is flying into and out of LAX really that bad?

My DH does not want to fly into LAX even though it would save a lot of money and they have better flight times. he prefers the Orange County airport but I cannot seem to find any deals. Is LAX really that bad?
odd question, but here goes...

Flying into LAX is fine, not pleasant, but fine and if you are not transferring I can't see how this would even be an issue. If you are transferring, well I don't know anything about that process. SNA is nicer, closer and quicker if you are going to Disneyland, that being said it can be a bit more expensive at times. I'd value the cost difference at about $50 a person, which is what I'd spend extra to fly to SNA vs LAX.

Flying into LAX for a LAS transfer.... my main complaint is the terminal change.
  • Do I need to take my luggage to the connecting flight or is it transferred automatically?

That depends entirely on how you book your ticket. If you book everything on one ticket number, with a single airline or partner airlines, your bags will be checked to your final destination.

If you book your flights independently, or on non-partner airlines, you will need to claim your luggage and check it in with the new carrier.

• I'm getting off a plane that I've already been cleared me by security... for a terminal change... YOU WANT ANOTHER luggage, weapons, body, hand, cavity search???!!!

Unfortunately, there's no other option. LAX is an old airport, and the connection train is not yet completed. Further more, other than international travel, unless you are booking multiple legs on multiple carriers independently, most people never change terminals. Regardless of whether or not you were cleared prior to a previous flight, if you exit the terminal for any reason, you must be re-screened for safety purposes.

My DH does not want to fly into LAX even though it would save a lot of money and they have better flight times. he prefers the Orange County airport but I cannot seem to find any deals. Is LAX really that bad?

LAX, like anything else, is all in your perspective. Most people travel stressed and unprepared, so the hectic nature of a massive airport like LAX (or JFK, ATL, etc) is more than they can handle. While SNA is smaller and closer to Disney, there's nothing wrong with LAX. If your hubby isn't comfortable flying into LAX, you could also try BUR, LGB, or ONT.

Flying into LAX for a LAS transfer.... my main complaint is the terminal change.
No wonder LAX has poor ratings...
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/business/20141129/gizmodo-names-lax-one-of-americas-worst-airports

That article sums it up perfectly:

"Let’s get real. LAX is a sprawling, unwieldy monster where 66 million people touch down or take off every year. The traffic is terrible. The lines are long. The food is average to bad.

But it could be remade into a shimmering golden palace and people would still be unhappy. It is a transportation megalopolis, a launching pad to the world. If you’re looking for serenity, go to a retreat. If you want to get somewhere, shut up and get in line."

There is also the airport in Burbank that a lot of people tend to forget about (BUR). Every so often you can find good deals flying in and out of there.
If you rent a car (it's a bit far for a shuttle, but only about an hour from Disneyland), there's also the airport in Carlsbad (CLD) in northern San Diego County - which often has really good deals if you fly United.

That being said, I've never had a problem with LAX. Airport service so often depends entirely on customer service, and facility the size of LAX is like its own mini-city - a different person will be serving you more or less every time you fly in/out of there.
The layout is not great - but it's better than an airport than other hubs like Phoenix (where you have to go through security again if switching airlines on a layover), Miami (which has a great tram system but is literally falling apart in places and often has basic facilities like bathrooms closed), and Atlanta (up to date with great transportation between terminals, but so busy that flights are often delayed or re-routed).

As an international traveller, I have no choice but to fly in and out of LAX. It wouldn't be my first choice (we have flown in and out of SNA for domestic flights too), but I definitely would not give up my trip just to avoid it! If you're just flying in and out, you shouldn't have too many problems. It's when you have to transfer that it starts to get tricky. If you're catching a shuttle, it doesn't matter that the rental car place is off site. The shuttles are easy to find and catch, even if you do hit bad traffic.

I also wouldn't put off my trip just because of inconvenient flight times, even with small children. You may want to keep your first day relatively relaxed if you're flying in late or even early in the morning, but after a proper night's sleep, everyone should be recovered and good to go for however long your trip is. On the other end, if you time your flight back so that you've got at least a full day and night before school/work, then again, it's not really going to matter if everyone's a bit tired and grumpy that first day back.

You never know what's around the corner. If you've got the opportunity to do the trip now, I would do it and just plan around possible slight inconveniences. I know plenty of people who didn't travel when they had the opportunity and regret it now because they can't due to health or financial issues.

There is a lot of traffic and yes it's busy. If you keep in your mind that it will be busy with a lot of traffic & that is your expectation then you will be fine. It's like most large airports and that's to be expected. I wouldn't cancel a trip because of it. I would just plan to take my time & you will be fine.

