Is it really that hot in the summer?

Yes, I think so. Just to clarify, though, I incorrectly stated that the water lotion is mineral based. It is not. But, it still works AMAZINGLY WELL. I used it again this weekend at Disneyland. 8 hours in the blazing sun and one application kept me the same color I was when I left the house. No burn or tan at all. I also bought the spray version, but have not tested that out in swimming situations and such, although it also gets stellar reviews.
Thanks! Sounds like it’s worth a try!

I also burn really easily and I'm prone to get sick if just a small area of skin gets burned. I'm also a fan of Columbia gear. They have hats, sleeves ( think runner sleeves), shirts, all with the cooling technology. I have a wide brimmed hat with that technology and it's awesome- very comfortable and my head doesn't sweat nearly as much as in other hats. I'm also a big fan of Badger sun screen. It does leave a white residue but you won't even get a tan with it. I used it on my face during a surf trip. My face got badly burned the first day and I used the badger and despite being out in the water for 2-4 hours each day not only did I not get more burned my burn was gone by the end of the 5 day trip.

I normally visit Disneyland and I always take a parasol with me ( it's one you can buy in the park). It's small enough to keep me in the shade from the waist up and even the tightest lines at DL I'm not poking people. I don't use it from walking from ride to ride when it's busy but any time I'm standing it's up.

Going to WDW in late June, and my plan is to wear long pants, a jacket, and a large hat in the parks everyday because I get sunburn easily. I’ve never been in Florida that time of year. Is it really as hot as people that talk about how hot it is say? I tend to be a little cold in air conditioning so maybe I’ll be ok?
I am FROM central florida, born and raised. I am a ginger who burns easily
This past Monday I went to Animal Kingdom in a long sleeved shirt (trying to protect my arms) with shorts and a hat. I collapsed around 3:00pm after being there about 3 hours. My boyfriend had to go get me a water and powerade, get a wheelchair and wheel me to the front, then get our car and picked me up at the front. We ended up going over to AKL for a couple of hours to get out of the sun and going back around 6:45. I really advise AGAINST wearing long sleeves in this heat and humidity. The feels like temperature (in May) was 106 degrees farenheit. It will be hot and humid and awful. Do not underestimate it.

I am FROM central florida, born and raised. I am a ginger who burns easily
This past Monday I went to Animal Kingdom in a long sleeved shirt (trying to protect my arms) with shorts and a hat. I collapsed around 3:00pm after being there about 3 hours. My boyfriend had to go get me a water and powerade, get a wheelchair and wheel me to the front, then get our car and picked me up at the front. We ended up going over to AKL for a couple of hours to get out of the sun and going back around 6:45. I really advise AGAINST wearing long sleeves in this heat and humidity. The feels like temperature (in May) was 106 degrees farenheit. It will be hot and humid and awful. Do not underestimate it.
That... is the best description of this I’ve seen so far. I had a similar experience at MK in August.

That seems like a terrible idea. You will overheat. Wear hats with neck covers and breathable UPF rated clothing. Use sunscreen and reapply regularly in the parks.

I just want to mention the fact that wearing long sleeves and long pants in really hot weather is fine IF AND ONLY IF you are in a desert environment. Do not attempt this in Florida in the summer. You could literally die.

Just got back from a week at WDW.
The heat really did us in.
We ended up going to the parks for an hour or two in the morning, nap and pool in the afternoon and back to the parks at 7pm.
It really is that hot!

I live in central Florida and I’ll give away a little secret. We wear Reel Legends Reel Tec shirts, shorts, and skorts a lot! If you get them at Bealsflorida.com you can get them for half off, making them around $10 for kids or less than $20 for adults. They have sunscreen built in, and are actually cooler on hot days if you are standing in the sun than bare arms. If they get wet they dry fast, and a slight breeze will cool you. I even have a white button down shirt from that line that I’ll use as a jacket over a sundress to keep the sun off my arms and back.

Adding to the mix - its hot. We were there last week and have been there in July and August before. It's hot.
I agree with the hat, but I think long pants will be a challenge. I'm dealing with skin cancer, so the sun is a big concern for me. But I could never wear long pants down there. It's a lot of sunscreen, then reapply often.

I wouldn't worry so much about sunburn. Yes, it is hot and humid, which is why you will be inside or under cover most of the time.

Going to WDW in late June, and my plan is to wear long pants, a jacket, and a large hat in the parks everyday because I get sunburn easily. I’ve never been in Florida that time of year. Is it really as hot as people that talk about how hot it is say? I tend to be a little cold in air conditioning so maybe I’ll be ok?
It’s very hot but since it does rain pretty much every day cloud cover can be good. I would bring an umbrella for super sunny long walks. But we have gone Labor Day weekend and it’s hot. You will be soaking wet if you wear long clothing from sweat.

We got home Wednesday. As I mentioned, I'm on a medication, that is pretty much like "stay out of the sun, you will get sun poisoning, please go to the nearest ER if you develop sun related symptons." I'm not just fair (which I am). Please do not wear a fricking jacket in 100+degree real feel weather. We stayed in for the worst of the sun except for one day in Diagon Alley which is pretty shady and it was still grueling. It's literally built on a swamp.

We were teachers for 33 years - retired as of 5/29/19!!
We live south of Atlanta - it was been in the high 90s the past 2 weeks - broke records - so we are used to heat and humidity.

We have visited WDW many times in the summer always for a week or more. (forget short trips)
5 times in June
2 times in July
2 times in August

(two times in February - once cold and once hot)

We drive (6.5 hours) and always stop at the Florida Welcome Center on 75. EVERYTIME we open van door we are hit with heat like an oven.

I am getting older and I may take a small umbrella for the next trip. As little clothing as is allowed. I used to have a Disney wardrobe that I didn't wear around home -- not indecent but a little less than I am comfortable bumping into my students wearing.

SUN SCREEN and Breaks in the middle of the day!
As others said - We were at rope drop (we were "The Opening Family" at MK once) and left by 11:30 - Back about 5:00

I don’t love blasting A/C -usually. Summer in Florida is different and I look forward to that ice cold A/C lol.

Like others have mentioned, a good sunblock, proper clothing, and good timing- maybe avoiding parks midday- and you got this.

We were married at WDW a few years ago on June 9. I almost passed out and was dripping in sweat during the day when we were outside taking photos in our wedding attire.

Haha...yes it is hot. Don’t wear that.

Born and raised in South Florida. Yes its hot. The problem with orlando as well is that it is landlocked and there is no breeze. When it rains, the sun comes up right away , bringing up the rain on the floor and making it a sauna. I always get a kick from seeing the reactions of some people that have never had their glasses fog up.

I would warn you about long pants.. and if you want to wear long sleeves, make sure it breathable. Dont bother with blowdrying your hair and if you are a make up person, make sure its water or sweat proof. For people that have never lived here, it can be a bit of a shock.

I was raised in Miami, Fl. and am more tolerant than most in heat.
I don't mind sweating , I like walking in the rain, I am a runner and don't mind being uncomfortable.
That being said, "is it really as hot as people say"?
Hell yes, and more humid than Hell.
With too many people around on a concrete jungle.
Wear your hat and sunscreen, buy a light rain poncho, it rains often too. Forget the long pants long sleeves etc.
Keep drinking water.
Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter