stay in values or even moderates and are happy doing that then no. 1BR's are simply about larger accommodations and a few more amentities. More of a "I can make it more affordable than paying Disney cash" type of thing but you aren't saving money on a room onsite on a basis of occupancy. If 2BR's are necessary for your family then that has also tended to be an accommodation that might save you money or at least gives you more for the similar cost of 2 deluxe hotel rooms.

With the point creep of the new resorts there's a varying degree of savings these days. Look at the studio point requirements, contract length, the point purchase price via resale and the annual maintenance fees to see what kind of savings you might hope to get.

This all assumes you don't change your habits and stay longer or go more often.

Again, moving up to 1BR's isn't saving money. They are nice without a doubt but for 2 people the studios are the economical lodging vs onsite deluxe hotel rooms. With DVC you do have some trade offs. The need to book at 11 months for most times if you are going to stay in studios is one.

Last edited:
Generally when we go, it is just the 2 of us. I did my research. Initially planned on studios (as most do), but got enough points for a 1BR. After 1 stay in a studio (which is very nice) and then stayed in a 1 BR, we were hooked on the 1BR. Love the space. And if our kids join us, we have plenty of room in the 1 BR.
We own at BWV and AKL for F&W and F&G.
My suggestion is get enough points up front . If anything, with DVC, we go more often and stay longer.

WOW! Thank you all for the tips and advice! To answer some of the common questions.

We typically stay for anywhere from 7-10 nights.

We’d be open between either every year or every other if it was economical.

We’ve always traveled during Summer months(July mostly), but that has been due to schedules. Both of our work schedules are now more open and we’re going to try other times. We’re actually taking our WDW honeymoon next September and it’ll be our first time during that time of year so we’ll see. So essentially that part is up in the air.

I’m familiar with the point charts and such at this point. Just trying to really strategize the best way to go about the purchase if we deem it’s a fit.

I'd never buy DVC for studios. There are plenty of regular hotel rooms on site, and studios have been oversold.

All I can do is to relate OUR story.... YOUR Family may have a very different situation...

We're a retired couple. We go to WDW twice per year, 9 nights. Generally APR and NOV.
Hence? A Studio is GREAT for us.

We bought 300 points at BRV, DIRECT FROM DISNEY - have "Blue Cards". Qualify for TIW & Gold AP.

Right off? Please do two things?

1) BUY WHERE YOU WANT TO STAY. That 11 month booking window is becoming more important every year. NO Resort is truely "sold out" - WDW recovers DVC points at EVERY Resort, Daily. Buy what you WANT - not what DVC is "pushing" this month.

2) DO NOT FINANCE - have about $30K CASH. No Bank will Finance DVC, due to it's nature. Disney Financing will set you back a good 10% plus, per year.

Now, our History - yours may be different...

1) WE LOVE DVC. We hit "break even" vs maximum discount (not "Rack" - "Rack" is a myth) within 6 years.
2) Having hit "break even" - our nightly cost at BRV is about $125, vs $400+, main Hotel.
3) Our children will get our contract, even though it expires in 2042. At 67? Loads of time, with a little for the kids :).
4) We never did any of this until HOUSE, EDUCATION, CC Bills - EVERYTHING, was paid off. To US? This was a WANT - not a NEED.
5) We never expected that DVC was an "investment". Really, it's a prepaid vacation covering the largest expense - room cost.

Now - we are just an old couple. Again, YOUR family may be very different. Please, just take the time to work out the numbers? Free of any sales people?

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

All I can do is to relate OUR story.... YOUR Family may have a very different situation...

We're a retired couple. We go to WDW twice per year, 9 nights. Generally APR and NOV.
Hence? A Studio is GREAT for us.

We bought 300 points at BRV, DIRECT FROM DISNEY - have "Blue Cards". Qualify for TIW & Gold AP.

Right off? Please do two things?

1) BUY WHERE YOU WANT TO STAY. That 11 month booking window is becoming more important every year. NO Resort is truely "sold out" - WDW recovers DVC points at EVERY Resort, Daily. Buy what you WANT - not what DVC is "pushing" this month.

2) DO NOT FINANCE - have about $30K CASH. No Bank will Finance DVC, due to it's nature. Disney Financing will set you back a good 10% plus, per year.

Now, our History - yours may be different...

