Is Hollywood Brown Derby worth 2 credits??

Jms81

Earning My Ears
Going in September 2017, with the dining plan. Wondering if Hollywood Brown Derby is worth the 2 credits it takes? Would I be better served to just eat there at the lounge and pay out of pocket. Do you need reservations to eat in the lounge?

"worth it" is so subjective. Some people love the Brown Derby. Others don't like it at all. I was fine with using two credits for my meal, but I'm fine with paying OOP if I'm not on the dining plan. Look at the menu and see what it would cost for the meal you'd be ordering. Only you can determine if it's worth it.

I usually like most Disney table service restaurants but this place, imho, has been going the wrong way for the last year or so and is now simply inconsistent. Sometimes very good, other times... bewildering. The common internet review sites seem to agree.

You don't need reservations for the lounge, but depending on what the weather is like when you are there in September it may be very hot and you might not want to dine at the lounge.

As for dining plan versus out of pocket: I'm not sure how many are in your party but it might be worth using two credits for one meal (like if this is date night) and pay out of pocket for "extras" to share like the delicious Cobb Salad and/or an extra dessert. My partner and I have shared the full size salad and a burger at lunch and both been full so if you're interested in the salad I would go that route. The steak is particularly "worth it" to me, not sure I would feel the same about other entrees.

I love the Brown Derby for a nice relaxing spot to get out of weather and crowds and have always had really great food there. Worth two credits for me for a special meal, but that's just my two cents.

For me it isn't worth 2 credits, but I am not really of a fan of the menu. That's it just my personal opinion. Like another poster said above, worth is different for everyone, check out the menu and see if it appeals to you.

I've eaten there OOP but I often like to order two appies for my meal and that is the route I took. I did lunch with the the smaller order of the Cobb salad and the crab cakes and it was perfect. I love the rolls here (I could have eaten the whole basket!) and they have my favourite strawberry lime cider. So it was a definite win for me. I think with tax and tip it was about $34 OOP.

While I have enjoyed my meals there (OOP), I think if I were using the dining plan that there are better choices for signatures. With that said, I do find that HBD or the HBD lounge are the best options at HS - IMO the other dining options in that park are not great, so if your schedule has you stuck there, HBD/HBD lounge makes sense.

I really like it. I've hung off going here for near enough 18 years, then started going a couple of years ago. It's on our list again this time. Have always found the service very good, friendly and accommodating, and the food consistently good. Downside the last time was the table of uncontrolled kids nearby who nearly knocked the server over several times.

I enjoy the restaurant, but whether you think it's "worth" the 2 credits depends on what you think you'd order. I plan on going early August and paying OOP for the Cobb salad and burger to share with my sister, as pepperandchips mentioned. You could always make and ADR to eat indoors and just not use credits as well. If you were looking at ordering more expensive entrees, I think HBD is a good choice for credit redemption, especially if you want to maximize your in park time.

I would do OOP, as we have in the past. When going to a signature restaurant, I usually sample 1-2 appetizers (like a salad and soup, or salad and hot appetizer) and a dessert to see if I like the food. Sometimes I will choose an entrée if something sounds good.

Their grapefruit cake gets rave reviews, but I didn't think it was anything special.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter