Is it still worth it to bring RV to Disney?

Yes I'm about 45 minutes from Holiday World and they have a great campground

Lake Rudolph - great place. My FIL lives in Corydon. Only been to LR once, and Holiday World was closed (August), but we enjoyed it. We expect to be back there next summer as we pass through from WI to WDW.

As for the Fort, I want to echo Ed's comments about comparing the Fort to a value. It comes up often, but they are in no way comparable. The boat transportation to MK, alone, puts the Fort in a category only otherwise enjoyed by deluxe resorts. Add in the entertainment (some of which is free), the recreational opportunities, the space one gets for the money, etc. and the two are apples and oranges. We've stayed in every level of Disney resorts, a few trips to the Fort, and own DVC, and we enjoy them all very much - but I wouldn't attempt to create an apples to apples comparison between the Fort and any of the other resorts, it's just too unique an experience.

Add our family to the list of people who enjoy Fort Wilderness. We did a cabin a couple years back and loved it here. We bought a 5th wheel last month and are currently in the middle of a 3-week stay. My only complaint? It's so darn hard to find the cheap hookup sites at FW for lengthy stays. All we could find was Premium Meadows, which stings a bit. 😜

So we now have a 34' travel trailer, new truck, widened driveway, generator, weight distribution bar, power surger, and a bunch of other stuff :) bit of a money pit. Reservations for FW in May and October. We laughed today as we passed Walmart, I said we can spend the night in Walmart parking lot 😂

So we now have a 34' travel trailer, new truck, widened driveway, generator, weight distribution bar, power surger, and a bunch of other stuff :) bit of a money pit. Reservations for FW in May and October. We laughed today as we passed Walmart, I said we can spend the night in Walmart parking lot 😂
Hate to do this to you, but without pictures, it didn't happen!
Good luck with the new set up!

Hate to do this to you, but without pictures, it didn't happen!
Good luck with the new set up!

I'll wait right here and hope for some pix.

Waiting%20PP%20Croc_zpsz3pdit4u.gif

Seriously, congrats! Go camp at some nearby state park for a couple nights if you have any camping time left this season in Indiana. Better to have all the learning experiences sooner rather than later.

Bama Ed

I've done split stays 2 out of the last 3 Disney trips between FW and the local Kissimmee KOA, last time 5 nights at the fort followed by 4 at KOA, and the first 5 followed by 2 at the KOA. Also did a 6 night KOA only in between. Sorry, but between $1400 Platinum Annual Passes and $100+ nightly rates they've hit my price point. Love the fort, but the KOA has its advantages too. There's a ton of nearby food possibilities, they keep the pool open 23 hours a day in non Covid times (they closed it at 9 in Sept.) and I requested close to the pool last 2 times and it was nice being less than a hundred feet away.

Yes I'm about 45 minutes from Holiday World and they have a great campground
You're in a great spot for sure. We like Lincoln State Park & have camped there a few times.

We're in Indiana also & very briefly contemplated leaving. Indiana has it all as far as we're concerned. We spent the last 5 winters in the Fort but not this winter due to the restrictions. We're looking forward to going back when we can. We've just sold our previous camper and got the news today that our new one is being built so we can't wait to wander back.

We are DVC members so could stay in one of those but having our stuff at hand, being able to cook our own meals (we do eat out occasionally) and not have to wonder if one of the myriad of Disney room checkers will wonder in.

Get your RV, have a blast. Indiana has some great places to camp & there are a number of good places on the way too and from the Fort.

We love the atmosphere of the Fort. My sister always uses the argument that a value is about the same price, but we enjoy non-park days, and there is so much more to do at Fort Wilderness, plus there is the boat access to the Magic Kingdom and can then ride the monorail to the MK resorts. I know Pop has the Skyliner now, but the pace and atmosphere at Pop is different. The Fort is a boat ride from the Magic Kingdom, yet feels a world away. Plus, as previous posters mentioned, it is nice being able to make your own meals, have a bathroom en route, and not have to worry about bedbugs. Our retirement dreams are to spend a lot of time at Ft. Wilderness, but we figured we would intersperse Disney stays with Florida State park stays. We are staying at one about an hour away for about $22 a night later this fall.

Yes and we stayed at a Value once and hated it. I think they have nicer ones now but weren't fans. With kids maybe but just two adults didn't work for us. Now if comparing to a Moderate maybe but still the Fort has the location.

I would definitely go the Fort and then check out some of the beautiful state parks in Florida or other. We always do that and usually only stay 2 weeks tops in Florida. Have to book early tho.

You're in a great spot for sure. We like Lincoln State Park & have camped there a few times.

We're in Indiana also & very briefly contemplated leaving. Indiana has it all as far as we're concerned. We spent the last 5 winters in the Fort but not this winter due to the restrictions. We're looking forward to going back when we can. We've just sold our previous camper and got the news today that our new one is being built so we can't wait to wander back.

We are DVC members so could stay in one of those but having our stuff at hand, being able to cook our own meals (we do eat out occasionally) and not have to wonder if one of the myriad of Disney room checkers will wonder in.

Get your RV, have a blast. Indiana has some great places to camp & there are a number of good places on the way too and from the Fort.
I would love to hear your recommendations for places to stop on the way to the Fort. Hopefully we will be going in January. We have to learn how to back this thing in before then :)

I'll wait right here and hope for some pix.

Waiting%20PP%20Croc_zpsz3pdit4u.gif

Seriously, congrats! Go camp at some nearby state park for a couple nights if you have any camping time left this season in Indiana. Better to have all the learning experiences sooner rather than later.

Bama Ed
[/QUOTE

We are so slow. I haven't got the truck and trailer hooked up yet so I can take pics. Since we need to learn to back it up I should be able to get some in the next few weeks. Fortunately my son-in-law trains truckers :)

Backing is a skill you learn by doing.

I've made every mistake in the book (although kids/wife was there to spot for me and help me avoid hitting solid objects). But it's one of those things you learning by doing. Over and over. In different settings.

Till it becomes second nature.

You can do this. ::yes::

Bama Ed

PS - when spring comes camp a couple different weekends (short trips close to home) and get a feel for it.

You can learn to back in? Tbh , it gets easier, but no one ever really learns :teeth: thats why we all sit in watch when everanyone arrives and backs in. If they get it easy, it was a fluke!

Kidding, it comes with practice, and some spots are harder thwn others. No big deal we have all been there.

This shows our arrival from leaving I4 all the way thru backing in to the campsite at the Fort. It also gives an idea of how you will see people parked in different sites, and obstacles one may encounter. Now of course we are a little bigger than most, with a 43 foot trailer.

We have a mini (T@g) and himself has never been able to back that puppy up. He found it easier to just unhitch and roll it into place lol. It's been very easy to do at the Fort, but we learned not to move the mini too far from the pavement because for some odd it just doesn't roll the same on the sand 🤔.

it just doesn't roll the same on the sand 🤔.
Imagine that. :)

I have found that really short trailers are MUCH harder to back in, especially with a long wheelbase truck. They get going in the wrong direction so fast that the truck can't catch up with it. I much prefer backing a trailer where the trailer wheelbase is longer than the truck's.

I won't talk about the time I tried backing a jet ski trailer down a boat ramp with my long wheelbase crewcab dually. The trailer was completely jack knifed before I could see it in the mirrors.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!