1) WE LOVE DVC. We hit "break even" vs maximum discount (not "Rack" - "Rack" is a myth) within 6 years.
2) Having hit "break even" - our nightly cost at BRV is about $125, vs $400+, main Hotel.
3) Our children will get our contract, even though it expires in 2042. At 67? Loads of time, with a little for the kids :).
4) We never did any of this until HOUSE, EDUCATION, CC Bills - EVERYTHING, was paid off. To US? This was a WANT - not a NEED.
5) We never expected that DVC was an "investment". Really, it's a prepaid vacation covering the largest expense - room cost.

Now - we are just an old couple. Again, YOUR family may be very different. Please, just take the time to work out the numbers? Free of any sales people?

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Excellent points! Thank you very much. That is one of my internal debates as well. We do not have the house purchased yet. So I do know any cash going to DVC could be better spent that way. DVC is something I’ve always seen myself doing (but as you stated...”want” not “need”

Location should also be a consideration when comparing DVC Studios to Values/Moderates. The price might be comparable, but the location is where DVC wins hands-down (for the most part). You can't walk to any park from a Value or Moderate. You can't boat or monorail to any park from a Value or Moderate. I love being closer to the parks and not having to depend so much on bus transportation. Yes, soon you will be able to take a gondola from a couple of them, so you could factor that in if you like.

Location should also be a consideration when comparing DVC Studios to Values/Moderates. The price might be comparable, but the location is where DVC wins hands-down (for the most part). You can't walk to any park from a Value or Moderate. You can't boat or monorail to any park from a Value or Moderate. I love being closer to the parks and not having to depend so much on bus transportation. Yes, soon you will be able to take a gondola from a couple of them, so you could factor that in if you like.

I agree the convenience factor of transportation from most deluxe resorts have. I overall don’t MIND the busses, but the boats, monorail, etc... is definitely a convenience factor

Eh, while there are DVC resorts that have great transportation options or the ability to walk to a park (or two!), you'll want to make sure to purchase one of those resorts (which it sounds like the OP is planning on doing), and not booking into them at seven months - studio availability at seven months at any of the easy to access, walk to parks, great transportation resorts is iffy. SSR, OKW and VAKL have transportation options similar to moderates and values - and the boats at BRV/CCR are not an improvement over the bus system (unless you enjoy diesel fumes and slow boats).

I agree that Dvc is a want and an emotional decision. We bought in our mid-30’s with two elementary school aged kids back then. Now we have two teens. At the time of purchase, we were well established financially with home, cars, savings, etc. and paid cash for our three contracts. We’re happy we bought when we did and wouldn’t have taken the responsibility as newlyweds.

I have several thoughts on buying. We initially bought in 2006. Added on many times. Bought to stay in condo style (like 1BR and 2BR) rooms due to having 3 kids. We just sold 200 of our 650 points. Not really liking where things are going with WDW and DVC.

So, I'd suggest not to buy right now. I'd even suggest not going to WDW. They are hiking prices and giving you less. When we started our Disney going (2003), it was expensive for us as a young family. But we felt the money was well spent as we got so much for that money. Such great service and truly magical vacations. Not so much anymore. Now it's issue after issue and having to keep doling out more and more money. And DVC is constantly taking things away....perks and trying to rig the point charts to make them more $$ (with the lock-off premium thing). And they just crazily (not a word but fits) up their pricing. And the addition of cabins/bungalows add too big an influx of points where too many folks are vying for studios. I mean, when the pricing is so high folks can only buy small contracts and when cabin/bungalows cost soooooo many points (as do 3BR and 2BR) most folks want the cheaper point rooms (ie: studios). From 2003 until about 2014, Disney and DVC were so great and then 👎👎👎👎

However, you may not feel the same and you may love it. If you do and you want to go often and want to buy a few points...A) I'd recommend buying direct for all the perks UNLESS you are a FL resident (only perk really worth buying direct is the DVC AP pricing). B) Keep in mind BLT studios are THE smallest DVC studios. They are tiny. DH and I did one for 3 nights and it was fine but I would not want to do more than about 5 nights in one and I would not want more than a couple plus a little kid. Also BLT gets you walking ability to MK whereas BWV gets you waling to HS and Epcot. We own at BWV and love it. Love when we can get standard view as we can save points. Love all the drinking and dining options around the Boardwalk area. The studios are a decent size too (though we usually do 1BR, even for just 2 of us).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!