is it true that people steal from Fish Extenders??

PollyBrit

Brit in GA!
Someone told me today that they knew someone who had their fish extender hanger stolen on a cruise... that's awful! Does anyone have any experience of this, or gifts being stolen??

I have had cruise magnets stolen off of our doors regularly, and not kids placing them just down the corridor, adults do it.

I have found my magnets on the doors of staterooms on different decks, - we now print the stateroom number or names on ours.

You would think some things would be safe on a cruise.

Yes it does happen. It's why I personalize our FE as well as magnets. It doesn't stop sticky fingers from taking out of the FE but if that's happened to us we didn't notice. Kind of the chance you take.

I used green floral wire to attach mine to our hook because I was worried about that too. Won't prevent someone who's committed but at least it would take them longer to take it. I hope it also helps that our names are on them, can't exactly use them if they steal them.
We did have someone steal one of our magnets. It was a cute little bottle cap with a princess photo on it and it was a FE gift. My daughter was upset.

I have read reports of this happening but don't think it happened very often. I'm sure to certain folks (kids and adults) it would be tempting to take something
just staring you in the face as you walk the corridor. However, you should be able to count on keeping yours.

Yup.

We had a cabin right by the elevator and a very large FE group. We didn't seem to receive a lot of gifts though. When we got home and saw others posting pictures of the stuff they received, we quickly realised that stuff had been pinched from our FE.

Yup.

We had a cabin right by the elevator and a very large FE group. We didn't seem to receive a lot of gifts though. When we got home and saw others posting pictures of the stuff they received, we quickly realised that stuff had been pinched from our FE.
We made sure to check our FE every time we walked near our door and we were a little farther from the elevators. Maybe that helped, keeping an eye on it when we could.

I do think this is far more widespread than some think.

Yes areas that are quieter should be safer, those near elevators will have more stolen.

But it does occur.

Four issues posted in twenty minutes since thread started!

Magnets and FE items have "walked away" on every Disney cruise we've been on. In fact, on our most recent cruise I opened our stateroom door to catch two ADULTS rummaging through the magnets on our door. They took off running and I notified our stateroom attendant who said there was very little he could do about it other than tell us to remove the magnets. We ended up moving them to the inside of our stateroom door. On that same cruise our FE pockets were pretty barren, even though we were in a fairly large group. Like @PrincessTrisha above, we returned from that trip to see photos of amazing FE gifts we never received.

The one that irks me the most is the theft of personalized magnets. My daughter had a magnet with a picture of her on her horse. Both of their names were printed on it as well. That one "walked away" one afternoon while we were on an excursion. Why? The odds of you having the same name as my daughter and owning a horse that looks reasonably similar with the exact same name are astronomical. I guess someone really wanted a horse magnet?

Another annoying occurrence is when people think it's cute to write vulgar statements on the white board hanging on your door. We ended up taking down our white board after someone or various someones kept writing nasty things on it during our most recent cruise. Usually we would use the white board to trade messages with other people in our FE group or within our own family, but that is over. The white board won't be making the trip to Alaska next month!

We won't let those few bad occurrences prevent us from participating in FE groups or having magnets, we'll just be more conservative with our activities and how much we share. Trust me, the inside of our stateroom door will be MARVELOUS!

Well except after dinner there was never a time that I didn't see a stateroom attendant in and out of the hall. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but when do people get the chance?

We had someone in our last group have some gifts stolen out of their FE but not the FE hanger itself. This family was towards the back on the ship by the laundry room which I would guess makes it a more high traveled area. It was sad because we were a fairly small group to begin with, only 6 cabins participating so having a couple of those gifts swiped meant those kids had very little in their FE throughout the cruise. I hope whoever thought it was ok to steal from those kids got sick from the candy and broke out in hives with the lotion.

