Is it a good assumption that Splash will be closed for refurb in January?

chris4disney

DIS Veteran
I'm looking around online, but don't see anywhere announcing that Splash Mountain will be closed in January for Refurbishment. Typically it is closed for some length of time every January, correct? Wouldn't they have announced a refurbishment/closure by now?

My guess is that the timing of this will be around the rumored BTM down time for the upgrades as there would be no way WDW would have both closed at the same time.

They didn't close it for refurbishment this year. I highly doubt they'd skip another year. The rumored BTM refurb, if it happens, would hopefully not start until Splash is back up.

I'm going in mid to late January and would really hate to miss Splash Mountain. It's my favorite ride in MK (by far) and probably second favorite in all of Disney (behind Tower of Terror). Any further info on this? My two prior trips were in January 2016 and January 2020 and Splash Mountain was open both times.

Ugh. And now I see that Test Track is closing during that time too. I'm seriously considering just cancelling my trip at this point. My family and I are rides people and I just don't know if there's enough in WDW to justify the expense.
Two rides being down makes or breaks a trip? What if these rides went down due to a break down during your trip?

Two rides being down makes or breaks a trip? What if these rides went down due to a break down during your trip?
Perhaps a bit of an exaggeration but I’m already somewhat on the fence. We last went to Disney and Universal 4 years ago and I’m just not sure if we need another trip. Plus My wife doesn’t really want to go. She’s willing but this definitely isn’t her idea of a vacation.

When you add a few rides that are key rides that won’t be open it starts to swing me a little the other way. I mean there really aren’t very many rides in each of the parks. I’d probably just push off the trip another year except my 17 year old is going to be away next year.

I think I’ll continue with the trip and just hope the Star Wars stuff is really good. That and I really want to go on the new Harry Potter ride in Universal.

Perhaps a bit of an exaggeration but I’m already somewhat on the fence. We last went to Disney and Universal 4 years ago and I’m just not sure if we need another trip. Plus My wife doesn’t really want to go. She’s willing but this definitely isn’t her idea of a vacation.

When you add a few rides that are key rides that won’t be open it starts to swing me a little the other way. I mean there really aren’t very many rides in each of the parks. I’d probably just push off the trip another year except my 17 year old is going to be away next year.

I think I’ll continue with the trip and just hope the Star Wars stuff is really good. That and I really want to go on the new Harry Potter ride in Universal.
You have a net gain really. Star Wars, Toy Story, and Pandora all were not open 4 years ago.

You have a net gain really. Star Wars, Toy Story, and Pandora all were not open 4 years ago.
This is the sort of gain my family will have - we last went in January 2015. Thus, Star Wars, Pandora, and TSL will all be new.

I'm also disappointed that Splash will be down for refurb for most of our trip - but we arrive on the 4th. So, I may make some adjustments to our plans.

Right, really looking forward to Pandora. My family already loved AK. Adding Pandora should only help. AK was our favorite park last time.

What this means is that Epcot becomes a short day park. Even though my kids are older (17, 13 and 11) we don't really like the World Showcase stuff too much. We eat Kosher so the food in Epcot is irrelevant and the World Showcase stuff has always been fairly boring for all of us. We'll probably do Epcot on Friday (our short day because of the Sabbath starting at sundown and the preparation needed) and come back Saturday night for the night show.

Definitely agree with this. I'm also going in January - Splash is my favorite, and we only got to ride it one day on our last trip for the same reason, but I'd never reschedule a trip over one or two rides being closed. Something will always be closed. There are still plenty of rides to ride, shows to see, resorts to explore, etc. We'll be fine :upsidedow

We are there last week of January. Does this mean that BTMR will most likely stay open then? Kids didn't get to ride it in 2016 and would be devastated if it was closed this time too. They won't close both mountains at the same time will they??

We are there last week of January. Does this mean that BTMR will most likely stay open then? Kids didn't get to ride it in 2016 and would be devastated if it was closed this time too. They won't close both mountains at the same time will they??
We’re there then too and I’m really hoping not. Fingers crossed we still get Big Thunder!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter