Is it okay to laminate luggage tags?

JuicyFruit

Mouseketeer
I've heard we now have to print off our own luggage tags for our Oasis cruise. I've read stories about tags not being secure on very well and luggage gets lost, etc. I was thinking of laminating them and securing it with cables ties. Is it okay to laminate them?

I can't say I've had issues. But with that said I use 1 sheet of paper per tag and make liberal use of a stapler to try and ensure that thing stays on.

Not sure about laminating but wanted to tell you I bought plastic luggage tag holders (specific to RCCL) from Amazon. They were inexpensive!

In prepping for our first RCCL I have seen these luggage tag holders for sale as well in a number of places. Seems like a good low cost alternative to a luggage delay!

Not sure about laminating but wanted to tell you I bought plastic luggage tag holders (specific to RCCL) from Amazon. They were inexpensive!

Did the same thing, and they're reusable too!

The main reason I bought them is I didn't want to attach the tags at home, since we were flying (to Miami, in our case) and spending a couple of nights before the cruise. I didn't want to trust the tags holding up after the flight by stapling them prior to leaving and I didn't want to bring stapler/tape, nor did I want to count on the hotel doing that (although I'm sure they would)

Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale 17th street was the first place I've ever seen a cruise luggage tag station... which was basically pens and a bunch of staplers, but still.

Starvenger- we are staying there in less than 3 weeks now! Can’t wait! Thanks for all the advice over the last year lol! One last question- maybe!- would you get to PE at 10 or 10:30?

Glad I've been of assistance.

I'd try to leave the hotel at 10 if you're cabbing/Lyfting it over. Might be a little early, but better that you're lounging around waiting to board rather than waiting to get through security and such. I've never made it to PE before 11, and it's been PACKED each time. It is, however, rather quick once you get past the security check (we were able to walk right up to an agent to finalize the check in), so there's that.

Of course, if you absolutely need some last minute things and need to go to Publix/Dollar Tree, try to leave by 10:30.

When we sail Royal and have to print out our own luggage tags, I put clear packing tape on both sides of the folded up luggage tag and secure it to the luggage with a couple of staples. I've never had any trouble doing this. I assume that using packing tape is the equivalent of laminating it.

I do "arts and crafts" with my RCCL tags all the time. Laminate them, then use a hole puncher to make a hole, and wrap a pipe cleaner through the hole and use that to attach the tags to my bags. Never had a problem.

I have the plastic holders and don’t like them.

And I won’t arts&crafts.

I just get to the pier and have the luggage handlers make the tags for me on the spot. I have my printed confirmation so they can read (not rely on my memory or their hearing) the cabin number and they stick the tags on the handles and off they go.

You can definitely laminate them, they are yours to do what you want. When I first started sailing with RCL, I used to bring a small roll of packing tape. I used it to basically laminate the tags and also used it secure it to my luggage. Once I started sailing exclusively with RC I invested in the tags from Amazon.

I second the plastic luggage tags -- we've been using them since 2015, never lost one or had one rip or crack (they are soft plastic) and they protect your paper tag from water. They're great.

When we went on our cruises, we printed out the luggage tags at home, folded them, used packing tape to "seal" them. At the hotel either the night before or the morning of embarkation, we used a stapler (provided by the hotel) to attach the tags to the luggage. No problem.

If we cruised more, we'd probably get the luggage tag holders, but for a one off, I don't think they're worth it.

Thanks to this thread, I ordered a set of the luggage tag holders. I've always been nervous about using the printed tags after having lost enough luggage to airplane malfeasance. Hopefully this will ease that concern. If it turns out they're not for us then I'll give them to other friends who cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!