Magnets and FE items have "walked away" on every Disney cruise we've been on. In fact, on our most recent cruise I opened our stateroom door to catch two ADULTS rummaging through the magnets on our door. They took off running and I notified our stateroom attendant who said there was very little he could do about it other than tell us to remove the magnets. We ended up moving them to the inside of our stateroom door. On that same cruise our FE pockets were pretty barren, even though we were in a fairly large group. Like @PrincessTrisha above, we returned from that trip to see photos of amazing FE gifts we never received.

The one that irks me the most is the theft of personalized magnets. My daughter had a magnet with a picture of her on her horse. Both of their names were printed on it as well. That one "walked away" one afternoon while we were on an excursion. Why? The odds of you having the same name as my daughter and owning a horse that looks reasonably similar with the exact same name are astronomical. I guess someone really wanted a horse magnet?

Another annoying occurrence is when people think it's cute to write vulgar statements on the white board hanging on your door. We ended up taking down our white board after someone or various someones kept writing nasty things on it during our most recent cruise. Usually we would use the white board to trade messages with other people in our FE group or within our own family, but that is over. The white board won't be making the trip to Alaska next month!

We won't let those few bad occurrences prevent us from participating in FE groups or having magnets, we'll just be more conservative with our activities and how much we share. Trust me, the inside of our stateroom door will be MARVELOUS!
Good post- very accurate.
Well except after dinner there was never a time that I didn't see a stateroom attendant in and out of the hall. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but when do people get the chance?
13 cruises, seen many times no attendant, and even if thry saw something, how do thry know their not friends, family, etc, so the will not intervene unless you mention it, and you will be directed to guest services.

I have even had cruisers, come in my room! First day embarkation, we got in our room 1 pm, ( concierge deck 8), barriers for rooms open at 1.30pm. Our door was open due to a maintenance issue. We were in the room, as we knew the door was open.

We then heard, " let's go and look inside a suite" a man followed by his fsmily walk in our room, we are there, he turned around with is family. If cruisers do this they do not have any respect.

We had someone in our last group have some gifts stolen out of their FE but not the FE hanger itself. This family was towards the back on the ship by the laundry room which I would guess makes it a more high traveled area. It was sad because we were a fairly small group to begin with, only 6 cabins participating so having a couple of those gifts swiped meant those kids had very little in their FE throughout the cruise. I hope whoever thought it was ok to steal from those kids got sick from the candy and broke out in hives with the lotion.

Yes, it's a few who do it, like all walks of life some think about themselves only, and ignore the hurt thier actions cause.

My last cruise was the first time I put my own magnets on the door. They were both personalized. I did wonder if they would be stolen, based on things I've read here, but they weren't. There was one time when I opened my stateroom door and a teenagers face was right in the doorway. She said, "My bad," and walked away. I thought maybe she was just looking at the magnets, idk. It was a bit creepy though to open the door to an immediate face.

We had magnets and door decorations taken. We tie our fish extender with twine, so someone would have to have scissors to take it, but we have had it used as a trash bin more than once!

We are sure we had stuff go missing. We usually tie our FE to the fish hook and cut it off at the end of the trip.

We try to make ours with deep pockets so people are less likely to steal. I also had one made with zip up pockets. That way it is clear this is not a take what you want offering.

We ziptied our FE to the fish. I packed a small plyer to cut it at the end of the trip. Our magnets were all personalized and no one took any of them. I do not think we had anything stolen from ours. We tried to check it every few hours.

Our magnets were moved around every time we returned to our room. It's so incredibly rude. Why mess with something that isn't yours? Luckily we were able to find all of our magnets,but a few were moved a few doors down.

It is unfortunate that there are always some people that have no morals. However on a positive note, I have been in 5 different FE exchanges, all at the midship elevator entrance, and have never had a problem with theft. I do however zip tie my FE to the holder and I use a deep tote bag for my FE. I also have never had my magnets disturbed, except when my room host added some magnets helping to celebrate our anniversary! It's not always bad but just take some protective measures to guard against theft. Have fun!

I had planned on making the mickey body magnets that go around the big round stateroom number on the door. Has anyone on here made those and had them stolen? This is very upsetting because this will be my first Disney cruise and I have been waiting for years to do this and make these for my door :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!