I don't think LAX is that bad, it's crowded. But I would rather use LAX and save money to spend elsewhere on my vacation

I have friends who refuse to go to LAX and instead take Burbank. I've found that LAX is always cheaper and an okay airport. It's not the best airport, and if you have to change terminals a real pain, but if you are flying in or out of it, you should be fine.

We have flown in and out of LAX for over 5 times in the last 7 years and have always had a good experience. You should be fine. I find it easier than other bigger airports and I've flown in and out of several of them in the US.

I am making my 1st visit to DL in Sept.
I am flying into LAX on SW...flight arrives 11am (I haven't figured out transportation to Disney yet)
4 days later I am flying to Vegas.
For a noon flight how EARLY do I need to leave Anaheim to be at LAX?
I'm kicking around whether I want to fly out of SNA to LAS or LAX to LAS
Would SNA be easier and less aggravation?

I am flying into LAX on SW...flight arrives 11am (I haven't figured out transportation to Disney yet)

Yes. SNA is much closer to DL than LAX. It is also a much smaller airport.

I'd get there early, primarily because LA traffic can be brutal. Rush hour is bad, but even weekends can mean traffic jams.

SNA is generally easier to deal with, but often there are fewer options or the price is higher. There are far more direct flights from different destinations to LAX. I would venture a guess that every origin/destination with a direct flight to/from SNA also has a direct flight to/from LAX.

The only issue with SNA is that those who hate flying might not like the way they perform takeoffs and landings, due to their short runway and their noise abatement requirements.

I found LAX to be no trouble, honestly, and I've flown in and out three times at various times of day.

I've flown in and out of LAX since I was a child, and until I started travelling for work I didn't know that there were nicer airports.

Personally, although LAX isn't a pretty airport, and is extremely busy, it does the job. Other than aesthetics, I find the service there to be decent, and have never had issues.

I have driven to Disneyland from the airport, and know the route well, and have taken various shuttles. I think knowing where to catch the shuttles is a big help. There are different color areas for the types of shuttles that you use, and making note of that ahead of time will save you frustration.

If you would like more help, please PM me. I live 15 minutes from the airport, and work 5 minutes from it (depending on day and traffic :) ). I have a lot of Disney friends, so I'm used to helping them out with airport, transportation, etc. :tilt:

If I was flying across country, I would definitely do LAX.

Really. All things being equal and assuming that the primary purpose is to visit Disneyland, I'd prefer SNA or LGB. Of course all things may not be equal in terms of price, convenient (nonstop) schedule, car rental price/options, etc. However, I've gotten some great deals flying into SNA, and all my car rental rates have been outstanding. The simplicity of the terminal and the car rental center across the street will save time, and the traffic in the area along with the shorter distance make it a better option.

Really. All things being equal and assuming that the primary purpose is to visit Disneyland, I'd prefer SNA or LGB. Of course all things may not be equal in terms of price, convenient (nonstop) schedule, car rental price/options, etc. However, I've gotten some great deals flying into SNA, and all my car rental rates have been outstanding. The simplicity of the terminal and the car rental center across the street will save time, and the traffic in the area along with the shorter distance make it a better option.

I live here, so it is almost àlways cheaper for me to fly in and out of LAX, with Long Beach as the back up. If I didn't and I was going to DL, I would use SNA or Long Beach. Since she is already in the OC, SNA seems simpler. Hopefully that makes sense.

I live here, so it is almost àlways cheaper for me to fly in and out of LAX, with Long Beach as the back up. If I didn't and I was going to DL, I would use SNA or Long Beach. Since she is already in the OC, SNA seems simpler. Hopefully that makes sense.

Well - I was thinking of the OP, who mentioning flying IN. My basic assumption was that the primary reason was to visit Disneyland.

• The A shuttle to change terminals was kinda frustrating to find and to locate the bus stop. It's worse if you can't read English. Do I need to take my luggage to the connecting flight or is it transferred automatically?
  • I'm getting off a plane that I've already been cleared me by security... for a terminal change... YOU WANT ANOTHER luggage, weapons, body, hand, cavity search???!!! This adds to my travel delays!
No wonder LAX has poor ratings...
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/business/20141129/gizmodo-names-lax-one-of-americas-worst-airports

That article is hilarious. Every airport listed was a large, international airport. Lots of people (and planes) fly into and out of them. Of course they are crowded and huge and expensive and sometimes hard to navigate. That's what happens when thousands of people come through one place each day. If that's what "Gizmodo" considers "the worst", I hope he has fun flying into tiny airports for thousands of extra dollars...:thumbsup2

To the OP: LAX is fine. Give yourself plenty of time if you are connecting. Otherwise, yeah, it's busy. But if you've traveled before, it's fine!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter